Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Accept request only from specific source IP address

I'm raising this again as the original from someone else was declined, possibly due to lack of clarity on purpose.

On an app gateway that has multiple listeners, there might be a need for listener A to be accessible from IP x and listener B to be accessible from IP y.

Using an NSG, only the whole of the App Gateway can have rules associated with it. I can't have listener A accept from one IP and listener B from another as listeners do not have a distinct identity that can be referenced in an NSG.

The only way around…

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Customizing OWASP Rules in Application Gateway

There should be the possibility to customize the OWASP rules in the Application Gateway WAF v2, not just the ability to turn them on or off. For example, Rule 911100 (method not allowed by policy) doesn't allow PUT or PATCH HTTP methods. It would be good to be able to modify this rule to allow more methods, not just turn the rule off if we want these methods.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. Azure Application Gateway - support for default route through NVA FW

An Azure Application Gateway subnet can't have a UDR with a default route through an Network Virtual Appliance FW or Backend Health will be "unknown" This is due to asynchronous routing between the Azure Monitoring Service, the App Gateway, and the NVA FW. We need a way to create a route exception in the UDR for the Azure Monitoring Services traffic.

63 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Simplify HTTP redirect

The current method involves a two listeners and doubles the amount of configuration required.
      A better method would be for each listener to have a HTTPS redirect flag on it so anything received on 80 automatically redirects to 443.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Ability to queue Azure configurations from portal

In some services it might take quite a while for configurations to apply (for example Application Gateway). It can take up to 30 minutes for certain configuration to be applied and it is not possible to make other configuration change at the same time so it would be nice to have possibility to queue or batch changes somehow.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    6. Start and stop Application Gateway on Azure portal

Just like ios and andoroid's Azure app, I want the Azure Portal to be able to start and stop Application gateway.

14 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Application Gateway Disable Probe

It's impossible to host non-HTTP processes behind an application gateway due to the health probes. I run a Service Fabric cluster and want the TCP management endpoint (19000) to be available through the gateway so I can take advantage of other offerings. The endpoint is marked as dead since it doesn't respond to HTTTP/S requests. If the AGW could support TCP health checks or allow marking a service as always-up I could accomplish my goal.

14 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Proxy timeout

Possibility to customize the Application Proxy timeout. Default and long is not flexible enough.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    9. Need a function to URL path rewriting in Application Gateway

Currently, I know Azure Application Gateway has a function for redirection of URL path based.

Now, I need a function for rewriting URL path during redirecting a request to backend server.

For example, When Application Gateway received a HTTP request to http://www.contoso.com/test/, it redirects the request as /images/ to backend server.

In other words, I want to set a URL path for backend server in PathRuleConfig in Application Gateway.

75 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Increase listener limit for Application Gateway

Application gateway has a very low listener limit (20 listeners / certificates). This severely limits it's usefulness for multi-tenant/domain applications where a web farm / service hosts many endpoints. IIS itself has no such small limit, but due to constraints on certificate deployment in cloud services, Application Gateway is the only clear path to wide scale SNI based SSL hosting. With it's low limit, it does not come close to meeting our use case. I would suggest the limit be removed or set to a very high limit like 10k+ so many certificates could be bound to host many different…

396 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      23 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have raised the limit to 100 recently. We are regularly reviewing the limits and will continue to look for opportunities to raise the limits even further. If you have scenarios requiring limits higher than what is supported, please add your scenario details here (if you are comfortable with that) or raise an issue with Azure support and we will get back to you.

11. We need the AppGw supports SNI for multiple end-to-end SSL sites(Different Certificate on backends)

We have configured multiple end-to-end SSL sites on AppGw with different certificate, but AppGw doesn't support SNI when probe or forwarding traffic to backend. As a result, we have to configure the same certificate for my all virtual hosts on the backend. Could you please add this SNI feature in the AppGw future version?

12 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. azure application gateway websockets latency metric

When using websockets together with Azure Application Gateway, you end up with artifically increased latencyd in the ApplicationGatewayPerformanceLog. Indeed, all the 101 (websockets) connections remain pending, which is a normal behavior and their duration gets recorded by the gateway. The problem is this normal behavior increases the average latency of all requests (including non-101) and there is no way to filter 101 out of the ApplicationGatewayPerformanceLog logs...Therefore, if we setup an alert on latencyd, this will raise a lot of false positives...While this metric is very useful in the ApplicationGatewayAccessLog because it allows for calculation of average user…

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Allow multiple hostnames in the same Listener Application Gateway

Sometimes we share differents hostnames with the same web site.
      Currently, this means that we have to deploy differents listeners in order to provide access to the same backend pool.

With a 20 listeners limit this solution is a bit expensive...

Would it be possible to add multiple hostnames/sitenames to listener?

Thanks in advance

57 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      4 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Application Gateway Performance

We have two large instances of Application gateway on our application which is a connected client application using long polling. When we did load testing, gateway starts to give 503 with just 10k connections whereas our back-end application just works with just 7 % CPU. When we raised ticket we got a response saying it is as per design. We did not expect this from Application gateway.
      Can you please let us know what is performance metrics of Application Gateway.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. Auto-scale for Application Gateway

I hope Application Gateway instance can increase with auto-scale.

If it has this feature, we dose't need to add instance for many web access.

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Support for drainstop in Azure App Gateway

Traditional loadbalancers support the following states, to facilitate performing maintenance on a system of multiple nodes gracefully:
      Enabled (All traffic allowed)
      Disabled (Only persistant or active connections allowed)
      Force Offline (only active connections allowed)

When a application gateway node is "unhealthy" it only allows active connections. We are looking for a way to force a node into an "unhealthy" state.

The currently supported method is to use a custom probe that checks a file/path. I would like a solution that doesn't involve making changes on the server going into maintenance mode.

33 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Authentication support for application gateway

For lift & shift of legacy systems, application gateway is very useful as we have different kinds of backends (VMs, service fabric, other PaaS services, etc.). The only missing capability is authentication, so we have to implement and configure authentication in various services, which is a big overhead. Otherwise, we have to give up application gateway but set up Nginx VMs instead.

I have also looked at Azure API Gateway, but it seems to be too specialized for public APIs but our services also service static contents and ever-changing private APIs without swagger definition.

207 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Support chunked file transfers through Azure Application Gateway + WAF

This is an issue with the WAF's configuration of OWASP.

When the WAF is in protection mode, it is currently not possible to use the js File API to upload files in a chunked manner to an application behind the Application Gateway. Some of the "chunks" get blocked by the firewall (see attached). This doesn't happen to all chunks but it is common enough that a 100mb file will probably encounter the issue.

I have created a barebones test website which reproduces the issue here: https://github.com/elexisvenator/AzureWAF-chunked-upload-test

I have contacted the OWASP ModSecurity project, who have responded that the Firewall rule…

109 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Hibernate/pause a resource group or subscription

After talking to one of your Senior Support Engineers, they suggested I made a feature request for this.

I'd like to be able to pause, hibernate or otherwise stop a resource group or subscription so that it incurs minimal costs when not in use. I'm suggesting resource group or subscription as one may be easier to implement than the other. Ideally this would be done through ARM but I’d settle for doing it via PowerShell if needed.

I appreciate that VMs can be deallocated but we found that a customer's solution was still using approximately £200 a month due to…

402 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      8 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Application Gateway: SSL Offload: OWASP Header support

Application Gateway: SSL Offload: OWASP Header support

When using an Application Gateway to provide SSL offloading, there are no OWASP security header options. Without them, sites using ssl offloading will remain vulnerable to multiple attacks.

Adding a security headers section to the WAF rules area will allow these to be set for SSL offload sites (and ssl passthrough ideally also). Alternately, these could be tied to each listener or the ssl policy.

This would allow sites that depend on these headers for COMPLIANCE in their industry to use this product without having to configure an expensive workaround for this basic…

12 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base