Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Azure DNS needs DNSSEC support

DNSSEC is required to be able to secure your DNS requests. At the moment this is not available. We cannot move until our domains to Azure DNS untill these requirements have been met.

567 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks for the suggestion. We recognise the strategic importance of DNSSEC and it is a key feature on our long-term backlog.

DNSSEC represents a very large engineering investment, and hence we have to prioritize carefully vs other work. The most customer data we can get supporting the need for DNSSEC support, the better prioritization decisions we can make. We appreciate your votes and your comments.

• Azure should be its own domain registrar

Windows Azure should offer domain registrar services so users don't have to maintain our domain names with a separate company. This also has the potential to greatly streamline the process of setting up a website on Azure.

515 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Support apex (naked) domains more seamlessly

Some things work, other things don't. I can setup an apex domain, but to get SSL working on an apex domain in hosted cloud service web role requires tweaking. Traffic manager doesn't work with apex domains.
          Azure needs a DNS service like Amazon's Route 53. (http://aws.amazon.com/route53/)

385 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Extend Azure DNS to support zone transfers so it can be used as seconday DNS

If Azure DNS supported zone transfers, then if could be used both as a reliable secondary DNS service, or as an external proxy service for AD split-brain, or on-premise hosted DNS configurations.

378 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks you for the suggestion. This remains a key backlog item for us.

We’d be interested in further input via your comments. Please consider the following questions:
              – Do you require zone transfers in to Azure DNS, or zone transfers out? Why?
              – Do you require AXFR or IXFR?
              – How should zone transfers be secured?

• Add CAA record

Add the ability to add a CAA record! This is now becoming more important with Qualys flagging it as a "requirement".

278 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Traffic Manager for SQL Database

The traffic manager is a great way to account for failover between web nodes in different data centers. However, an analogous paradigm doesn't exist for databases. In the premium tier, you can enable active geo-replication. However, all applications dependent on the primary either need to have their connection strings changed over when failing over between data centers, or they have to have some sophisticated retry logic built in at the application tier. It would be great if applications could point to a single, consistent endpoint and the geo-failover could be handled at a higher level the way it is with…

251 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Traffic Manager Failover profile alert

Can you please add alert rule for Azure traffic manager to update the co-admin by sending mail alert whenever there is a down of primary / secondary and switch over?

Since our customer wants to create alert for this scenario.

This will greatly relax the customer to sit in a place to watch service changes through mail.

165 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Possibility to set a DNS Suffix on Azure networks (like DNS Servers)

There are many scenarios for Virtual Machines (and Other maybe) where NIC settings are cleared (VM Deallocated). DNS Servers can be set on Azure Network, and this VM will have DNS Servers settings via DHCP. But we have to set DNS Suffix manually each time, or set a script automatically at each boot.
                    The idea is just to have a way to set a suffix DNS for VM Networks, with the same way as DNS Servers. With this settings, DHCP will assign DNS suffix to all VM automatically.

152 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Enable split DNS for providing both public and internal name resolution to VMs in the VNET.

Amazon Route 53 supports split-view DNS, so you can configure public and "PRIVATE" hosted zones to return different external and internal IP addresses for the same domain names.
                      i think a similar capability can be very useful also in Azure

97 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Introduce 'Vanity name servers'

We would like to see an introduction of delegations using name server names in our own zone (sometimes called 'vanity name servers').

Using 'vanity name servers' are important for consolidating our corporate brand.

Currently, the 'host' field of the SOA and the NS records at the zone apex are deliberately locked to discourage us from setting up delegations other than via the Azure DNS name server names.

We realise such delegations would break were we ever to change the Azure DNS name server IP ranges in future, which would obviously need to be resolved prior to the introduction of this.

78 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Provide a 301 (Permanent) redirect service for apex (naked) domains

Discussed in the Azure DNS docs: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/dns-getstarted-create-recordset/#comment-2294403853

Right now, you must use a static IP address if you want to point an apex (naked) domain (e.g., mycompany.com) to a Cloud Service (e.g., mycloudservice.cloudapp.net). Static IP's are stable as long as the Cloud Service isn't deprovisioned; however, for maximum security, simplicity, and maintainability (i.e., even if a cloud service is deprovisioned), it would be awesome if we could have 301 redirects for the apex domain to a the www CNAME endpoint and not need to be concerned with the IP address of the Cloud Service at all. The scenario goes like…

75 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add more configurability to Traffic Manager monitoring endpoint

I would like for the monitoring endpoint configuration to support two new options:

1) How many consecutive times TrafficMgr does not get an http 200 from the endpoint before it deems it down. I have a scenario where I want it to be deemed down immediately after one failure for a quicker failover.
                            2) How many consecutive times TrafficMgr receives an http 200 after it has deemed it down before it will deem it up again. I have seen a scenario where table storage (or SQL Azure) is inconsistent (fails one query then succeeds the next, back and forth) and…

68 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Domain Name Service (DNS, Traffic Manager)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • traffic manager support for external endpoints that are IP addresses instead of FQDN

Support for IPs to be used instead of FQDNs for Azure Traffic Manager external endpoints would reduce the DNS lookup penalty of the external endpoint. Right now 3 DNS lookups are needed: 1, foo.com 2, foo.trafficmanager.net 3, foo-vip.externalendpoint.com

Supporting foo.trafficmanager.net pointing to the IP for #3 eliminates the DNS lookup for #3 in the example above

46 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback. We are considering this, it is a required feature for supporting ‘naked’ domains in Traffic Manager (another requested feature).

In the meantime, the latency of the lookups you describe can be reduced in practice by using long TTLs on all except the <..>.trafficmanager.net DNS entry, so that the other DNS records are typically retrieved from the local DNS cache.

• Traffic Manager Logging & Alerts

Traffic Manager needs to keep track of past endpoint health failures.
                                In addition to this it should be possible to configure alerts about changes to endpoint health.

43 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Domain Name Service (DNS, Traffic Manager)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • We need the new configuration in Azure Traffic Manager.

We need the new configuration in Azure Traffic Manager.

When prior region is replying intermittent healthy response to Traffice Manager, It occurs Failover and Failback repeatedly.
                                  (e.g. In case the endpoint returns HTTP 500 intermittently by some system failure, if TM receives HTTP 200 by luck when TM probes there, TM sends requests to troublous endpoint until next probe chance.)

We need the configuration that manual Failback.

43 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Generic TCP/UDP protocols for Monitor settings

Hello,

I am configuring a generic TCP services with traffic manager. It looks like the service is working perfectly fine and client sessions are directed correctly to the nearest server/azure datacentre; however monitoring of the service seems to be available only for HTTP/HTTPS services.

This is not going to work for generic TCP services and traffic manager believes that the service is degraded/offline whereas the service is running perfectly fine.
                                    I highly suggest to make the monitoring of the traffic manager services available for generic TCP/UDP services as well.

Company: FxPro Financial Services
                                    Contact Name: Panayiotis Annivas

37 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll certainly consider this. We’d be interested in votes and comments from other users on this topic.

• Formalize the Traffic Manager user agent string

I would like to see the user agent that Traffic Manager uses in its HTTP requests as part of monitoring/probing become formalized so that applications can take a dependency on the user agent string name and not worry about it changing in the future affecting the application that has behavior that depends on the user agent.

For an example where the user agent string is needed to comply with URL canonicalization needs along with Traffic Manager being involved, please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/d9f8e779-644d-4263-990c-9de5a7cf403c/is-the-user-agent-for-traffic-manager-guaranteed.

30 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Alias records

I have a number of DNS records for various webapps in my zone... all of which point to the same host. I understand the limitations CN's, but the convenience of maintaining them is too great.

My request is to provide an "alias" record, which provides a single record to maintain, but is applied as A/AAAA records.

The benefit is to bridge CNAME convenience with RFC incompatible goals such as CN apex records.

29 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow Traffic Manager to Support Absolute Monitoring Endpoints

Current endpoint monitoring in Traffic Manger only supports a relative path. For flexibility, it would be great to support a full url path like http://www.example.com/health

21 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Support edns-client-subnet extension in Traffic Manager

I'm surprised to learn the Traffic Manager does not support the client-subnet feature. Most major CDNs & DNS providers seem to support it.

18 votes
                                            Vote
                                            Sign in
                                            Check!
                                            (thinking…)
                                            Reset
                                            or sign in with
                                            • facebook
                                            • google
                                              Password icon
                                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                                              planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Domain Name Service (DNS, Traffic Manager)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                            ← Previous 1
                                            • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base