Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. MS NVA to over come transitive issues and costs for 3rd party NVAs

Provide an MS NVA to over come the cost of having to implement 3rd party NVA's, to provide routes between Vnets, due the the lack of support for transtive routes, whilst having to useUDRs is very time consuming and creates additional administrative burdens. As well as massive additional costs burdens.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Tell the user which objects prevent an object from being deleted

I wanted to delete a Virtual Network and it kept telling me that it was in use and that I should come back later if I just deleted an object that used this Network.
        However, the actual reason was that the Virtual Network still had a Gateway configured. As this gateway only shows up inside the Virtual Network and not on "All Resources", I wasted hours to figure out why I couldn't delete the network.

Suggestion:
        If I can't delete an object because it is in use or has children, give me a list of those objects that prevent the…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to limit access only to the specific storage account

VNet Service Endpoint achieves secure access to storage from virtual network, but there is still a risk that someone might leak our sensitive data to his/her own storage account.
          To make sure our data is stored in our storage account, we really need the ability to limit access to the specific approved storage account.

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Route Tables attached to NIC

I love using Route tables attached to the Subnet under the Virtual Network, could we have Route table attached to NIC as well ?

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • update DNS settings for VNET without restart of the VMs to take effect

Current when we try to update the DNS settings in the VNET or NIC, it required the VMs to be restarted to take effect. But when there are a large amount of VMs under the VNET, it would be a hard work to do so.
              If this process could be simplify so that the restarted of VM will be no longer required, it would be a good news.

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Dynamic routing within VNET

I would like to have the option to dynamically route traffic within a subnet in Azure.
                Example: I have a two VMs acting as tunnel endpoints for 4G<->Network devices. These VMs are connecting to the same endpoints over Internet but use different technologies and have different connection availability. One is fast but unreliable, the other one slow but reliable. This setup is exported from my on premise VMware setup. But for this to work I have to be able to dynamically choose which VM I want to route traffic to, be it using Cisco route tracking or OSPF.

I've set…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Exclude networks in the default Tag "Virtual Network" which are defined in UDR

When we are using the default Tag "Virtual Network" in NSG to make a Rule for intra VNE communication, the UDR networks are automatically included in the default Tag "Virtual Network", e.g. I have defined a UDR as route route / network 0.0.0.0/0, it is included in to default Tag "Virtual Network", then the Tag is useless for intra vnet communication as it contain the network 0.0.0.0/0.

My Suggestion is to exclude the UDR from default Tag or allow us to make our own Tag. Also when we are creating NSG with multiple destination ip/networks from same source ip/network and…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Allow to change subnets modification with enabled vnet peering

Currentl once vnet is deployed and peering is created with another subscription or vnet. Once the peering is set, it is not possible to extend,remove or add another subnets ranges to all vnets which have valid peering configured. For such if you need to modify the subnet, you have to remove the peering (might cause downtime if peering is used), do the subnet modification and recreate the peering again.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • time protocol

Network Time - Precision Time Protocol (IEEE 1588 std) support

Azure should provide a know reference service for a network time protocol such as NTP or preferably for the IEEE 1588 standard Precision Time Protocol, or provide this as an option with the Blockchain service.

11 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow a VM's NIC to use a VNET\Subnet from another Subscription

Given that the syntax of json deployment templates allows referencing resources by a unique resourceid which includes the guid of the subscription, I would like to create a VM in subscription 'A', whose NIC references a subnet that is part of a VNET in subscription 'B'.

The reason for this is two-fold:
                        1) This would allow a corporate networking function to securely manage all the networking infrastructure in a corporate IT-owned and managed subscription, but allow it to be consumed by line-of-business units, whose subscriptions are restricted (via ARM policies) to not allow the creation of VNETs.
                        2) This would…

16 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow transitive network flow between peered VNET's

if we assume Three networks.

VNET1 <> VNET2 <>VNET3

<> denotes vnet peering

A machine on VNET1 cannot directly see a machine in VNET3

We would like this facility to enable us to build a network design without having to use vitual network appliances to make this happen.

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support VNET re-deployment without destroying subnets

When you deploy a VNET from an ARM template in incremental mode I would expect omitting the subnet property would not change the subnets since they are child resources. Instead they are destroyed. I think this is inconsistent with all other similar resource types e.g. app service plans and web apps, azure SQL servers and databases, etc... Please make VNETs and subnets deployments consistent.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/issues/2786

65 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow transit routing between ExpressRoute, VPN Gateways, and NVAs by allowing them to peer with BGP and exchange routes.

Allow transit routing between ExpressRoute Gateways, VPN Gateways, and NVAs by allowing them to peer with BGP and exchange routes. This functionality would give the customer more flexibility in how they lay out their network.

64 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • VM MAC address spoofing

I wanted to run multiple LXC/LXD containers on a single Linux VM and make them exposed to VNET via a bridged interface to provide services in the private network. That's not possible without VM/VNIC ability of MAC address spoofing. Please support it.

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow Agent IP in UDR when using Forced Tunnel

You can not add a UDR for the VM Agent IP when employing Forced Tunneling. This makes deployments fail (e.g. VMSS).

Please allow UDR to the special VM Agent IP of 168.63.129.16

Full error message:
                                  Failed to add route 'DirectRouteToVMAgent' to route table 'VmAgentIp'.

Error: AddressPrefix 168.63.129.16/32 for route DirectRouteToVMAgent is not allowed because its in restricted address space.

41 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal

We cannot specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal, so it's required to specify IP address after VM creation. We want to specify internal IP address during creating VM on Azure Portal.

10 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow the use of a known outbound nat gateway for vnets

VMs placed in a vnet today with a public ip attached, access the Internet from arbitrary, unknown addresses. This makes it hard to manage access from Azure VMs to backend systems relying on IP-address ACLs. We simply need to know which ip address azure vms use for accessing resources outside the vnet. If I use UDR's with dest 0.0.0.0/0, load balancing in Azure doesnt work. Please give us a configurable NAT gatway per subnet or vnet similar to what aws has.

24 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow a UDR to specify any routable "next hop" IP address (not limited to the VNet or Region)

It would be great if a UDR could point to an IP in another region or on-premises via ExpressRoute. The problem today is that If someone invests in a NGFW virtual appliance, it can only be used from the VNet where it exists or others that are peered to it within the same region. A UDR should be able to route to any routable address... why not?

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Want that VNet Peering can be created in another Directory

Currently, VNet Peering between the different subscription there is a description that can be created. However, I checked , there was a need to be a separate subscription in the same directory.

The scene in which Vnet Peering is utilized, the situation is considered overwhelming majority (such as the merger of the company, and integration of the system, etc for connection between VNet and VNet).

70 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            7 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Want that VNet Peering can be created another Region in same Gio

Currently, although it is possible to create a Peering between VNet within the same region, the same thing can be carried out also in the address space and subnets in VNet.

When VNet Peering can be created another Region in Same Gio that becomes available, I believe that the network design and expansion becomes easy.

I kindly ask for your consideration.

34 votes
                                            Vote
                                            Sign in
                                            Check!
                                            (thinking…)
                                            Reset
                                            or sign in with
                                            • facebook
                                            • google
                                              Password icon
                                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                                              planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                            ← Previous 1
                                            • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base