Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details

• Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. ExpressRoute provisioning error

The error that is returned when an expressroute connection is being made that has an IP address conflict is very poor, error returned:

[error] - Resource Microsoft.Network/connections '<Name>' failed with message '{ 'status': 'Failed', 'error': { 'code': 'ResourceDeploymentFailure', 'message': 'The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.', 'details': [ { 'code': 'InternalServerError', 'message': 'An error occurred.', 'details': []

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Aggregation of metric for ExpressRoute circuit.

We can select only sum for aggregation of ExpressRoute circuit metric. I hope we can select other than sum. E.g, Average, Maximum and Minimum.

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. SERVERS REQUIRED FOR USERS OF PAKISTAN

Please establish servers in Pakistan and Dubai as there are no nearby servers for Pakistan. The minimum latency that we get here in Pakistan is around 250ms which is too high for developing projects and playing online games from your servers.

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Monitor ExpressRoute circuit if the private peering is with a different subscription

Currently i cannot monitor the ER private peering if the only private peering is done by redeeming the authorization key on a different subscription. The subscription with ER circuit does not show the peering while the subscription with ER connection cannot see the circuit. Is there a way to monitor the connection in this scenario?

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Microsoft Peering - Route Filter for Azure SQL

Existing Microsoft peering (ExpressRoute) does not have route-filter for database,. SQL services similar to Microsoft.sql service endpoints.

This will be needed for corporate/enterprise that want to differentiate ExpressRoute for PaaS and Office365, since there are overlapping routes between these 2 services

Microsoft O365
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/office-365-urls-and-ip-address-ranges-8548a211-3fe7-47cb-abb1-355ea5aa88a2

Azure DC public IP
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=41653

12 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Monitoring BGP Routes Updates - Routes addition or deletion

We are looking for option to monitor BGP Routes which are propagated to Azure Virtual network through ExpressRoute established and managed by network provider, BT . This is to notify network admins when new network is added as BGP Routes in Azure Virtual Network.
      It would be good if this can be monitored using OMS log analytics. As an alternative option, if route addition is logged as activity log, then it can be used for alerting and notification.

13 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Allow User-Defined Routes (UDR) to work across ExpressRoute.

Currently, UDRs are limited to IP addresses which appear in a single peer group of VNETs (i.e., in the same Azure data center location). I would like to have a NextHop to a firewall that can serve multiple regions. The traffic would flow across the ExpressRoute (MPLS-style).

While most deployments are in a few Azure data centers, there are some which are elsewhere. It is less economical to have a separate firewall instance for each region. With UDR across ExpressRoute (or VPNs), that would be a money saver.

57 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. IPSec tunnel over ExpressRoute

We require confidentiality and integrity of our network links into Azure, and want to use ExpressRoute. Currently the Azure gateway ExpressRoute SKU does not support IPSec.

Can you please add IPSec support to ExpressRoute, or to the Azure gateway Expressroute SKU.

159 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  12 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Monitoring of ExpressRoute

I want to be alerted, when my metered ExpressRoute is reaching a certain limit (that it is cheaper for me to go with unlimited model).
      Overall no monitoring supported to verify if peering is up, how much inbound and outbound traffic is going through the ExpressRoute/Virtual Network Gateway.
      The ExpressRoute is critical and therefore its state needs to be monitored.

86 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      started  ·  7 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Ability to delete a Public IP on ExpressRoute Gateway

I request for an ability to delete Public IP on ExpressRoute Gateway.
      It would be great if I can delete a Public IP assigned to ExpressRoute Gateway due to enhanced security.
      I understand the VPN Gateway needs public IP to connect with onpremises VPN device, but I think it is unnecessary for the ExpressRoute Gateway since it is a closed network.
      If the ExpressRoute gateway doesn't have a Public IP, we can reduce the risk of unexpected inbound traffic from the Internet.

34 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Don't strip QOS DSCP markings

Azure vNets with ExpressRoute should support QOS markings. Ideally the Expressroute circuit should honour and prioritise packets with DSCP priorities set.

If honouring DSCP is not possible then the values should at least be passed along and not be stripped out.

We have Azure connected to our internal MPLS network via an Expressroute Exchange provider. (Our MPLS provider is not setup as a Network provider in Azure). Some of our remote sites have congested links however with QOS we ensure all business applications perform well.

We are now moving some business applications into Azure and getting performance problems due to…

270 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      6 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. billing report

I would like to suuggest that the ResourceGroup column be filled in for all resources in the Azure Billing reports. Without the resource group data filled in for all resources it makes it much more difficult to track usage/cost associated with a specific resource group. For example, currently the Express Route resource does not get the resourcegroup filled in, even though its contained under a resource group.

5 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. create a non-disruptive an Azure VNET address space update to ER

create a non-disruptive an Azure VNET address space update to advertise prefixes to expressroute. Currently there is no way to do this without knocking down the connection for a period of time - breaking connectivity between the azure data center and on-premise data center.

5 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Allow separate VLAN tags when peering to ExpressRoute circuits

Currently ExpressRoute requires two client subnets, but restricts these to the same VLAN tag. It would be helpful if each of these VLANs could be tagged individually.
      e.g. currently I can specify "172.16.1.0/30" as the primary and "172.16.2.0/30" as the secondary but they have to have the same ID

44 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  3 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. advertise VSTS on Public peering

made VSTS available through Express Route.

Premier Support incident :
      [REG:118052318242337] ] Visualstudio.com not being advertised on Public Peering

7 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Reserve for ExpressRoute bandwidth

If circuit bandwidth upgrading is fail, I must delete and recreate circuit.

It's very high impact for my enviroment because of circuit network will stop.
      I request we can know that circuit upgrade will fail or will success in advance.

ex)
      1. We can reserve bandwidth in advance. If we don't use that bandwidth, we can release it. It's also possilbe for a fee.
      2. We can get realtime capacity. It will not be ensure but I want to know possibility for success upgrading bandwidth in advance.

8 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Azure Direct Documentation

Add a page to explain what "Azure Direct" is and refer to it when you use the term on any other page (like https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/active-directory-b2c/)

5 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Outbound data transfer Zones - Country wise

Hello, Please provide which country comes under which Zones for Outbound data transfer. This will help for correct pricing for customers for zone1, zone2 and zone3

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. express route

Not sure if this is possible today, but I would like to see an option for public peering to have more granularity on the list of BGP communities so we only advertise services that a customer owns. As far as I can see today, through Microsoft peering we will see all public IP in the selected Azure region including those belonging to Microsoft Azure public services, a customer public IP address and any other customer public IP in that region. That means that lot of traffic is routed through public peering. Wouldn't be better to route traffic through Internet to…

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    20. Separate O365 IP addresses from regional Azure IP address ranges

I have an ExpressRoute with Public, Private and MS Peering. Currently Office 365 services are routed via the Public peering.

When I activate a BGP community via route filter for MS peering (in my case the community 12076:51009 for Azure Central US), any users accessing 365 services from the Azure Central US region lose all connectivity. This is because the O365 services (such as login.microsoftonline.com or portal.office.com) are served out of Azure datacentres and the ranges overlap.

Office 365 services must be authorised over MS peering, and the process is unnecessarily complicated and opaque. Until I manage to get this…

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Office 365 utilizes the Microsoft global Azure datacenter presence to provide Office 365 relates services to customers across the world. We are working to ensure long-term that the IP addresses are properly allocated to a given service and will align them to ensure that they do not overlap.

If there are any issues with the current setup where some traffic does traverse the ExpressRoute public peering path, please raise a support request and one of engineers can review.

Jared [MSFT]
      PM, ExpressRoute

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base