Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. MS NVA to over come transitive issues and costs for 3rd party NVAs

Provide an MS NVA to over come the cost of having to implement 3rd party NVA's, to provide routes between Vnets, due the the lack of support for transtive routes, whilst having to useUDRs is very time consuming and creates additional administrative burdens. As well as massive additional costs burdens.

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Adding multiple NSGs to a NIC

I have several virtual machines in several different subnets that need to apply a certain set of network security rules. But for each VM there are also their own unique rules. I would like to be able to set multiple NSG for the NIC of each virtual machine. I do not want to copy common rules to each NSG.

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Allow a UDR to specify any routable "next hop" IP address (not limited to the VNet or Region)

It would be great if a UDR could point to an IP in another region or on-premises via ExpressRoute. The problem today is that If someone invests in a NGFW virtual appliance, it can only be used from the VNet where it exists or others that are peered to it within the same region. A UDR should be able to route to any routable address... why not?

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Automatically add Web hosting plan services to virtual network

I pretty much want to keep storage, SQL database, web app, VMs, and any other service I use within a private network to keep granular control of which services can connect to other services. The "open to all" connection strings to all services is a hard sell to any organization used to securing their IT behind firewalls and networks of networks. Where are you on this today? It must be considered a less secure since these connection strings always tend to leak..

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal

We cannot specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal, so it's required to specify IP address after VM creation. We want to specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal.

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Built-in policy to audit VNet rules / usage of service endpoints

Built-in policy to audit VNet rules / usage of service endpoints

More and more services in Azure have the ability to use service endpoints (e.g. Azure SQL Database, Azure Storage Account, Azure Data Lake, ...)

This is necessary to fulfill IT-Security requirements and helps to restrict the access to critical Azure service resources from only specific virtual networks.

At the moment there is no built-in policy / initiative to audit the usage of these service endpoints.

Would be possible provide a built-in policy / initiative for this case?

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Expand vendor support for Azure virtual network TAP

Allow Azure virtual network TAP to send collected data to a VM running Suricata, Snort, riverbed etc, not only the current list of vendors.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      started  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Control Whether Secondary NICs get Gateway & DNS settings from DHCP.

Generally we do not want 2 gateways on a server. Allow us to control whether secondary NICs receive Gateway and DNS settings. Generally all we really want is an IP address and Subnet Mask on a secondary NIC for communication on a Private Network within the same subnet.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Add Service Tags to Route Tables/UDR

Include the ability to add Service Tags to UDRs. We have experienced that while many times services require NSGs to be open for a Service, many users have a default route in the Route Tables to push traffic through network virtual appliances. To circumvent having to put an entire datacenter range IP on UDRs to get services to work, there should be Service Tags in the UDR destination field in order to be able to add specific services the ability to talk to VNET-joined services. A good example of this is API Management. While the team does not support a…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    10. wants to make my custom service tags for network security group

Is it possible to create and add our own service tag mapping to multiple ip address ranges? These days, we need to have our own service tag for outside cloud vendor's service such as payment or customer review.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

11. Simplify Network Peering across Tenants

When you need to peer networks across tenants, you need to create a user in each tenant, and then add them as guests to the other tenants. You also need to ensure that the guest users have the appropriate access. This doesn't meet the need-to-know and least-privilege requirements, especially if you don't fully trust the other party. This also makes it incredibly difficult to automate due to the dependency on user accounts.

Simplify the peering process by allowing both parties to share keys and network ids in order to peer. Allow service principals to create the peers and only connect…

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

12. I would like to be able to define DNS Servers on a subnet level and not just at the vNet level

I sometimes have different DNS Servers that I want to assign to each subnet within a vNet. I currently can't find a way to do that except for changing the DNS Servers on each VM's NIC in the subnet.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. Cross-subscription VNet (Shared VNet)

A virtual network that spans subscriptions. Multiple different subscriptions can deploy to the same virtual network in a region.

If you are interested in this feature, please up-vote and add details about your company/scenario.

We appreciate the feedback.

- VNet Team [MSFT]

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      need-feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Distribute DNS Suffix through Virtual Nerwork

Distribute DNS Suffix through Virtual Nerwork for all OS, in most of case, mainly Linux OS, we need to set a dns suffix to resolve internal names.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. Tell the user which objects prevent an object from being deleted

I wanted to delete a Virtual Network and it kept telling me that it was in use and that I should come back later if I just deleted an object that used this Network.
      However, the actual reason was that the Virtual Network still had a Gateway configured. As this gateway only shows up inside the Virtual Network and not on "All Resources", I wasted hours to figure out why I couldn't delete the network.

Suggestion:
      If I can't delete an object because it is in use or has children, give me a list of those objects that prevent the…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Daniel, we’ve made some updates here, our error messages tell you what resources are preventing delete VNet.

Further, we created a diagnostic in the support work flow (Azure Portal, support ticket creation: Virtual Network > Management > Cannot delete VNet) to tell you exactly what resources are preventing delete, too!

Hope this helps, let us know your feedback

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-troubleshoot-cannot-delete-vnet

- Anavi N [MSFT]

16. Enable "vNet peering" as UDR next hop

Enable "vNet peering" as UDR next hop. Currently if you have a large range, a /16 for example, set in a UDR with a next hop of an NVA it is not possible to override or point a single subnet, for example a /24, in the /16 at the vNet Peering. This would be useful to bypass an NVA for certain subnets or IPs.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Support Longest Prefix Match in VNet Peering

Allow VNet Peering between two VNets that may have overlapped IPs by supporting Longest Prefix Match in routing.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Attach second network interface to already running instance

I would like to be able to attach new network interface to already started instance (single VM or VM in scale set)

Reason for that is for example:
      https://www.credera.com/blog/technology-solutions/how-to-automate-zookeeper-in-aws/ (Option 3)

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. Exclude networks in the default Tag "Virtual Network" which are defined in UDR

When we are using the default Tag "Virtual Network" in NSG to make a Rule for intra VNE communication, the UDR networks are automatically included in the default Tag "Virtual Network", e.g. I have defined a UDR as route route / network 0.0.0.0/0, it is included in to default Tag "Virtual Network", then the Tag is useless for intra vnet communication as it contain the network 0.0.0.0/0.

My Suggestion is to exclude the UDR from default Tag or allow us to make our own Tag. Also when we are creating NSG with multiple destination ip/networks from same source ip/network and…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    20. IP and domain restrictions - add posibility to configure it in Portal

Instead of configuring IP and domain access restrictions in web.config like described here: http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2013/12/09/ip-and-domain-restrictions-for-windows-azure-web-sites/ , it would be nice to add posibility to set restrictions somewhere in Portal.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base