Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Expand vendor support for Azure virtual network TAP

Allow Azure virtual network TAP to send collected data to a VM running Suricata, Snort, riverbed etc, not only the current list of vendors.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      started  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Allow us to view the effective route for an Subnet without requiring an Interface inside of the subnet.

Currently in order to view the effective routes for a subnet you need to have some kind of network interface inside of the subnet. I find that sometimes I need to view the routing table for a subnet, but it doesn't contain any VMs. Could you add functionality to allow us to view the effective routes without having to provision anything inside of it?
      My use case is that I host ILB ASEs in dedicated subnets, but I can't view the routing table because there are no VMs inside of it.

57 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Apply NSG at subnet without applying to NICs

Provide ability to apply an NSG at the subnet level that is NOT applied to each individual NIC as is currently the case.

Say I have five subnets and want to block all inbound traffic to subnet A from the other subnets except for one port.

If I apply a deny all rule to VirtualNetwork, this blocks all communication between VMs in subnet A which breaks cluster type setups unless explicit allow rules are added.

If I don't apply a deny all rule I have to explicitly add the other subnets as deny, but if another subnet is added it…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. VNet is difficult to manage

Splitting a resource group for each service makes it hard to connect the service to the network.

I offer VNet peering free of charge or demand network service globalization

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      need-feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. effectiveNetworkSecurityGroups and effectiveRouteTable to have 'read' rather than 'action' t better integrate with Azure RBAC

The 'Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/effectiveRouteTable/action' and 'Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/effectiveNetworkSecurityGroups/action' provider actions must rather end with a 'read' to better integrate with Azure RBAC. Customers have to write a new role definition for a reader to just be able to read effective NSG rules (while individual NSGs and NSG rules can be read by a reader). The fact that these two actions end with a 'action' makes a reader not have access to leverage this feature.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. Need ability to update NIC IP configurations for VMs that are stopped but not deallocated

When attempting to update NIC IP configurations for Azure VMs that are stopped but not deallocated, the update request times out after a long time period and subsequent requests for changes to the VM's NIC configuration fail. Users should be able to make this type of change without a failure or a long time-out period.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. I would like to be able to define DNS Servers on a subnet level and not just at the vNet level

I sometimes have different DNS Servers that I want to assign to each subnet within a vNet. I currently can't find a way to do that except for changing the DNS Servers on each VM's NIC in the subnet.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Attach second network interface to already running instance

I would like to be able to attach new network interface to already started instance (single VM or VM in scale set)

Reason for that is for example:
      https://www.credera.com/blog/technology-solutions/how-to-automate-zookeeper-in-aws/ (Option 3)

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    9. Add Ability to create a Dynamic Object "Local Subnet" Route in a Route Table

We have a configuration where we want VMs on the same subnet to communicate directly through the virtual network, and VMs on different subnets to communicate through a firewall. We have done this by defining a unique route table for for each subnet.

It would be far more better to have a "Local Subnet" object so that a single route table could be used for all the subnets in a vnet. For example, create a route with Address Prefix as "Local Subnet" with nexthop "Virtual Network".

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Complete Network map

Complete Network map - NICs connected to subnet - connected to vnet and NSG rule name

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Custom Network Security Group service tags

Currently service tags for NSG are assigned by Azure. It would be nice if we can tag several subnets and then use that tag in the NSG.

For example, I have 5 subnets used for DMZ. I can tag them as "DMZ". Now in my LAN subnet, I can deny inbound from service tag DMZ. Rather than having to create multiple rules for each subnet.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Add a system route for KMS

Could you please add a system route to the KMS server. (kms.core.windows.net / 23.102.135.246)
      When using forced-tunneling, we must set an UDR to the KMS manually.

36 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. 20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. vnet peering too expensive

Best practices are to create a subscription for ExpressRoute and then peer VNets for different subscriptions. This doubles the cost of traffic to and from Azure making it a non start for most. It is understandable to have costs between regions, but for networking that would be no cost if in the same subscription, why is there then a cost for my networks in my two subscriptions in the same region? These cost make it impossible to follow best practices for security, design, partner management, etc.

29 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Enable Jumbo Frames with Accelerated Network

Accelerated Network still has MTU = 1500, which creates too much overhead at 30 Gb/s speed. Would be helpful to have it at 9000 by default or at least configurable.

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. IP-in-IP

Provide the ability to unblock IP-in-IP encapsulated packets in a virtual network.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      need-feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. MS NVA to over come transitive issues and costs for 3rd party NVAs

Provide an MS NVA to over come the cost of having to implement 3rd party NVA's, to provide routes between Vnets, due the the lack of support for transtive routes, whilst having to useUDRs is very time consuming and creates additional administrative burdens. As well as massive additional costs burdens.

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Tell the user which objects prevent an object from being deleted

I wanted to delete a Virtual Network and it kept telling me that it was in use and that I should come back later if I just deleted an object that used this Network.
      However, the actual reason was that the Virtual Network still had a Gateway configured. As this gateway only shows up inside the Virtual Network and not on "All Resources", I wasted hours to figure out why I couldn't delete the network.

Suggestion:
      If I can't delete an object because it is in use or has children, give me a list of those objects that prevent the…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Daniel, we’ve made some updates here, our error messages tell you what resources are preventing delete VNet.

Further, we created a diagnostic in the support work flow (Azure Portal, support ticket creation: Virtual Network > Management > Cannot delete VNet) to tell you exactly what resources are preventing delete, too!

Hope this helps, let us know your feedback

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-troubleshoot-cannot-delete-vnet

- Anavi N [MSFT]

19. Ability to limit access only to the specific storage account

VNet Service Endpoint achieves secure access to storage from virtual network, but there is still a risk that someone might leak our sensitive data to his/her own storage account.
      To make sure our data is stored in our storage account, we really need the ability to limit access to the specific approved storage account.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    20. update DNS settings for VNET without restart of the VMs to take effect

Current when we try to update the DNS settings in the VNET or NIC, it required the VMs to be restarted to take effect. But when there are a large amount of VMs under the VNET, it would be a hard work to do so.
      If this process could be simplify so that the restarted of VM will be no longer required, it would be a good news.

112 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base