Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. traffic manager api

I would like an API call that can be made to get the list of traffic manager IP addresses. (this list https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/traffic-manager/traffic-manager-faqs#what-are-the-ip-addresses-from-which-the-health-checks-originate.)

That way we can automate the checking of this list and alert if it is amended, and also automate updating our azure services. Just having a website to check is too manual.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      started  ·  0 comments  ·  Domain Name Service (DNS, Traffic Manager)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. rfc7871 user IP in DNS request

Add support for the rfc7871 to Geographic traffic-routing method

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. Ability to set a TTL value to Automatic

I've never seen this option in a DNS service but I always thought it would be cool to have an automatic TTL setting that would work like this:

Whenever I change a record, if I had the TTL on Auto then it would lower the TTL to something like 5 minutes. Then each week after it would double it until it was finally up to some max value (it would be nice also if I could optionally specify the max value).

The scenario I have for this are cases like domain name transfers, or any time I'm setting up some…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. add source port for every conversation in Traffic Analytics dashboard

Currently sessions are summarized for source IP to desination IP+port. There is source port missing in that schema which would allow for recognition of separate conversations to the same client+service pair.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. show destination public IPs in Traffic Analytics

Currently, there is summarization done for destination public IPs and only destination region is visible in Traffic Analytics. Sessions to different public IPs are not separated in the dashboard, hence summary outgoing volume can be viewed only.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

6. Use "DNS name" in downloaded RDP file instead of IP address

I have created a VM with a "DNS name". Connecting to it with the "Connect" button downloads an RDP file, but the RDP only uses the IP address of this VM.

When I shutdown the VM and restart it on another day the IP address has changed.

It would be super convenient that Azure just uses the "DNS name" entry for the RDP file.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Adding a Website subdirectory as part of the CNAME

Creating a CNAME should allow us to point to a Sub Directory for an existing Website.
      For example: I can add a CNAME for a website like www.xyz.com
      But I should also be allowed to point it to the a subdirectory within the Website like www.xyz.com/abc/

This will help simplify the task and reduce the operational hindrance of using Application Gateways along with DNS CNAME

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Azure DNS Logs

Need to access DNS Request Logs on "Azure DNS" service. Actually, we can't search on any logs if we get a DDOS attack on our zone. So, we can receive a big invoice because of huge query number without to know who is requesting our DNS zone.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Offer a domain registry service to go along with Azure DNS

Very simple convenience feature - when everything else is handled on Azure, why make me involve a third party just for the domain registration?

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Maintain "DNS Zone" name server across muliple Zones

Currently Azure DNS Zone will randomly create Zone records in different DNS Servers.

I have a public DNS server which I would like to migrate to Azure DNS Zone, to do this I need maintain my name servers but redirect to Azure's. because every time I create a new zone it is generated in a different DNS Server I can't create the CNAMEs to easily migrate my clients domains.

Could this feature be added.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Support SSHFP records in Azure DNS zones

Since Windows now supports OpenSSH natively, as well as Linux and other clients/servers on the same network, supporting this standard for server authentication seems like an obvious win.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Subdomain feature in Traffic manager

We are looking for subdomain feature in Traffic manager as whenever we are deleting our traffic manager profile, some private users are hijacking our deleted Traffic Manager name, this possesses a severe vulnerability. If we have subdomain feature in traffic Manager this can be avoided. Moreover, there should be a restriction between Corporate and Non Corporate account.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Make TrafficManager more robust when there's a major outage

We configured the TrafficManager to either point to deployement1 or deployment2, which live in different locations, depending on which is in the "prod" role (machines are allocated) or the "backup" role (machines are deallocated). Using the TrafficManager is attractive because the customer doesn't need to make any changes on their end; if we need to revise the TrafficManager to point to the other deployment, it's simple and straightforward to allocate the machines and run a few lines of PS code. However, during the recent extended outage in the South Central US, after allocating the backup machines, when we tried to…

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Develop a tool that will import DNS zone files hosted at other providers like Route53

Since many DNS providers do not allow you to export your zone files create a utility that will harvest them in a format that could be used to import them into Azure DNS.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. 2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Add activity alert feature for DNS record add/delete/modify

Current activity alert for DNS zones available but not for records. Add activity alert feature for DNS record add/delete/modify also.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Traffic Manager - Real user measurements should use https instead of http://www.atmrum.net/rum.js we

Traffic Manager - Real user measurements javascript URL should use HTTPS instead of http://www.atmrum.net/rum.js
      We encounter cross domain issue.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Max

Maxbomb

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. Traffic Manager - automatically add allow rule under IP Restrictions on Azure Endpoints (if used)

I'm using IP Restrictions in Azure Web Apps and Azure Functions. I have to manually add IP Address of Traffic Manager to whitelist it otherwise TM will mark this endpoint as Degradated. It's a pain when Traffic Manager changes it's IP Address - have to update IP Restrictions for all my Azure Endpoints.

Traffic Manager could add rule under IP Restrictions automatically if IP Restrictions are used on Azure Endpoint.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    20. A # in an endpoint name for Traffic Manager breaks UI

Seems like there's a bug in the UI once there's a # in the name of an endpoint in Traffic manager, you can't delete it anymore.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base