Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details

• Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Route table associated to a Virtual Network

It would be great if a route table can be assigned to Virtual Network level and added to the priority sequence like System Routes -> BGP Routes -> UDR at Virtual Network -> UDR at subnet level

This will allow to move all common routes to be placed at virtual network level and then subnet specific to subnet level.

Or allow nesting of UDR where two route tables can be assigned to one subnet which may be a cummulative routes of combined both.

20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Allow to assign custom routes on the VNET level (instead of only subnets)

We configured a custom gateway on Azure. Unfortunately it's not possible to add routes on a VNET level so these routes get applied to all existing and future subnets automatically.

Basically it would be sufficient to be able to assign UDRs to VNETs.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. After I configured a Point-to-Site connection to a VNet using native Azure certificate authentication. I can't ping from Client to Azure VM.

After I configured a Point-to-Site connection to a VNet using native Azure certificate authentication. I can't ping from Client to Azure VM.
      Help me!

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Accelerated networking for all SKUs in a SKU family

Accelerated networking, and more generically: all features of a SKU family, should be supported across all SKUs in a SKU family. With the current limitations based on the number of cores of a SKU in supported SKU families, we have to develop lgoic in a wrapper around Terraform to see when we can just resize a SKU and when we need to recreate it.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Create peering to a VNET before the VNET exists

An example:

Terraform script that creates a complete test environment.
      As part of that creation, it needs to access to another vnet that acts as a gateway via peering otherwise the deployment will fail.
      The peering from the remote vnet can't be configured until the new vnet exists.

That means either breaking the Terraform script into multiple parts, watching the deployment and adding the peering once the new vnet exists or giving the script the ability to create the remote peering which breaks the permissions model.

The ability to create a peering to a VNET before it is created in…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. Allow basic port forwarding in Network Security Groups

It'd be really nice if Network Security Groups allowed basic port forwarding without the use of Azure Load Balancers. Being able to use an alternate public port for RDP, for example 23456, and directing the traffic to the native port (3389) in the Azure environment via the network group would make things simpler than having to create a load balancer to sit in front of the NSG and VM.

107 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Azure VM NIC in Promiscuous Mode

Some of the legacy system virtualization software require VM NICs to be configured in "Promiscuous Mode" to operate correctly.

https://stromasys.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DocCHAXPv47W/Networking

This feature would help us run those platforms on Azure. Can Azure VMs enable this feature? There is very little documentation on this aspect - Is promiscuous mode available and supported?

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  4 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Rename VNET

Be able to rename a VNET (changing name only) without having to suppress all VM's and recreate them after...

114 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      23 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Virtual Network Gateway Hours - Pay only for what you use

I just notice, Virtual network gateway hours is not pay when use. Once you create the gateway and extend the Azure virtual network to your premise, it starts to charge no matter what it's connect or disconnect.

From pricing detail, $0.05 per connection-hour (~$38/month).

So, even I shutdown my premise router overnight, I still need to spend min $38 monthly. It is not really "Pay only for what you use".

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      13 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      declined  ·  Yushun Wang [MSFT] responded

Hi, Alex,

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed.

The charge is based on business review and common industry practice. We will consider providing the functionality to “STOP” a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use. If this is the request, please open another item and we will track that feature ask accordingly.

Thanks,
      Yushun [MSFT]

10. ICMP Support for Azure Websites, Roles, Cloud Services

Need support for ICMP features like Ping in Azure Websites, Azure Mobile Services thru node.js, Web/Worker Roles/Cloud Services.

874 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      75 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Support Multicast within Virtual Networks

Allow Multicast operations within the virtual networks for IaaS

139 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  17 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Allow multiple routes with weighting for the same address prefix

I'd like to be able to add the same address prefix multiple times in a route table with weighting differing next hops for DR reasons.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your feedback

For Highly Available configuration, we recommnend using Standard Load Balancer with HA ports configuration.

UDR with same prefix would require an orchestration to swich the preference in order to change the routing behavior, this might give you un-expected downtimes.

13. enable secondary private ip access internet

programs using second ip cannot access internet
      please allow second ip have same nat rule like primary ip

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Add information covering scaling.

How much throughput can a VNET handle? How do you monitor that? Guidance on this topic would be helpful.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. New Small size template with multiple NICs

It is not allowed to have more than 2 NIC for small size VM. Create new VM template group with NICs as central resource or add Small size templates to existing groups with more NICs.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Decouple vNIC count from VM Size

For people wanting to use Virtual Firewall Appliances, the amount of vNICs a Virtual Server type offers is the key consideration for how many backend subnets one can place behind the firewall.
      The existing Azure practice of scaling of a VM type/size to get additional vNICs is therefore problematic for the following reasons.

1. We have to oversize our VM to get the amount of vNICs required. We pay for more CPU and RAM resources than we actually require.

2. Firewall vendors often license the appliances based on CPU Count. Because we had to oversize our VM, we now have to purchase…

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Affinity Group Missing

Hi Gents,

The Affinity Group - or my vnet is missing when creating a cloud service. How do you expect me to assign my cloud services to my vnet (Affinity Group) if it is missing from the Azure Portal?

I had to use power shell and am now running into address issues.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Virtual Network Gateway

I believe that route based Virtual Network Gateways are created as GatewaySKU = Basic by the new Azure Portal but billed as GatewaySKU = Standard.

I created a new Virtual Network Gateway through the new Azure Portal and then checked the GatewaySKU via Azure PowerShell. It showed the SKU being Basic but according to the Portal I was being billed the Standard GatewaySKU rate.

I was able to fix the billing by first changing the GatewaySKU via PowerShell to Standard and then immediately back to Basic.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. Move Azure Network to Resources Groups or Subscription

Would be great if we can move networks to new Resources Groups or move networks to another subscription. We have 4 subscriptions to organize the costs, but now we can't move the Networks.

64 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Allow Subnet and VNETs to reside in different resource groups

In our design, we are attempting to share a single vnet to be used by each department/tenant. In this model, each tenant gets a small subnet provisioned from the overall vnet address space. Unfortunately, we must create the subnet separately since it is owned by the vnet which belongs to another resource group.

Alternatively, you could allow subnets to have their own resource group similar to nics.

24 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  4 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ← Previous 1
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base