Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details

• Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Network Security Groups - Windows Server Roles and Features Rules

Can a feature be added to allow easy addition of inbound and outbound rules to an NSG for Windows Server Roles e.g. Active Directory Domain Services to add rules for SMB/LDAP/Kerberos to match the rules created/enable by adding a Feature in Server Manager in Windows Server OSs.

11 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Ability to group Network Security Groups

Consider adding some kind of grouping functionality within Network Security Groups. This would make things a lot more simple

Somekind like this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/isablog/2009/11/25/forefront-tmg-rule-grouping/

11 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. allow granular access control to manage NSG rules.

Because only a single NSG is allowed per resource (subnet or NIC) it would be nice to subdivide the rules into groups and allow different teams to manage the different groupings, all within the same NSG. This could allow a central team to implement some rules and an application team to implement some rules. For example, let us define groups by priority-range and then allow different access privileges to different groups. Team 1 can manage group 1 and 4 and team 2 can manage group 2. [Manage = add, modify, delete]

7 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Validate Firewall Rules priority conflicts before starting deployment

When creating a new VM and a new network with inbound firewall rules, if you add two rules with the same priority it will pass validation (see attached screenshot). It will however later fail the deployment with an obscure error message.

Firewall rule priority conflict detection should happen instantly as you type in the rule textbox. That green checkmark should have been red and saying "there is already another rule with this priority"

7 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Auto close/deny port after time

Leaving RDP open is huge security risk, so I prefer it to set "deny" by default and only open before using RDP. Most likely I do have to remember to close RDP port after doing my work, but it would be nice if there is a timespan that will close the port after it was opened. So if I forgot, I wouldn't leave RDP port open, it would automatically close after given timeout.

6 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Support dynamic RPC endpoints for domain controller traffic in NSGs

Please consider adding dynamic endpoint support in Network Security Group (NSG) to support Domain Controller traffic between subnets. Basically approve specific traffic types between subnets.

5 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      4 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Add Application Security Groups from other Region to NSG

Would like to be able to select Application Security Groups from Remote regions in an NSG.

4 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. Wildcard mask support for NSG's

It would be great if NSG's would support Wildcard masks to deny/permit traffic in a more granular way. The way most network vendors do it.
      This would make it much easier to permit and deny traffic based on a subnet scheme

4 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9. Add "Subscription" tag in the NSG rules

Story:
      As a DevOps engineer
      I want to easily block network access within a subscription with a single NSG rule (for specific resources using a that rule)
      So that I don't have to manage multiple NSG rules.

Background:
      We would like to ring-fence our subscriptions, so that one (e.g. Production) cannot "talk" to another one (e.g. Non-production).

We can currently achieve it with multiple NSG rules, where we allow/block IP ranges or vnets.

It would be much easier to manage this for our purpose if we could add a "subscription" tag in the NSG rules and effectively only allow traffic…

4 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10. 4 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Improved audit when NSG is removed/added to a subnet

When an NSG is associated or removed from a subnet I only see "Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworks/subnets/write" in the audit log. It is not clear whether this is a NSG which has been removed or some other activity like additon or removal of a route table on the subnet. It would be useful to see what actually happened for auditing purposes.

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. Add my client ip to allowed list in Inbound NSG

Please, add "add client ip" button for inbound security rules like we have for sql azure

Example why/when we need it: I'm it admin, all my deployment in azure(no site/point to site vpn). I want to have a full access to my azure resources for a next 1-2h. Now I can manually add this rule, but I will spend some time to clarify my current client ip. With this button it will be faster.

Maybe it's sound like keys from kingdom and it's not secured, but I can do it manually anyway. Maybe you could create a temporary inbound rule…

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. ACLs for restricting access to ClearDB

I have a cheap titan cleardb database. I'd like to make it only accessible from within Azure and perhaps from a fixed set of whitelisted IPs.

3 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Ability to select multiple protocols for NSGs

Simplify creating NSG rules by allowing selecting one or multiple protocols for a single rule.

For instance, 3389 requires both UDP and TCP. Instead of creating two seperate rules, one could simply select both TCP and UDP in a single rule.

2 votes
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. network security group

the portal saying NSG updated succeed. But usually it may 1-2 mins until rule taking effect

it will be better if the status are synchronized between NSG portal and VM VFP applying

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Predefined Access Rules for Every Region

Microsoft Azure should have predefined access rules for every region.
      For example, if someone wants to block traffic for every region except only one, should choose to allow for the specific one and add block rule for every other region.
      That would be good for DDos attacks.

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. NSG flow log in classic

We can not use flow log in classic portal.
      I hope we will be able to use this feature in classic too.

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Azure GUI BUG Network Security Group for Gateway

Portal allowing to associating an NSG to a gateway subnet

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. Add Standard set of Network Security Group Rules for Inbound and outbound traffic when creating new rules.

I would like to see standard set of NSG rules for each new subscription that gets created for securing environment. for example SQL, SCCM, DMZ, App servers(Web servers), RDP etc. where we have ability to change the names according to our naming conventions and populate or have options to choose subnets, single VM.

1 vote
      Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 Next →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base