Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Validate Firewall Rules priority conflicts before starting deployment

When creating a new VM and a new network with inbound firewall rules, if you add two rules with the same priority it will pass validation (see attached screenshot). It will however later fail the deployment with an obscure error message.

Firewall rule priority conflict detection should happen instantly as you type in the rule textbox. That green checkmark should have been red and saying "there is already another rule with this priority"

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Microsoft maintained UDR for MS services

MS maintained UDR or firewall rule that enables traffic for MS services to allow outbound traffic from a host in a DMZ. Outbound traffic to all of 443 from a DMZ host to enable backups is a bad design - and using the MS provided IP List includes ALL services including other customers IAS servers - as an attacker all they would need to do to exfil data is to setup an azure host to send it to. It would be better enable outbound traffic for specific services such as backup and have MS maintain a list of that IPs…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Auto close/deny port after time

Leaving RDP open is huge security risk, so I prefer it to set "deny" by default and only open before using RDP. Most likely I do have to remember to close RDP port after doing my work, but it would be nice if there is a timespan that will close the port after it was opened. So if I forgot, I wouldn't leave RDP port open, it would automatically close after given timeout.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Improved audit when NSG is removed/added to a subnet

When an NSG is associated or removed from a subnet I only see "Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworks/subnets/write" in the audit log. It is not clear whether this is a NSG which has been removed or some other activity like additon or removal of a route table on the subnet. It would be useful to see what actually happened for auditing purposes.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Named network sets (avoid repeated network rules in every Azure service)

Both SQL Server and Storage now support firewall for inbound requests, where I can inform authorized IP addresses or virtual networks that have access. It is expected that other Azure services will follow that (Key Vault? Data Lake?).

The problem is that if I have a subset of services that use same firewall rules, I have to repeat these rules over and over.

The suggestion is that Azure Network allows definition of a named network set, or simply named network definition, and then in each service I simply inform that name, instead of repeating the rules again,

This way if…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Predefined Access Rules for Every Region

Microsoft Azure should have predefined access rules for every region.
      For example, if someone wants to block traffic for every region except only one, should choose to allow for the specific one and add block rule for every other region.
      That would be good for DDos attacks.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Network Security Groups - Windows Server Roles and Features Rules

Can a feature be added to allow easy addition of inbound and outbound rules to an NSG for Windows Server Roles e.g. Active Directory Domain Services to add rules for SMB/LDAP/Kerberos to match the rules created/enable by adding a Feature in Server Manager in Windows Server OSs.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. apply filter ip origen azure in NGS

apply filter ip origen azure in NGS.
      This option is like "Allow access to Azure services" in "SQL server Azure"

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    9. Add Standard set of Network Security Group Rules for Inbound and outbound traffic when creating new rules.

I would like to see standard set of NSG rules for each new subscription that gets created for securing environment. for example SQL, SCCM, DMZ, App servers(Web servers), RDP etc. where we have ability to change the names according to our naming conventions and populate or have options to choose subnets, single VM.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    10. Allow network security to allow or deny other network security groups

Amazon Web Services allows a security group to allow or deny other security groups (including itself). This allows you to easily group NICs (VMs) into the same "VLAN", or to allow one "server role" to access another "server role" (for example allow the WAP security group to access the ADFS security group)

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Allow referencing an Azure resource by id in Network Security Groups

NSG's should allow the use of Azure resource ID in addition to ip addresses for NSGs. For example, if I reference the ID of a webapp, then the rule will apply to the public IPs of that webapp. If I reference an azure VM, then the rule will apply to the ip address of that vm. And so on. It would make it so much more flexible to build up rules by using resource id's/names than today's very static and cumbersome implementation, especially for complex rules.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. Azure GUI BUG Network Security Group for Gateway

Portal allowing to associating an NSG to a gateway subnet

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. create predefined NSG for Azure Datacenters IP Range

Let's say I have a VM that I want to restrict access from the outside. I want this VM to be accessible from my onprem IPs and from Azure IPs (since a part of my infrastructure is on azure). Since at the moment of discussion ARM VMs do not support static IP address, it will be very useful to create a NSG for allowing traffic only from azure IP ranges. Right now you cannot create such NSG because a NSG only allows a maximum of 100 rules. So, it will be a great idea to have predefined NSG to limit…

88 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Add my client ip to allowed list in Inbound NSG

Please, add "add client ip" button for inbound security rules like we have for sql azure

Example why/when we need it: I'm it admin, all my deployment in azure(no site/point to site vpn). I want to have a full access to my azure resources for a next 1-2h. Now I can manually add this rule, but I will spend some time to clarify my current client ip. With this button it will be faster.

Maybe it's sound like keys from kingdom and it's not secured, but I can do it manually anyway. Maybe you could create a temporary inbound rule…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. 4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Add ability to use a Network Security Group (NSG) as a rule source/target

Currently NSG rules have the concept of the source or target being a Tag, and there are a couple predefined tags (Internet, VirtualNetwork, and AzureLoadBalancer). It would be nice if there was a similar feature where you could select the source or target being another network security group. Resources would be considered part of a NSG if they have their network interface associated with that NSG, they are in a subnet associated with that NSG, or they are in a VNET associated with that NSG. This essentially creates a subnet that has a dynamic address space.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Service Groups (tcp/udp) for Network Secrurity Group (NSG) for complex services.

Some time for services to work we need many tcp/udp ports. For example to limit access from DMZ to AD in another subnet we need to create a lot-lot-lot of rules.
      Is it possible to create object with needed tcp/udp ports group and apply this service group to one NSG rule.

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 2 3 5 Next →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base