Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Allow Multiple VNETs in a Gateway

It would be great to be able to have three (or more) regions participating in a VNET. Currently you can deploy a multi-region, multi-subnet architecture using VNETs and their gateways by pointing them at one another with site-to-site. However, if you want to add a third region into that mix, it's not possible with the way Azure infrastructure is right now.

The use case is AlwaysOn Availability Groups. Right now, I could, say, have East US and West US creating a geographically dispersed solution. However, when it comes to where to put the file share witness, it has to go…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. provide troubleshooting features to VPN gateways

Until Microsoft improves the Azure VPN technology, it would be good and sometimes necessary to provide some VPN troubleshooting tools on the Azure side. The local side logs sometimes are not enough and it gets very difficult to understand the reason of tunnel outages. This feature will also be definitely useful once the Azure VPN technology will be completely stable and reliable, in order to analyse traffic and build monitoring based on it.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Create a windows service on the client to insert route tables for P2S client

Please improve the p2s client so that a windows service with admin rights will insert the route tables. We could then deploy this without the user requiring admin rights.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Support CIDR in Point to Site Networking (RFC1918 bug)

Azure forces clients to have a class A default route when using 10.x.x.x as their internal network. This should reflect the subnet mask illustrated in the portal

More information:

http://serverfault.com/q/818383/51457

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. VPN connection monitoring

Need a solution to monitor the Azure VPN connection status. Currently no option is available in the metric/log analytics to alert the status of VPN connection failure. When will be the feature available in portal to create such monitoring rule in Azure native monitoring?

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. Allow Azure Basic VPN Gateway to connect from OpenVPN client

Allow Azure Basic VPN Gateway to connect from OpenVPN client

If deploy VPN Gateway and follow this instruccions [1], Azure Powershells shows this error:

Set-AzureRMVirtualNetworkGateway: Vpn Client protocol OpenVPN is not supported for basic Sku Gateway [..]

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/vpn-gateway/vpn-gateway-howto-openvpn

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Get Point-to-Site VPN status by Azure CLI

I want to get health status of Point-to-Site VPN by Azure CLI.
      I can get this status by Azure portal, but Azure CLI can not.

If I use Azure CLI command without debug, this status can not get.
      But if I use Auzre CLI with debug option, I can get this status.

This coomand can get P2S status.
      ex) az network vnet-gateway show --resource-group RG --name VPNGW --debug

I hope improving this issue.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. Even smaller "Dev" size of Virtual Network Gateway

While the ability to set up a site-to-site tunnel between my local network and an Azure virtual network is a very great convenience, it's also quite the expensive convenience for the single-developer business. (If you have a VS Professional subscription, for example, you'll burn almost all of your included Azure credit on this alone.) This may be partly solved, at the cost of some overhead, by this request:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217313-networking/suggestions/6169157-stop-start-virtual-network-gateway-to-don-t-pay

...but my first observation is that even the "Basic" size of VPN gateway is far more, at 100 Mbps and 10 S2S tunnels, than I actually require.

How about a cut-down…

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

9. Point to Site VPN Logs/History

It would be helpful to be able to see a history of point-to-site VPN connections and associated dates and times. This would be helpful in troubleshooting connectivity issues for our remote users.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Improve user experience for BGP Route Advertisement Limit from Azure

There is currently an internal Azure hard limit of 200 on BGP routes advertised over a connection from an Azure virtual network. When exceeded Azure drops all routes and connectivity for the entire virtual network until the route limit falls back below 200. No error is produced and there is no simple way to query how close a connection is to this route limit.

Any virtual network update that would result in exceeding the route limit should throw an error and there should be a way to easily determine your current route count per connection (rest/cli and portal).

In addition,…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Fix Virtual Network Gateway IKEv2 Security Logging

Ok, so logging access to enterprise networks is a basic security control which we shouldn't be asking for in year 2018.

If we deploy P2S/Virtual Network Gateway w/IKEv2/certificate authentication in its current state, we open our networks to the internet and have no idea who logs into it and from where. There are basically NO events logged for an authenticated user. In addition, the "Connection Count" doesn't increment. So If I have 100 users connect via IKEv2, Connection Count still shows 0.

THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT SECURITY HOLE.

Microsoft - this product shouldn't have been released, not in its current…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Manually Assign GatewaySubnet and better field validation

I want to be able to assign my GatewaySubnet, not have the system pick the next available subnet and crash everytime I try to change it!

The only way I could get it to use the Subnet I wanted as the gateway was to create 63 other subnets so there was only one that was not in use.

It also failed to create any virtual network with an Ampersand "&" in the Network name, even though it came up with a green tick next to the name when I tried to create it.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. The bgp peer ip configured on the local gateway is advertised back to the site router via the tunnel

Azure BGP implementation advertises a route to on-premises BGP peer IP back to the on-premises network via Azure! This should have been filtered on Azure side.

B 10.255.254.6/32 [20/0] via 10.16.1.4, 00:03:47
      via 10.16.1.5, 00:03:47

10.255.254.6/32 is the loopback IP address on my VPN device.
      10.16.1.4 and 10.16.1.5 are the BGP IP addresses on Azure VNET.

Ref. case: 119060721002544

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Allow creation of your own Service Tags for use in NSGs

Effectively allow you to create your own address group objects that can be referenced across all NSG's in any location/VNET.

This would simplify NSG management considerably, even more than ASGs will (when they support being used across multiple VNETs)

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

15. VPN Gateway Fail Over

Requesting a DR feature for VPN Gateways to provide better recovery from datacenter disasters.

We plan to have dozens of VPN Gateways to a specific data center. In a disaster scenario we need a way for these gateways to fail over to a backup region where our VMs will fail to.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Validate YAMAHA RTX830 and RTX1210 for Azure VPN Gateway

YAMAHA RTX router series ( https://network.yamaha.com/products/routers )
      are not validated as VPN devices:
      https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/azure/vpn-gateway/vpn-gateway-about-vpn-devices

Nevertheless I or some Japanese are struggling to connect Azure VPN Gateway with YAMAHA RTX routers.
      we are able to have connection but there are some troubles reported on blogs.
      We need to verification.

At kakaku.com(the most popular Bestbuy ranking site in Japan),
      YAMAHA RTX830 and RTX1210 are the top 2 selling products nowadays.
      Previous models are also popular for a couple of decades in Japan.
      I think the verification will have huge impact in Japan to support VPN Gateway at SOHO environments.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding the VPN device issues. In general, our team needs to work with the VPN device vendor, in this case, Yamaha, to validate their VPN devices connecting to Azure VPN gateways.

To get things started, we will need someone from Yamaha to contact us, either via Microsoft Japan if that’s easier, or open an issue on the page directly. Once we establish the contact, we can proceed to work with Yamaha to validate their VPN devices.

Thanks,
      Yushun [MSFT]

17. Cisco Meraki - 15x Code - IKEv2 - Certify Device on Azure List

With Cisco Meraki's MX code release of 15.x, IKEv2 is now supported - Can we get the Cisco Meraki MX as certified for an Azure VPN Device?

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Increase the hard limit of allowed advertised routes for IPSec tunnels over BGP.

I am dealing with a very complex client network environment, which is managed by their vendor.

The current route advertisement limit is severely impacting the works that we need to perform through to, and within the client's network.

I would like to request, and strongly suggest for an increase in the hard limit of allowed advertised routes for IPSec tunnels over BGP.

Please also refer to the case reference number 119051322001294.

Thank you.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Be able to configure all aspects of S2S vpn from the MS Azure portal

It would be helpful to be able to configure all aspects of S2S vpn from the MS Azure portal. We had to do some configuration via the powershell commands, which :
      1: was not intuitive, as the parameters weren't readily shown anywhere
      2: takes a special level of knowledge to be able to do that.

Once we were able to make the parameters match between our Cisco ASAV on prem, and the Gateway in Azure, then everything worked, but it took some extra time to get there.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Please provide metric for Point-to-Site VPN traffic

We can't meter Point-to-Site VPN usage now.
      Please provide metric for Point-to-Site VPN traffic like Site-to-Site tunnnel metric.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base