Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Azure Load Balancer to support HTTPS probes

Currently it is not possible to utilise a HTTPS (port 443) probe against a backend pool and as a result you must use either port 80 or a TCP probe which isn't the same as actually making a HTTPS request and testing the HTTP response code.

240 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        5 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Endpoints can accept a port range instead of entering each open open one at a time

If I have a port range it is really a pain to add endpoints if I need to add a port range between 20000 and 20010 for TCP and UDP. In this case I have to create 20 endpoints.

222 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide explicit drain stop capabilities for Load Balancing.

Many on-prem systems rely on an ability to gracefully drain traffic from a node before removing it from load balancing for updates or maintenance. While there are workarounds today for the Azure Load Balancing infrastructure (http://serverfault.com/questions/686095/gracefully-take-a-server-out-of-azure-load-balancer-drain-stop) it's not as flexible as existing on-prem services. Please add this feature.

146 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Increase Idle Timeout on Internal Load Balancers to 120 Mins

We use Azure Internal Load Balancers to front services which make use of direct port mappings for backend connections that are longer than the 30 min upper limit on the ILB. That is, our ILBs accept port connections on a nominated set of ports and pass those connections to the backend services running on the same ports.
            We are experiencing dropped TCP connections from clients connecting to the backend services via the ILB. After investigating the issue in collaboration with the Azure Networking Team it was verified that altering the default OS TCP keep alive duration to below 30mins would…

113 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support SNAT on internal Azure load Balancer

Currently it seems Azure Internal Load Balancer does not support Source NAT.
              this mean that if 2 different services hosted on 2 different VM and the VM are on the same vnet the traffic is not load balanced if the ILB route the traffic to the same VM that start the request.
              example:
              Service A (exposed on port x) and B (exposed on port y) are hosted on VM 1 and VM2 on the same vnet.
              Service A has VIP z and Service B has VIP m.
              if service A is recalled via VIP z from VM 1 and ILB…

68 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • LoadBalancerProbe element to support SSL

LoadBalancerProbe element to support https rather than just http - after all it's only been around since the nineties.

56 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Display health probe status in Load Balancer

Display health probe status for each node in the backend pools in Load Balancer

51 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow Upgrade or Swap VIP also when number of endpoints has been changed

Or allow the external IP address to be fixed/allocated to the Hosted Service.

The scenario is that during the lifetime of the application you may need to modify the number of endpoints, and re-deploy the solution BUT KEEP PUBLIC IP.

The best would be if Swap VIP could handle this - to avoid downtime, but I am willing to have some downtime as long as Upgrade is supported. This is to avoid service unavailable during the time DNS CNAME records are updated.

41 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Custom Destination on load balancer failure

It would be good if when the loadbalancer probe fails (It can't reach any page in a timely fashion) it could redirect to a failureURL. This way in the event that something is going wrong customers could still be given a brandend friendly error message or be assured we are working on it.

33 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow ICMP ping to VIP (Allow Ping inbound)

Vote for allowing UDP through the firewall. Such as ping inbound, because the ping are the minimal required for so much app.

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • implement a method to determine if a server in an ARM load balancer is actually active

Currently there is no way of seeing if a VM in an ARM load balancer is actually active or not, by way of the probe being successful. A VM could be in a load balancer but if the probe is failing the VM is not actually part of the load balancer and servicing any requests.

It would be useful for this information to be available via the portal and also from powershell.

13 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Azure Load Balancer to support having VMs from multiple availability sets in the backend.

Currently, only VMs from a single Availability Set is allowed and there are scenarios where a user may wish to add a VM from a 2nd availability set to the backend pool.

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Load Balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • http probing SharePoint VMs

Hi,
                              we have an Azure IaaS dev SharePoint farm and we use Azure Load balancer to handle visitors trafic. We need to probe the SharePoint VMs using http (to get http return codes from a specific SharePoint page) and we discovered that to make http probing work, we had to add an unrelated 100.64.0.0/10 IP to the internal SharePoint alternate access mappings, which turned out to be the VM's physical host private Ip address.
                              Problem is, we shut down the dev VM at night and when they're restarted, they're reallocated to a new host and then refuse to answer correctly…

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for suggesting this. This is appears to be a defect triggered by the mandatory HTTP Host: header specifically. We’re investigating how we can address, how the interaction with Sharepoint AAM actually takes place and how we can change this without breaking existing deployments. This will take some time to sort out.

• Load Balancing on Linux servers - net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle & reuse settings

Currently you don't allow net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle, net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse and net.ipv4.tcp_tw_timestamps to be set to 1. You require them to be set to default 0. For our MapR performance improvements, we are required to set them to 1 - which prevents the wait time for the socket to become available and reuses existing.

It will be nice if you could allow us to use the Load Balancer even when we set the reuse and recycle flag to 1.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for suggesting this. I have added this is to feature backlog and we need to investigate further if this can be addressed or how. Please follow current support guidance for now to set these kernel variables as follows:

net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 0
                                  net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 0
                                  net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base