Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Don't strip QOS DSCP markings

Azure vNets with ExpressRoute should support QOS markings. Ideally the Expressroute circuit should honour and prioritise packets with DSCP priorities set.

If honouring DSCP is not possible then the values should at least be passed along and not be stripped out.

We have Azure connected to our internal MPLS network via an Expressroute Exchange provider. (Our MPLS provider is not setup as a Network provider in Azure). Some of our remote sites have congested links however with QOS we ensure all business applications perform well.

We are now moving some business applications into Azure and getting performance problems due to…

159 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        2 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • IPSec tunnel over ExpressRoute

We require confidentiality and integrity of our network links into Azure, and want to use ExpressRoute. Currently the Azure gateway ExpressRoute SKU does not support IPSec.

Can you please add IPSec support to ExpressRoute, or to the Azure gateway Expressroute SKU.

34 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          planned  ·  3 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Route Summarization in UDRs to direct traffic to Virtual Appliance

For VNETS connected with Express Route, BGP Routes populate the Azure System Routes. So, we have to use UDRs to direct traffic to go to the Virtual Appliance Firewall, Traffic towards Any Route not in the UDR prefers the BGP Route and sends the traffic to the Virtual Network Gateway. This renders the summarized routes in UDR useless , as any route with a smaller subnet in BGP Routes, is preferred over the summarized UDR route, and the traffic for that route goes to the VNET Gateway instead of the Virtual Firewall.

This limits our ability to route effectively, and…

19 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  4 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Gray out existing connections so they can't be connected with ExpressRoute.

Gray out existing connections so they can't be connected with ExpressRoute again and cause an outage.

Failed to create connection 'ExpressRoute-EUS'. Error: The ExpressRoute connection for Nrp Resource Uri: https://eastus.network.azure.com/subscriptions/GUID/resourceGroups/expressroute-rg/providers/Microsoft.Network/connections/ExpressRoute-EUS2 already exists with a different Nrp Resource Uri:https://eastus.network.azure.com/subscriptions/GUID/resourceGroups/expressroute-rg/providers/Microsoft.Network/connections/US-East2

"Do not allow redundant ER connection deployments to start. There is currently an error message but no block to starting a redundant connection deployment. This operation causes the circuit to lose connectivity."

15 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  0 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • stop letting non-Azure Microsoft networks use BGP routes that Azure learns through ExpressRoute. This easily leads to asymmetric routing.

stop letting non-Azure Microsoft networks use the BGP routes that Azure learns through ExpressRoute. This leads to asymmetry in many cases.
              Also, the current behavior lets bandwidth hungry Microsoft services like Windows Update consume the bandwidth and metered data of ExpressRoute.
              As of today, companies using ExpressRoute need to set up their network in an unnecessary complicated way to avoid this problem.
              One way to do it is to only announce a small prefix, and use that prefix for NAT'ing all the traffic destined for Azure services over ExpressRoute.
              Then one has to make sure that all traffic destined for…

12 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Monitoring of ExpressRoute

I want to be alerted, when my metered ExpressRoute is reaching a certain limit (that it is cheaper for me to go with unlimited model).
                Overall no monitoring supported to verify if peering is up, how much inbound and outbound traffic is going through the ExpressRoute/Virtual Network Gateway.
                The ExpressRoute is critical and therefore its state needs to be monitored.

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  started  ·  2 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Unable to add a tag to an ExpressRoute Circuit.

Unable to add a tag to an ExpressRoute Circuit.

When attempting to add a tag to a resource of type ExpressRoute Circuit, I get an error message "The requested resource does not support http method 'PATCH'."

Seems like the resource provider for ExpressRoute doesn't provide all API calls that are required for supporting tags.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base