Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide a way to encrypt or obfuscate blob names

My application stores a lot of files containing user data, where each blob is named after a corresponding primary-key in a relational database.

Currently my blob storage container is private and all requests for blobs are proxied through my web application.

To reduce server load I would like to expose the blobs directly, however this would mean exposing the raw blob name to end-users, which gives away the unencrypted database primary-key value.

I know I can prevent access to blobs using Shared Access Signatures however I don't need that kind of security - I just want to obfuscate blob names…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't charge for attached disks to VM's when the VM is stopped and deallocated

When you deallocate a VM all charging is stopped but any attached disk continues to be charged. It would be better if any attached disk were also deallocated to stop them being charged too.

At the very least the there should be a warning that disks will be charged

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. highlight how to disable Nagle's algorithm in your performance optimization MSDN articles

The MSDN article that describes Nagle's algorithm (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh697709.aspx) should highlight the performance gains from disabling Nagle's algorithm.

In our case, disabling that algorithm yielded an order of magnitude improvement in latency (from 300 to 30 ms). This is a vital piece of information that is not highlighted in performance optimization documentation for Azure.

It may even be worthwhile to consider disabling Nagle's algorithm by default, or provide some default configuration examples that remark on this algorithm.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. No CLI for FileSystem creation in Azure Storage Gen2 account type

No support with CLI for Azure Storage Gen2 account types. Limited support to automate the infrastructure as code feature.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Storage Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Storage account name web UI validation bug

On Chrome the error message "The storage account name <storageaccountname> is already taken." is erroneously displayed when an uppercase character is entered when creating a new storage account via the Azure Portal. The name is not actually taken.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. How do I add search to Azure Storage , so I can utlize it using the rest API

We are trying to build applications using asp.net; how can we enable search on blob storage or for file shares. I feel like I am disabling my customers if I can not search the content of the files I am placing into azure

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. What data protection capability is built in and what are the supported data protection solutions for Azure Storage Accounts to protect data?

What data protection capability is built in and what are the supported data protection solutions for Azure Storage Accounts to protect data?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Premium Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Starting cluster with conflict dns prefix name should get correct error response

Starting cluster with conflict dns prefix name will got error like "The storage account *** is already taken", that maybe because the dns prefix is conflict with others" . Please return a correct error response

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SSMS Crashes when using Query Store dashboards

Bug.. for instance, if you select "Regressed Queries" and then change the Configuration to show Recent: Last 2 days, and History: Last 2 weeks, while hovering or selecting different query id's, SSMS will crash, close and reopen.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support valid queue message time-to-live (expiration) values

Azure Storage Queue has supported any length of message time-to-live including infinite (-1) for almost a year now. However, both the Azure Portal and Azure Storage Explorer still restrict these values to be between 1 second and 7 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/put-message#uri-parameters

messagettl= Optional. Specifies the time-to-live interval for the message, in seconds. Prior to version 2017-07-29, the maximum time-to-live allowed is 7 days. For version 2017-07-29 or later, the maximum time-to-live can be any positive number, as well as -1 indicating that the message does not expire. If this parameter is omitted, the default time-to-live is 7 days.

Steps to Reproduce: …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Invoke-StorageSyncCloudTiering - permanent?

Concerns Cloud Tiering in Azure File Sync.

When once Invoke-StorageSyncCloudTiering executed on a folder then the folder will be further always enforced to be tiered? No matter what Cloud Tiering policy is set up for the Sync Group? And no matter if recently used / copied?

Concerns the module: "C:\Program Files\Azure\StorageSyncAgent\StorageSync.Management.ServerCmdlets.dll"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make export job available for V2 storage and for SouthCentralUS

Export currently functions only for V1 storage and USWest. Need to get operations aligned with documentation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Import/Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Include Logic Apps in the Trusted Microsoft Services for Storage Accounts

Include Logic Apps in the Trusted Microsoft Services for Storage Accounts when configuring diagnostic settings in the Logic App to "archive to a storage account". Security Center flags logic app for not having this configured but then after configuring the storage account is flagged for not restriction access, "Restrict access to storage accounts with firewall and virtual network configurations (Preview)". Since the logic app can not be assigned to a virtual network this cannot be resolved/secured properly without taking my environment in to an App Service Environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Azure storage plug in for Windows File Explorer

Create a plug in for Windows File explorer for access to Azure Storage account

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Storage Account Events: Add Container delete notification (currently only blob delete notifications are available)

You have Microsoft.Storage.BlobDeleted but thre is no "ContainerDeleted". This should be trivial to implement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Table storage on persistent memory devices.

This could enable simple data modeling even for relational data.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. handle removing a resoruce group that has backup more elegantly

if the vm that was being backed up is removed, then you can't remove the back up service, and hence can't remove the resource group.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improved Status for Azure Storage Import / Export job

The current Azure Storage Import job process does not provide the subscriber any status updates as to when the drive is received, processed or transfer to storage starts. It would be great if we could subscribe to email notification so we can track the process or at a minimum log the detail in the portal for the subscriber to see. I have little info on when the job was started and can only see "Transferring" in the portal UI. Maybe this can be included when Import / Export is enabled in the "new" portal?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Import/Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Permit changing storage redundancy even if item are registered. Now If I need to change redundancy I had to ungerister items losing backups!

Permit changing storage redundancy even if item are registered. Now If I need to change redundancy I had to ungerister items losing all backups!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide the capability in DPM backup to Azure to restore individual Exchange mailboxes

While I understand the support implications for restoring individual items to Exchange, there are competing products that offer this feature. While it still easy to restore a mailbox using DPM and some powershell - when using this with Azure Backup to restore an entire Exchange database to restore a single mailbox can be both time consuming and involve additional storage costs to be able to mount the restored DB as an availability database.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base