Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Allow to add multiple Service Tags to NSG rule

Allow to add multiple Service Tags to NSG rule. Right now we can add multiple subnets, ranges, IPs and ports, Great idea would be to add also multiple service tags to source/destination as now we create multiple rules for one host to multiple service tags.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. NSG service tag for AzureBastionSubnet

When implementing complicated access controls inside a virtual network, we always need to allow connections from AzureBastionSubnet of the virtual network.

It would be nice we have AzureBastionSubnet service tag which automatically describes a specific Azure Bastion subnet for each virtual network where resources NSG attached reside in.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Allow ESP traffic through Azure Loadbalancer

Azure Load Balancer, for external connections, can support only TCP (Protocol ID “6”) or UDP (Protocol ID “17”).

It cannot support protocols like ICMP (Protocol ID “1”). As an example, also IPSec (and VPN using it) is not supported since you should open UDP port 500 (that is fine) and permit IP protocol numbers 50 and 51. UDP Port 500 should be opened to allow Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) traffic to be forwarded through Azure Load Balancer. IP protocol ID 50 should be set to allow IPSec Encapsulating Security Protocol (ESP) traffic to be forwarded. Finally,…

45 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. VNet peering circular dependency reference due to cross 'dependsOn' between the two VNets

When a peering is set up between two vNets, VNET1 and VNET2, there would be two 'dependsOn' properties in the template generated from the Automation script blade of the resource group. VNET1 would depend on VNET2, and VNET2 would depend on VNET1. This causes a circular dependency error and the deployment of the template would fail. If you manually remove the two 'dependsON' properties, the deployment would succeed with the same result. I think that this should be fixed, I found this suggestion in this post : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure/Does-vNet-peering-cause-a-circular-dependency-error-in/m-p/369823#M3963

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Support for VNET peering when deploying failover groups

There is no support for VNET peering when deploying failover groups (one have to create new IPSec VPN tunnels to test failover across regions)

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. KMS / RHUI service endpoint

Could you kindly add service endpoint for KMS and RHUI.
      It will really helpful for managing VMs without SNAT Public IP.

57 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Add Service Tags to Route Tables/UDR

Include the ability to add Service Tags to UDRs. We have experienced that while many times services require NSGs to be open for a Service, many users have a default route in the Route Tables to push traffic through network virtual appliances. To circumvent having to put an entire datacenter range IP on UDRs to get services to work, there should be Service Tags in the UDR destination field in order to be able to add specific services the ability to talk to VNET-joined services. A good example of this is API Management. While the team does not support a…

25 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. Add a column to list CIDR ranges currently in use.

Add a column to list CIDR blocks assigned to each VNET in the Virtual Network Blade. This would provide a quick reference to not overlap CIDR ranges when using multiple VNETS.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Need a 1 to 1 mapping between data centers and the IP range list

Trying to use Azure Backup to German Northeast and North Central US.

Would be nice if there was a one to one mapping between the regions displayed here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/global-infrastructure/regions/

and what is listed here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41653

Having problems guessing which region to use for the for following locations:

German Northeast - options:

<Region Name="europeeast">

<Region Name="europenorth2">

<Region Name="europenorth">

North Central US: options:

<Region Name="uscentraleuap">

<Region Name="uscentral">

<Region Name="usnorth">

<Region Name="uswestcentral">

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  IP addresses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Azure DNS query log

Hi,

I would like to request Azure DNS Query Log. This will help us identify traffic hitting record name in the dns zone.

Possible Log Sample

Time-Stamp,SourceIP,RecondType,RecordName

236 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. have the ability to use more than one asg in an nsg rule (separated with , for example)

let's say that i have 2 apps that i want to be able to access any endpoint.

APP A containing these servers:10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2
      and APP B: 10.0.0.4,10.0.05

my nsg rule will use :10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2,10.0.0.4,10.0.05
      if i`m moving to work with asg i want the ability to add both app a and app b together in the same nsg rule.

will it be supported?

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Name display for next hop types

"The name displayed and referenced for next hop types is different between the Azure portal and command-line tools, and the Azure Resource Manager and classic deployment models."

This should be changed for intuition. I should be forced to remember multiple names for identical configurations. Azure already has unnecessarily given proprietary names for industry standards.

Stop making your product unnecessarily difficult to use.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworkGateways provision so longgggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Hi currently in our project we heavily using Azure Resource

And with current implement we using ARM template and powershell to provisioning all kind of resource. So I notice that with normal resource it only take around few second to 2 or 3 minute to finish except

Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworkGateways
      It sometime take up to 1 hour to provision and it is like a pain in my *** that I really don't know why. Can someone so me a way to reduce provision time for Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworkGateways or explain for me in detail way why it take so much time to provision?

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. IPFIX/NetFlow export for traffic visibility

Give ability for Express Route traffic to be visualized by a IPFIX/Netflow tool. i.e. Solarwinds NetFlow, LiveAction LiveNX etc.

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Delay load balancer rolling health threshold until first pass.

We would like to implement an application-specific https load balancer probe for rolling upgrades. This always fails initial deployment because none of the VMs in the scale set have the application installed yet. It would be nice if the rolling upgrade threshold could be ignored until it passes for the first time.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Allow us to view the effective route for an Subnet without requiring an Interface inside of the subnet.

Currently in order to view the effective routes for a subnet you need to have some kind of network interface inside of the subnet. I find that sometimes I need to view the routing table for a subnet, but it doesn't contain any VMs. Could you add functionality to allow us to view the effective routes without having to provision anything inside of it?
      My use case is that I host ILB ASEs in dedicated subnets, but I can't view the routing table because there are no VMs inside of it.

95 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Improve Interface / Search for Azure DNS

Please fix azure DNS interface so that search works without having to click "load more" times until you reach the page with the record on it. We have thousands of records and we cant easily find the ones we need to adjust. This is a major issue for our networking team.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Add Application Security Groups from other Region to NSG

Would like to be able to select Application Security Groups from Remote regions in an NSG.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Is it possible to disable http 1.0 protocol in Azure App Gateway?

If the request is sent as HTTP 1.0 with a blank host header, the server may respond with its own internal IP (10.x.x.x) in the Location Header. This results in the internal IP address of the Real Server being exposed.

E.g.

17 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Apply NSG at subnet without applying to NICs

Provide ability to apply an NSG at the subnet level that is NOT applied to each individual NIC as is currently the case.

Say I have five subnets and want to block all inbound traffic to subnet A from the other subnets except for one port.

If I apply a deny all rule to VirtualNetwork, this blocks all communication between VMs in subnet A which breaks cluster type setups unless explicit allow rules are added.

If I don't apply a deny all rule I have to explicitly add the other subnets as deny, but if another subnet is added it…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    ← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base