Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Support for Lists/Arrays in Azure Tables

Azure tables need an option to support lists/arrays for per entity instance.

Both Google App Engine (http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/typesandpropertyclasses.html#ListProperty) and Amazon's simpledb both already offer this.

It enables an effective way to relate entities without the over head of traditional SQL.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions

ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions directly from the backup vault

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mobile client for Azure Files

Create a mobile client for iOS and Android for accessing files on Azure Files. It could be part of OneDrive, Outlook or just a completely new app.

Read-only offline copy support would also be great

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support multiple storage accounts in Azure Storage Emulator

The Azure Storage Emulator only supports a single fixed account (devstoreaccount1).

This makes integration testing and development on the same machine a pain, as we would like to be able to clear the integration testing account entirely before and after each test sequence, without removing development data.

The connection string to the new account could use the extended syntax (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-use-emulator#authenticating-requests-against-the-storage-emulator - not "UseDevelopmentStorage=true"), with the same account key but a different account name, and if need be, different ports for blob/table/queue endpoints.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/40. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

5. Azure Table Storage Events

Allow events to subscribe to fromAzure Table Storage row create, update and delete operations. This would be liked the blob create and update today except for table storage rows.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our long-term goal is to have every service within Azure publish events, however, we have yet to begin work on this one.

As always, we’re passing the feedback along, but make sure you reach out to Storage as well so they hear your voice directly!

6. Changeable "last-modified" file property on Azure File Service

At the moment, our application stores its documents in a normal folder on a network share. The “Last Modification Time” of the files are important for internal version-handling, and our application heavily uses this file-property.

Now we decided to move our documents into the cloud and we started using Azure File Service Preview. When we upload the documents via REST API, the “Last-Modified” property of the uploaded files get the current-time – that’s reasonable.

But unfortunately afterwards the “Set File Properties” REST API call (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn166975.aspx) does not support the change of the “Last-Modified” property. (I tried both with…

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this feedback. Long term, we would like the File REST API for Azure Files to be a superset of the functionality available in SMB. In the short term, we are looking to close some of the gaps in the API that are most painful, like the file attributes that you can set via SMB but not File REST.

We would appreciate further feedback on this item, in particular feedback on the things that you can do today over SMB but not REST to help us prioritize the order in which we close the gap!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

7. Allow me to pay for increased entities/second from a table storage account

Amazon's DynamoDB offers the ability to scale access to a single table, while Azure Table Storage is limited to 5000 entities/account. With Azure Federations now in place, this seems like the last remaining bottleneck for my application as it grows.

Spreading my data across multiple accounts is a suboptimal solution because (1) it requires an additional layer of complexity in my application, (2) these accounts are not free in that I must request more of them from Microsoft myself every time I need more, (3) I'm not guaranteed to get more than 20 (5 to start, 20 if you go…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure table storage should have a way to set the retention policy

There should be a way to implement a Azure table storage retention policy such that anything older than n number of days can be deleted from table storage.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. static website error handling, change 404 to 200

I am trying to host a SPA on the new website, using history (pushState) routing. 2 considerations here:

1. Using CDN supplies for missing SSL for custom domain, but on 2018 I consider both to be very basic and "cannot live/do anything useful" without it. Even if CDN may be useful for production, there are a lot of develop/test use cases where CDN only makes everything more difficult. Using plain http is not an option for inherent insecurity.

2. Trying to use html5 pushState/history routing, something is required to handle reloads for missing paths. Support for custom error document somehow…

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide an actual "read-only" role for Azure File Service

The reader role available in RBAC doesn't really do what you think it'd do when applied to Azure File Service. A user with this role can't even see the Azure File Service when browsing the storage account.

As I understand it this is by design as the reader role works on Azure objects and not on files and folders.

What I need is a method that prevents users from accidentally deleting files or folders by giving them read-only access to the actual files and folders. I don't need fine grained control over access to files and folders, just a straightforward…

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this feedback!

We’re working on or have shipped several features that we think will satisfy this request.

First, we have shipped the share snapshot feature, which enables you to protect a point-in-time for a file share. If a user were to delete a file, you can restore from the previous snapshot. To make this easier, Azure Backup will soon support scheduling share snapshot.

Second, and more to the specific ask in the initial post, we are working on AAD authentication and authorization for Azure file shares. When we ship this feature, you will have the ability to set share ACLs that prevent deletes or modifications.

Thanks,

Will Gries

11. Azure storage - WORM capable blobs

To better use Azure as a compliant storage for archiving, it'd be nice to have Azure to support WORM feature. More info is on the below thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/79258196-b8e1-4e10-90f2-feed54d69d0e/azure-and-worm-for-compliance?forum=windowsazuredata

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently in public preview of immutable storage for Azure Blobs which will enable you to keep your data in a non-erasable and non-modifiable state for a configurable retention interval. Check out the blog post here for more details: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-immutable-blob-storage-now-in-public-preview/

For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

12. Now that you've released Managed Disks, allow us to specify IOPS

This has been requested in other forms, but now that you have Managed Disks you're most of the way there. I would like to be able to say "I want a Managed Disk using standard storage, 1TB in size, with 2500 IOPS." Then you figure out how to configure storage to deliver those IOPS without me having to stripe disks, or whatever.
    Or perhaps "I want a 1TB Managed Disk using premium storage with 15000 IOPS." Again, you figure out how to configure and provision that, so I don't have to. That would be awesome!

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. consider azure premium files share for desktop applications which need heavy worloads, latency < 1ms, high I/O but only need 100gb size

We have a .net desktop application for exporters. and run it well in our pc and Area network. We now built a premium files share storage with 500g
    and make a share path with our local machine, we found it works become very slow. if we only open one database file and edit,update one item, it only a little slow. but when we will open,create,update many item and many files. it become very very slow. We also do it from vm machine. when we excute out desktop allpication in vm machine. it is fine. but when we link files share…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi folks,

While we have made premium file shares generally available, we agree there is ongoing performance work associated with them.

One of the big performance related items is one you touched on in the description: performance when doing activity on many files at once. Azure Files, on both premium and standard, performance best for read/write operations with few handle/metadata operations (i.e. databases) and less good for scenarios that require lots of handle and metadata operations. We are working to improve this performance category and hope to have more to share soon.

Thanks,

Will Gries

14. Attach VHD(x) to more than one VM at the same time

Attach VHD(x) to more than one VM at the same time

Having an option to attach the same VHD to a set of VMs would allow creating real HA clusters for single node applications - like databases. Storage could work just like iSCSI/FC/SAS SAN, being presented to two nodes, mounted on one. Also that would allow usage of GFS/OCFS2 filesystems to share data between cluster nodes if desired. AzureFiles suffers from every problem SMB have and is unreliable at best. The only other option is shared-nothing filesystems like moosefs/glusterfs.

as far as I know there is "Shared VHDX" functionality in…

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Unmanaged Disks Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Address the "Snowden/NSA" issues in every territory in a visible and concrete manner

Let developers and consultants configure where certain data is stored (geographically) and also verify that it is really stored in the given location and does not cross international boundaries at any time. This is important for most companies since they are bound by compliance regulations, insurance, and legal best-practices that require this granularity for particular type of data.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Azure Functions as a trusted Microsoft service in Azure Storage firewall settings

When we enable firewall in Azure Storage then Azure Function can no longer communicate to that Storage Account even if you add the Functions Outbound IP Address in the firewall settings of Azure Storage.

It would be nice if Azure Functions is added as a trusted Microsoft Service in Azure Storage firewall settings.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Storage Emulator with storage transaction counting and billing simulation.

This enhancement would help to estimate production runtime costs and catch issues like excessive queue polling during development.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/39. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

18. % Free Disk Space Monitoring

% free disk space monitoring is a critical requirement in a production environment. Currently out-of-the box, Microsoft offer a [Guest] \LogicalDisk(_Total)\% Free Space metric in the portal.
    This metric is useless when a guest machine has mutiple disks attached to it as it only provides an aggregated view of free space & the alerting only appears to work for the system volume.

We shouldn't have to use the convoluted methods of monitoring all disks using Log Analytics & OMS . The ability to monitor & alert independently on all disks attached to a guest machine should be part of the…

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enhance Azure Files / Azure File Sync to include document icons

In Azure Files (specifically with Azure File Sync), it would enhance the user experience if the document icons would show what we're used to on a File Server vs the generic icons.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add new flag to AzCopy so it would create blobs in lowercase

This will be really handy for migration to Azure of a system using NAS and switching it to blob storage - just copy files in lowercase and change system to use lowercase to access to blobs

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  AzCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base