Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Network Security Group

+Feature Request Discussion - There is a continued need for more intelligent NSG's going forward this is not only to provide a more dynamic, distributable scalable network but to replace more traditional models for DMZ designs. Focusing on distributed designs that do not rely on Virtual Appliances.

There following features I believe would put Azure ahead of other cloud providers. These could be canned as a premium offering charged per NSG on any number of measures even number of requests etc..

1. DNS Based Rules
      2. NSG NameSpaces for MS Public Services especially Azure PaaS Servers by Service
      3. Custom…

129 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Copy NSG

I want to copy new NSG from the existing NSG's similar policy.
      I don't want to keep making the same or similar to the NSG policy.
      The NSG copy function is required.

92 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Support dynamic RPC endpoints for domain controller traffic in NSGs

Please consider adding dynamic endpoint support in Network Security Group (NSG) to support Domain Controller traffic between subnets. Basically approve specific traffic types between subnets.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      4 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Network Security Rules by MAC address also.

Network Security Rules by MAC address also. Right now the portal only allows filtering via IP address or CIDR block. I would like to allow remote laptops to access but their WAN IP keeps changing.

44 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Setting NSG immediately

When NSG is set from PowerShell or the portal, the operation successfully completes soon but it takes a few minutes before the NSG setting will take effect.
      Please set NSG setting immediately.

69 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Ability to create source/destination objects containing multiple IP addresses/ranges

When creating NSGs it would be nice to be able to define network object groups that contain a list of IP addresses or ranges which can then be applied to the source or destination addresses of the NSG. If I only want to allow services to a specific set of IPs I have to create a rule for each distinct IP address. Even having the ability to add multiple IPs or IP ranges would work for source/destination but objects would be better so they can be used across multiple rules.

166 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Allow network security groups to be created and renamed

Currently, it seems I can't create security groups without creating an instance, or rename them for that matter. Or can I?

My use case: I created an instance and and 'SSH' security group with it. Then decided I want to test HTTP as well via public IP. Oh well, I can't rename the SSH group to e.g. 'SSH+HTTP', nor can I create a new group to change the NIC to.

303 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      12 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Network and Service object group support for NSG

Network and Service object group support is missing in Network security Group (NSG). This makes NSG more difficult to Manage and control. Please consider this to make NSG more efficient.

34 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Enable the application of Network Security Group rules to groups of IPs

Allow the creation of groups that contain multiple IP addresses. Then allow the application of Network Security Group rules to the group. As an example I could create a group, add the IP addresses of all my Domain Controllers to the group, then apply rules to the group, rather than duplicating rules for each Domain Controller where the only difference is the IP address.

67 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    10. Be able to manage Role/Action at subnet level inside a vnet

In ARM and RBAC model : Possiblity to have the subnet as an independant resource to be able to say using RBAC : "i want my user1 to be able to deploy VM to subnet 1 and 2 but not 3 because subnet 3 is an infrastructure subnet unhautorized to users."

41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. allow granular access control to manage NSG rules.

Because only a single NSG is allowed per resource (subnet or NIC) it would be nice to subdivide the rules into groups and allow different teams to manage the different groupings, all within the same NSG. This could allow a central team to implement some rules and an application team to implement some rules. For example, let us define groups by priority-range and then allow different access privileges to different groups. Team 1 can manage group 1 and 4 and team 2 can manage group 2. [Manage = add, modify, delete]

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Introduce managed SSL for Microsoft Azure

This should be the accepted standard for secure Internet communications. Not sure why Microsoft refuses to commit to this after so many customer requests. Instead, charging customers high prices to communicate securely continues. Google Cloud has already implemented this feature.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. Predefined Access Rules for Every Region

Microsoft Azure should have predefined access rules for every region.
      For example, if someone wants to block traffic for every region except only one, should choose to allow for the specific one and add block rule for every other region.
      That would be good for DDos attacks

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. network security group

the portal saying NSG updated succeed. But usually it may 1-2 mins until rule taking effect

it will be better if the status are synchronized between NSG portal and VM VFP applying

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. ACLs for restricting access to ClearDB

I have a cheap titan cleardb database. I'd like to make it only accessible from within Azure and perhaps from a fixed set of whitelisted IPs.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Wildcard mask support for NSG's

It would be great if NSG's would support Wildcard masks to deny/permit traffic in a more granular way. The way most network vendors do it.
      This would make it much easier to permit and deny traffic based on a subnet scheme

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Site Categorization for the new Azure Firewall

Adding the ability to restrict outbound traffic based on Site Categorization would be great. This would give the ability to restrict outbound access to adult, gambling and other questionable sites.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Azure Firewall NAT Rules

When the UDR assoc the Subnet is not possible connect by RDP from the Internet, or other services exposed in the internet.

If I could create the NAT Rule on the Azure Firewall I can expose any services in internet and this issue would be resolved.

thank you so much.

Best Regards

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. NSG flow log in classic

We can not use flow log in classic portal.
      I hope we will be able to use this feature in classic too.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Transparent interception for security appliances

Allowing a method of transparent interception for network/security appliances to allow them to operate, but still be able to take advantage of configuring new applications completely via ARM.

e.g. new app has external load balancer, 3 tier of VMs etc. But we could slot an IPS in between Ext Load Balancer and Web tier, or outside ELB etc.. Without having to also configure a Layer 3 policy & NAT on security appliance.

Ideally have options of both inline, and "SPAN" mode. and be able to attach to Load Balancers, NICs, and where there are tags, eg 'Internet' routes.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Peter, Thanks for the suggestion, Looks like you are looking for a way to be able to get ERSPAN or port mirroring functionality that can be transparently switched on any VM , and if you slot in a IPS/advanced inline processing functionality of your choice that acts a collector to obtain and do what it needs to do, that would do the job, is that right?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base