Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Integrate Azure Firewall with Just in Time VM Access

I'd like to get rid of my NSGs but need to keep them around for Just in Time VM Access. It would be nice if that feature integrated with Azure Firewall instead of just the Network Security Groups.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Why does it take 5 minutes+ to save changes to Azure Firewall?

Is it possible to make it quicker to save changes to Azure Firewall? A simple rule change takes upwards of 5 minutes to complete.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. Azure Firewall - Allow rules for any port on FQDNs

Currently there is no option to allow connections to FQDNs through the Azure firewall unless the connection is on port 80 or 443.
      This means that we can't secure connections from IaaS VMs to services such as Service Bus which requires ports 9350-9354.
      Currently the only other alternative is a 3rd party NVA.

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

4. Diagnostic log for Azure Firewall includes rule collection name for each entry

Right now, if we follow https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/firewall/tutorial-diagnostics. The Diagnostic log entry for Azure Firewall likes below:
      { "category": "AzureFirewallNetworkRule", "time": "2019-09-03T10:08:17.4381790Z", "resourceId": "/SUBSCRIPTIONS/xxxx/RESOURCEGROUPS/***/PROVIDERS/MICROSOFT.NETWORK/AZUREFIREWALLS/***", "operationName": "AzureFirewallNetworkRuleLog", "properties": {"msg":"TCP request from 10.0.1.100:22 to 112.85.42.195:45791. Action: Deny"}}

Due to security policy and audit purpose on customer side, We want to have the rule collection name can be recorded as well, so that we know the traffic hits which rule.

"category": "AzureFirewallNetworkRule", "time": "2019-09-03T10:08:17.4381790Z", "resourceId": "/SUBSCRIPTIONS/xxxx/RESOURCEGROUPS/***/PROVIDERS/MICROSOFT.NETWORK/AZUREFIREWALLS/***", "operationName": "AzureFirewallNetworkRuleLog", "properties": {"msg":"TCP request from 10.0.1.100:22 to 112.85.42.195:45791. Action: Deny"}, "RuleCollectionName": "***"}

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  1 comment  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Update Subscription Limits Documentation

Update your subscription limits documentation. Your documentation makes no mention of the single public IP address limitation. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits#azure-firewall-limits. Thanks.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

6. Feeback regarding Firewall Deployment on Azure

The following feedback has been posted by one of your customers regarding Deployments of Firewalls on Azure:
      "I did not recieve a cost per day when deploying, and no indication for the monthly cost via the analysis. So i was supprised that the cost in a matter of a few days exceeded 100. It was good that I triggered a cost alert. The dashboard should provide cost of FW up front, and a way to down the FW when the rest of the machines are turned off. I would like to run the VMs only when needed, so I would…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Rules disappear

I've had several instances where rules are saved but then disappear. This occurs in both Edge and Chrome.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. User / Group based Firewall Rules

To move existing Webservices to Azure (Linux Webservers with internal Services) i would like to place them behind an Azure Firewall with Path Through Authentication against Azure AD, so that employees have access to the Ressource and any other access is blocked.I want to create Rules based on users not on IP-Addresses.

Regards,
      Reiner

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  1 comment  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. FQDN like this 'gr-Prod-*.cloudapp.net' can not be set

Even though this rule is mentioned in the docs here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/environment/firewall-integration#fqdn-httphttps-dependencies, it's not possible to create because the portal says `gr-Prod-*.cloudapp.net` invalid FQDN.

I know that ASE rules should be handled by Service Tags, but not in my case.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Consumption based pricing for Azure Firewall

The fixed hourly cost of azure firewall makes it prohibitively expensive to use in low-volume scenarios. We don't want to be put in a situation where we have to make a financial decision that overrides security patterns/architectures. Please give us some more licensing options so that we can take this product and deploy comprehensively through our networks at any point of scale.
      Thanks,
      Ben

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. 3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. Disable SNI TLS extension check on Azure Firewall

We are getting a lot of "Action: Deny. Reason: SNI TLS extension was missing" on Azure Firewall Log, which causes application failure if client application doesn't support SNI at the time of client hello. Can we add a feature to support Disable SNI check on Firewall manually?

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Add support for Azure Firewall in Cloud App Discovery

Cloud App Discovery can digest firewall logs from known firewall brands. Manually or by implementing a log parsing container application.

Please enable seamless integrations between Cloud App Discovery and Azure Firewall

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow different ICMP packets through Virtual Networks

Currently when defining rules under virtual networks you can only specify ICMP as a whole, you can not specify which type of ICMP packet is allowed

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. Add Service Tag (Internet) to Azure Firewall Network Rule

Hello Team,

It would be nice to add some service tags like Internet in the network rule section when we have to configure an outbound rule to allow VMs to browse the Internet. The current option only allows for IPs, which makes it a bit difficult if one wants the VM to browse the Internet.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Azure Firewall - DNAT rule for the target FQDN.

We can use DNAT rule with source ip address or destination ip address. But I want to use the DNAT rule with the target FQDN. I know application rule can use the target FQDN so I hope we can also use the feature with DNAT rule.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Azure Firewall showing up as "Other classic resources > Deployments"

In Cost Management + Billing, Azure firewall cost shows up under the category "Other Classic Resources > Deployments. This can be misleading. I understand that Firewall billing is billed in two ways, But it should be better designated, so resources billing can be traced.

Thanks

Ref: Service request: 118111921002018

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Allow Azure Firewall to be deployed to different resource group to VNet

Currently Azure firewall must be in the same RG as the VNet, which impacts current RBAC models.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    19. Allow Azure Firewall to be deployed to different resource group to VNet

Currently Azure firewall must be in the same RG as the VNet, which impacts current RBAC models.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    20. Azure firewall provisionning fail cause French local : LocationNotAvailableForResourceType

Azure firewall provisionning fail because French local on portal

LocationNotAvailableForResourceType
      L'emplacement fourni « Europe occidentale » n'est pas disponible pour le type de ressource « Microsoft.Network/publicIPAddresses ».

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base