Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. IP-in-IP

Provide the ability to unblock IP-in-IP encapsulated packets in a virtual network.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      need-feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. MS NVA to over come transitive issues and costs for 3rd party NVAs

Provide an MS NVA to over come the cost of having to implement 3rd party NVA's, to provide routes between Vnets, due the the lack of support for transtive routes, whilst having to useUDRs is very time consuming and creates additional administrative burdens. As well as massive additional costs burdens.

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Tell the user which objects prevent an object from being deleted

I wanted to delete a Virtual Network and it kept telling me that it was in use and that I should come back later if I just deleted an object that used this Network.
      However, the actual reason was that the Virtual Network still had a Gateway configured. As this gateway only shows up inside the Virtual Network and not on "All Resources", I wasted hours to figure out why I couldn't delete the network.

Suggestion:
      If I can't delete an object because it is in use or has children, give me a list of those objects that prevent the…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Daniel, we’ve made some updates here, our error messages tell you what resources are preventing delete VNet.

Further, we created a diagnostic in the support work flow (Azure Portal, support ticket creation: Virtual Network > Management > Cannot delete VNet) to tell you exactly what resources are preventing delete, too!

Hope this helps, let us know your feedback

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-troubleshoot-cannot-delete-vnet

- Anavi N [MSFT]

4. Ability to limit access only to the specific storage account

VNet Service Endpoint achieves secure access to storage from virtual network, but there is still a risk that someone might leak our sensitive data to his/her own storage account.
      To make sure our data is stored in our storage account, we really need the ability to limit access to the specific approved storage account.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. update DNS settings for VNET without restart of the VMs to take effect

Current when we try to update the DNS settings in the VNET or NIC, it required the VMs to be restarted to take effect. But when there are a large amount of VMs under the VNET, it would be a hard work to do so.
      If this process could be simplify so that the restarted of VM will be no longer required, it would be a good news.

133 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. implement Service tags for UDR/Route

Can be good when we create a Route/UDR to have the possibility to select in "Next Hop Type" a service Tag, or Azure Region IP range.

129 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Internal vNet endpoints for SQL Databases and Storage Devices to allow private accessible only via Expressroute Gateway

To justify using Expressroute to "securely" extend the corporate LAN/WAN infrastructure to the cloud.

Create Internal vNet Endpoints for SQL Databases and Storage Devices to allow private accessible only via Expressroute Gateway.

Needed to secure sensitive PII, HIPAA, and Company Confidential Databases and storage devices

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. Dynamic routing within VNET

I would like to have the option to dynamically route traffic within a subnet in Azure.
      Example: I have a two VMs acting as tunnel endpoints for 4G<->Network devices. These VMs are connecting to the same endpoints over Internet but use different technologies and have different connection availability. One is fast but unreliable, the other one slow but reliable. This setup is exported from my on premise VMware setup. But for this to work I have to be able to dynamically choose which VM I want to route traffic to, be it using Cisco route tracking or OSPF.

I've set…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Exclude networks in the default Tag "Virtual Network" which are defined in UDR

When we are using the default Tag "Virtual Network" in NSG to make a Rule for intra VNE communication, the UDR networks are automatically included in the default Tag "Virtual Network", e.g. I have defined a UDR as route route / network 0.0.0.0/0, it is included in to default Tag "Virtual Network", then the Tag is useless for intra vnet communication as it contain the network 0.0.0.0/0.

My Suggestion is to exclude the UDR from default Tag or allow us to make our own Tag. Also when we are creating NSG with multiple destination ip/networks from same source ip/network and…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    10. Adding multiple NSGs to a NIC

I have several virtual machines in several different subnets that need to apply a certain set of network security rules. But for each VM there are also their own unique rules. I would like to be able to set multiple NSG for the NIC of each virtual machine. I do not want to copy common rules to each NSG.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. virtual network integration panel is broken (August 2017)

Hi,

The section "IP ADDRESSES ROUTED TO VNET" in the App Service Plan/Networking/Virtual Network Integration panel is no longer working.

This looks like a GUI error. The section is empty - does not show the actual configured routes, and does not provide an input box to add additional routes.

This affects classic VNets - I do not know about RM Vnets.

Regards,
      Ben

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. Allow to change subnets modification with enabled vnet peering

Currentl once vnet is deployed and peering is created with another subscription or vnet. Once the peering is set, it is not possible to extend,remove or add another subnets ranges to all vnets which have valid peering configured. For such if you need to modify the subnet, you have to remove the peering (might cause downtime if peering is used), do the subnet modification and recreate the peering again.

182 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. time protocol

Network Time - Precision Time Protocol (IEEE 1588 std) support

Azure should provide a know reference service for a network time protocol such as NTP or preferably for the IEEE 1588 standard Precision Time Protocol, or provide this as an option with the Blockchain service.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Allow a VM's NIC to use a VNET\Subnet from another Subscription

Given that the syntax of json deployment templates allows referencing resources by a unique resourceid which includes the guid of the subscription, I would like to create a VM in subscription 'A', whose NIC references a subnet that is part of a VNET in subscription 'B'.

The reason for this is two-fold:
      1) This would allow a corporate networking function to securely manage all the networking infrastructure in a corporate IT-owned and managed subscription, but allow it to be consumed by line-of-business units, whose subscriptions are restricted (via ARM policies) to not allow the creation of VNETs.
      2) This would…

70 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Allow transitive network flow between peered VNET's

if we assume Three networks.

VNET1 <> VNET2 <>VNET3

<> denotes vnet peering

A machine on VNET1 cannot directly see a machine in VNET3

We would like this facility to enable us to build a network design without having to use vitual network appliances to make this happen.

133 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      10 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Support VNET re-deployment without destroying subnets

When you deploy a VNET from an ARM template in incremental mode I would expect omitting the subnet property would not change the subnets since they are child resources. Instead they are destroyed. I think this is inconsistent with all other similar resource types e.g. app service plans and web apps, azure SQL servers and databases, etc... Please make VNETs and subnets deployments consistent.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/issues/2786

259 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      8 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Allow transit routing between ExpressRoute, VPN Gateways, and NVAs by allowing them to peer with BGP and exchange routes.

Allow transit routing between ExpressRoute Gateways, VPN Gateways, and NVAs by allowing them to peer with BGP and exchange routes. This functionality would give the customer more flexibility in how they lay out their network.

186 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      12 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. VM MAC address spoofing

I wanted to run multiple LXC/LXD containers on a single Linux VM and make them exposed to VNET via a bridged interface to provide services in the private network. That's not possible without VM/VNIC ability of MAC address spoofing. Please support it.

63 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Create a UDR nextHopType VnetPeering

At the moment there is no way to set a UDR route entry nextHopType to Vnet Peering. This makes it cumbersome to overwrite standard routes to force them through for instance a virtual firewall.

For instance, I would like to be able to route a full VNET peered address space to a Virtual Firewall NIC IP, and then make a more specific route for the subnet of the Virtual NIC pointing to VnetPeering. At the moment you will have to keep the standard created address space summary and create multiple specific routes for all the other subnets.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  2 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal

We cannot specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal, so it's required to specify IP address after VM creation. We want to specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal.

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base