Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Allow to change subnets modification with enabled vnet peering

Currentl once vnet is deployed and peering is created with another subscription or vnet. Once the peering is set, it is not possible to extend,remove or add another subnets ranges to all vnets which have valid peering configured. For such if you need to modify the subnet, you have to remove the peering (might cause downtime if peering is used), do the subnet modification and recreate the peering again.

181 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. subdomain cloudapp.net (etc.) rather than having a global namespace

It would be nice to be able to not have to use globally unique server / service / website names. It would be cool to have the ability to tie an extra level of subdomain to each of the various parts of Azure. This would mean I could do: web01.foocorp.cloudapp.net etc.

160 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. WAF file size limit to be increased

Currently as the WAF limit is set to 100mb, we cannot process our large files which could hit 500mb for example.

Can you please increase the WAF file silze limit? To possibly 1GB / 2GB

142 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      6 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Fallback to custom URL when content not found

Would be good if MS could provide fallback to custom URLs when content is not found on CDN

134 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Content Delivery Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Allow transitive network flow between peered VNET's

if we assume Three networks.

VNET1 <> VNET2 <>VNET3

<> denotes vnet peering

A machine on VNET1 cannot directly see a machine in VNET3

We would like this facility to enable us to build a network design without having to use vitual network appliances to make this happen.

130 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      10 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. update DNS settings for VNET without restart of the VMs to take effect

Current when we try to update the DNS settings in the VNET or NIC, it required the VMs to be restarted to take effect. But when there are a large amount of VMs under the VNET, it would be a hard work to do so.
      If this process could be simplify so that the restarted of VM will be no longer required, it would be a good news.

130 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Increase Idle Timeout on Internal Load Balancers to 120 Mins

We use Azure Internal Load Balancers to front services which make use of direct port mappings for backend connections that are longer than the 30 min upper limit on the ILB. That is, our ILBs accept port connections on a nominated set of ports and pass those connections to the backend services running on the same ports.
      We are experiencing dropped TCP connections from clients connecting to the backend services via the ILB. After investigating the issue in collaboration with the Azure Networking Team it was verified that altering the default OS TCP keep alive duration to below 30mins would…

129 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Allow native VPN S2S from Azure to AWS

Azure coexistence with AWS (and even GCP) is a very common scenario. Currently the only way to connect Azure and AWS is using a combination of Azure Virtual Network Gateway with a VM (Strongswan, OpenVPN, RRAS) deployed in AWS. We have no documentation around it, while Google provides VPN interoperability guidelines (here: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/vpn/interop-guides).

This is complicated to manage when you add things such as High Availability and all the required configuration. Also, these manual configurations are never the most optmized.

I understand we have a few different parameters vs. AWS and that's why Azure can't set up this S2S…

127 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – this will require the new Azure VPN gateway SKUs to add IKEv1 support. It’s under review but will be in the longer term roadmap. For the short term, please leverage virtual appliances from Azure Marketplace to facilitate this connectivity.

Thanks,
      Yushun [MSFT]

9. wildcard ssl / domain / url support for Azure CDN

Allow a wildcard domain like *.mydomain.com and wildcard SSL for such a domain as well. This will allow support for dynamic domain creating like multi tenant systems which might use that

112 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Content Delivery Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. CDN image auto image crop and resizer functionality for images

It would be really good, if the CDN could handle query strings and for the file format of images, handle resizing and cropping parameters automatically to resize our content needs... This done by the Azure CDN by its own.

107 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Content Delivery Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Support chunked file transfers through Azure Application Gateway + WAF

This is an issue with the WAF's configuration of OWASP.

When the WAF is in protection mode, it is currently not possible to use the js File API to upload files in a chunked manner to an application behind the Application Gateway. Some of the "chunks" get blocked by the firewall (see attached). This doesn't happen to all chunks but it is common enough that a 100mb file will probably encounter the issue.

I have created a barebones test website which reproduces the issue here: https://github.com/elexisvenator/AzureWAF-chunked-upload-test

I have contacted the OWASP ModSecurity project, who have responded that the Firewall rule…

106 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Use P2S VPN connection as default gateway (like standard VPN)

P2S connection is working fine and I can access VMs on VNET.

It would good to have feature if you enable [Use default gateway on remote network] that you can browse internet and it looks like you are coming from Azure network if you visit some site.
      Something like proxpn, purevpn and similar services.

105 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This suggestion has two parts:

1. Use default route or forced tunneling on P2S client rather than split tunneling
      2. Enable Azure VPN gateway as an forward proxy to the Internet

At this point, these will be considered as long term roadmap items.

Thanks,
      Yushun [MSFT]

13. Prevent Azure CDN Bandwidth abuse

Hello,
      I have already made a couple of posts in regards to this issue on StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35488753/how-to-prevent-azure-cdn-bandwidth-abuse-by-malicious-bandwidth-vampire-requests and on MSDN CDN forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/9e37ca24-b38d-4193-847b-f679eab76aa5/azure-cdn-bandwidth-abuse-by-malicious-bandwidth-vampire-requests?forum=azurecdn but so far, unfortunately, no good solutions to the problem were offered. So I thought it would be a good idea to post this idea here as well, and get a little more into detail on how to solve the issue since this little fix can easily be integrated into the upcoming WAF offering with the Premium SKU.

Problem:
      To summarize, the problem can simply be stated as follows: Any large multimedia content file such as an…

103 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Content Delivery Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Allow changing Billing Model for ExpressRoute from Unlimited to Metered with no downtime

Currently you can change an ExpressRoute from Metered to Unlimited at any time without any disruption.

You should also have the ability to go from Unlimited to Metered at any time without any disruption.

99 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. BGP Filters on Private Peering

Can we expand BGP filtering into Private peering? That will enable us filtering unnecessary traffic and also filter incoming onPrem networks into Azure VNET. Furthermore , that will provide summarisation of on Prem routes into VNETs thus less UDRs if you wanted to route all traffic via NVA

94 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  7 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Allow us to view the effective route for an Subnet without requiring an Interface inside of the subnet.

Currently in order to view the effective routes for a subnet you need to have some kind of network interface inside of the subnet. I find that sometimes I need to view the routing table for a subnet, but it doesn't contain any VMs. Could you add functionality to allow us to view the effective routes without having to provision anything inside of it?
      My use case is that I host ILB ASEs in dedicated subnets, but I can't view the routing table because there are no VMs inside of it.

92 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Copy NSG

I want to copy new NSG from the existing NSG's similar policy.
      I don't want to keep making the same or similar to the NSG policy.
      The NSG copy function is required.

92 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. create predefined NSG for Azure Datacenters IP Range

Let's say I have a VM that I want to restrict access from the outside. I want this VM to be accessible from my onprem IPs and from Azure IPs (since a part of my infrastructure is on azure). Since at the moment of discussion ARM VMs do not support static IP address, it will be very useful to create a NSG for allowing traffic only from azure IP ranges. Right now you cannot create such NSG because a NSG only allows a maximum of 100 rules. So, it will be a great idea to have predefined NSG to limit…

88 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Traffic Manager support blob storage

for web site availability, I would like to use blob storage under traffic manager when blob (such as pictures, pdfs , movies) is stored to blob storage.

87 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Support server-sent events

Azure Application Gateway apparently does not support server-sent events. This surprised me, since SSE really is just http. However after quite a bit of testing, and asking on the forum, I can confirm it does not.

SSE is an arguably better way of doing server push than websockets, which is a lot more complex. We rely heavily on it, so hope it will be prioritized.

Best regards,
      Alf

82 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base