Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Make sure no new network adapters are created or the new one inherites the values of the pre existing NIC.

We use DSC to monitor for compliancy. When someone switches the subnet in Azure a new NIC is created in Windows. The networkingDSC resource enables you to rename a NIC so you can monitor it based on a predictable name for monitoring / orchestration purposes. But when a VM is moved to a new Network subnet it creates a new nic and hides the old one in system devices. DSC is then unable to rename the NIC to the same name as it's config due to the old name being in use.... This behavior breaks the goal of eliminating configuration…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Vnet creation imposes 1 subnet. why not make it optional or allow the creation of all subnet needed at once

upon creating my vnet I can only 1 subnet. an ADD button would be useful to allow the creation of multiple subnet at one time or make it optional

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. There is a bug in firewall settings

in this page:
      https://portal.azure.com/#@XXXX/providers/Microsoft.Network/networkSecurityGroups/xxxx/overview

Where I try to change the ip for more that one inbound rule, there is a validation message says that the port is duplicated (although it is not)

Excepted not to see this message

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Fix summary route's collateral impact on routes within the subnet

Currently, adding a summary route for a particular address space unexpectedly reroutes what should be direct routes of communication between hosts in a subnet. Adding a summary route should not have any collateral impact on routes within the subnet. Also, routes connecting VNETs have to be created manually -- something that should be achievable automatically.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Delete a network security group: this description is insufficient. please make it better

Delete a network security group: this description is insufficient. please make it better

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. Expand vendor support for Azure virtual network TAP

Allow Azure virtual network TAP to send collected data to a VM running Suricata, Snort, riverbed etc, not only the current list of vendors.

12 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      started  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Allow us to view the effective route for an Subnet without requiring an Interface inside of the subnet.

Currently in order to view the effective routes for a subnet you need to have some kind of network interface inside of the subnet. I find that sometimes I need to view the routing table for a subnet, but it doesn't contain any VMs. Could you add functionality to allow us to view the effective routes without having to provision anything inside of it?
      My use case is that I host ILB ASEs in dedicated subnets, but I can't view the routing table because there are no VMs inside of it.

107 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Apply NSG at subnet without applying to NICs

Provide ability to apply an NSG at the subnet level that is NOT applied to each individual NIC as is currently the case.

Say I have five subnets and want to block all inbound traffic to subnet A from the other subnets except for one port.

If I apply a deny all rule to VirtualNetwork, this blocks all communication between VMs in subnet A which breaks cluster type setups unless explicit allow rules are added.

If I don't apply a deny all rule I have to explicitly add the other subnets as deny, but if another subnet is added it…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    9. VNet is difficult to manage

Splitting a resource group for each service makes it hard to connect the service to the network.

I offer VNet peering free of charge or demand network service globalization

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      need-feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. effectiveNetworkSecurityGroups and effectiveRouteTable to have 'read' rather than 'action' t better integrate with Azure RBAC

The 'Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/effectiveRouteTable/action' and 'Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/effectiveNetworkSecurityGroups/action' provider actions must rather end with a 'read' to better integrate with Azure RBAC. Customers have to write a new role definition for a reader to just be able to read effective NSG rules (while individual NSGs and NSG rules can be read by a reader). The fact that these two actions end with a 'action' makes a reader not have access to leverage this feature.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Need ability to update NIC IP configurations for VMs that are stopped but not deallocated

When attempting to update NIC IP configurations for Azure VMs that are stopped but not deallocated, the update request times out after a long time period and subsequent requests for changes to the VM's NIC configuration fail. Users should be able to make this type of change without a failure or a long time-out period.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. I would like to be able to define DNS Servers on a subnet level and not just at the vNet level

I sometimes have different DNS Servers that I want to assign to each subnet within a vNet. I currently can't find a way to do that except for changing the DNS Servers on each VM's NIC in the subnet.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. Attach second network interface to already running instance

I would like to be able to attach new network interface to already started instance (single VM or VM in scale set)

Reason for that is for example:
      https://www.credera.com/blog/technology-solutions/how-to-automate-zookeeper-in-aws/ (Option 3)

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Add Ability to create a Dynamic Object "Local Subnet" Route in a Route Table

We have a configuration where we want VMs on the same subnet to communicate directly through the virtual network, and VMs on different subnets to communicate through a firewall. We have done this by defining a unique route table for for each subnet.

It would be far more better to have a "Local Subnet" object so that a single route table could be used for all the subnets in a vnet. For example, create a route with Address Prefix as "Local Subnet" with nexthop "Virtual Network".

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Complete Network map

Complete Network map - NICs connected to subnet - connected to vnet and NSG rule name

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Custom Network Security Group service tags

Currently service tags for NSG are assigned by Azure. It would be nice if we can tag several subnets and then use that tag in the NSG.

For example, I have 5 subnets used for DMZ. I can tag them as "DMZ". Now in my LAN subnet, I can deny inbound from service tag DMZ. Rather than having to create multiple rules for each subnet.

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      4 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Add a system route for KMS

Could you please add a system route to the KMS server. (kms.core.windows.net / 23.102.135.246)
      When using forced-tunneling, we must set an UDR to the KMS manually.

38 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. 20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. vnet peering too expensive

Best practices are to create a subscription for ExpressRoute and then peer VNets for different subscriptions. This doubles the cost of traffic to and from Azure making it a non start for most. It is understandable to have costs between regions, but for networking that would be no cost if in the same subscription, why is there then a cost for my networks in my two subscriptions in the same region? These cost make it impossible to follow best practices for security, design, partner management, etc.

50 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      5 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Enable Jumbo Frames with Accelerated Network

Accelerated Network still has MTU = 1500, which creates too much overhead at 30 Gb/s speed. Would be helpful to have it at 9000 by default or at least configurable.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base