Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. NotModified response is missing required headers

When making an anonymous http request for a blob, if the response is "304 The condition specified using HTTP conditional header(s) is not met." the HTTP spec indicates that you should be including the same ETag in this response as was sent in the original 200 response.
    This is not the case.

RFC 7232 Section 4.1

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add support for azurite as local storage emulator to storage explorer tool

On linux the only option to emulate azure storage is the open source project azurite. Unfortunately this is not supported as local emulator for azure storage explorer. This way it is nearly impossible to develop and test storage locally. Please add support for azurite in storage explorer tool on linux.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Storage Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Deleting huge records of table storage

Approach/way to delete huge number of records at time rather than deleting block of 1000 from a table storage.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable snaphsot (Previous version) access when connected to on-prem file server that is being synced with AFS

Allow an AFS synced file server with snapshots to access snapshots without having to mount the cloud share. This will allow users to restore their own files

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make Azure File Sync RBAC aware

I've been evaluating Azure File Sync within my organization and noticed that you need to be a co-administrator on the account to deploy the Storage Sync Service. This is an adoption blocker for my organization as we would like to enable our IT staff in our branch offices around the world to deploy and manage Azure File Sync. Please make Azure File Sync RBAC-aware.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow CORS rules to be applied via ARM template

There is currently no support for CORS rules in Azure Resource Manager templates for storage accounts.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • create permission for larger files

Users are unable to upload files via CLI that are larger than 100MiB with just create permissions. As this is an API limitation, it would be helpful to either increase the block size or to create a permission that allows users to create but not overwrite for larger files.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Azure CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Firewall settings

I wish more flexible firewall settings like:

a) Allow inbound packets from Azure infractructure?
                  a-0) No.
                  a-1) Yes, all. (any)
                  a-2) Yes, but only from this and that VNET(s).

b) Allow inbound packets from the public Internet?
                  b-0) No.
                  b-1) Yes, all. (0.0.0.0/0)
                  b-2) Yes, but only from this and that IP range(s)

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Enable immediate sync after changes on the Azure file share for Azure File Sync

When I make a change on my server endpoint (Windows File Server), Azure File Sync initiates a sync session very quickly after file save, however for changes on the cloud endpoint (Azure file share), I have to wait at least 24 hours to have changes get synced down to my server endpoints.

Please invest in features to initiate a sync session immediately after changes are made cloud-side, or at least increase the interval of sync from the Azure file share.

118 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! As you mentioned, we initiate a change detection job once every 24 hours to enumerate the Azure file share and scan for changes. This is required for the Azure file share because Azure Files currently lacks a change notification mechanism like Windows Server has (we watching the USN journal on Windows Server to automatically initiate sync sessions on the server after changes are made).

Long term, we would like to build a change notification mechanism directly into Azure Files. Shorter term, we could use your feedback to understand how painful the once every 24 hours change detection is for you. Please vote and/or leave comments on this item to let us know we should invest in work to make the change detection job run more frequently/faster.

Thanks,

Will Gries
                      Program Manager, Azure Files

• SFTP (and FTPS) protocol support for Azure Files

Exposing the SFTP protocol would facilitate a bunch of scenarios where today 2 VMs (with all the management overhead that implies) are required.

1,273 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        57 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are interested in collecting feedback on this request – please vote for it if this is something you like to see.

We’re also interested in learning more what people want to use the SFTP/FTPS for and which protocol they prefer. Please feel free to leave us a comment letting us know more detail!

Thanks,

Will Gries

• Add a Sync feature to Storage Explorer

Please add a "sync" feature to Storage Explorer so I can quickly update files in blob storage when I've made updates to a copy of those files on my local filesystem.

3rd party solution CloudBerry Explorer has this feature.

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • DELETE https://myaccount.blob.core.windows.net/mycontainer?comp=list&prefix=foo

The same way I can list blobs with a certain prefix in a blob container using http-method GET I would like to issue a http DELETE on the same combination container + prefix and effectively delete all blobs matching the prefix in the container!

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We think of this ask as “range delete”, and plan to deliver it after “batch delete”. Batch delete will allow you to enumerate multiple blobs to be deleted in a single HTTP request. Batch delete is planned for the coming year, but there is not an ETA we can share for range delete. We will provide updates when they become available. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Automate domain replacement in Azure Storage Explorer link generator

Azure Storage Explorer comes with a default URL generator for all files - http(s)://<storage account>.blob.core.windows.net/<container>/<file name>.

The application also allows you to bind a custom URL to the service that takes the place of the "<storage account>.blob.core.windows.net/" section of the URL, making it http(s)://<custom domain>/<container>/<file name>.

It would be super helpful to be able to be able to update the settings to indicate a custom domain is being used so that the "Copy URL" function replaced the root domain for you.

Currently the advice received from MS is to manually replace the indicated URL segment manually, every time Storage Explorer…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Add the installation instructions for the Linux version of the Azure Storage Explorer

Add the installation instructions for the Linux version of the Azure Storage Explorer as there is no .deb file nor install.sh file. A .deb file would install straight away. If you provided an obvious file name like install.sh we might have half a chance. As usual you've ignored convention and expect people to mind read.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Azure Storage Firewalls support for Azure Site Recovery

Configure Azure Storage Firewalls and Virtual Networks (preview) function is not supported now. many of my customer wants to restrict any unexpected access to keep their resource safe. In the cloud, it is important that security is guaranteed, so we strongly request that this function can be used.

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add rsync/WAN optimization support for Azure storage

It would be amazing if the blob/files storage supported rsync semantics for incremental upload.

Scenario: I have a large file, one local copy on my mobile device and one copy in blob storage. The local copy can be modified by my app. I want to continuously synchronize the change to maintain an up-to-date copy in blob storage.

Currently I have to always upload the entire file for any changes (unless my device does local change tracking).

With rsync support my device could query blob storage for the file's rsync signature, then generate an rsync delta based on that signature and…

32 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Is Azure Storage Explorer available for all versions of linux's?

Is Azure Storage Explorer available for all versions of Linux's

As I see only for Ubuntu?. Kindly confirm

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide retention policies for Azure File Sync Snapshots

Provide retention policies for AFS snapshots.
                                      Retention policies define the time period/interval and define the total amount of snapshots retained.
                                      These amount of (retained) snapshots should be categorized in Hourly (h:00), Daily (0:00), Weekly (Sunday), Monthly (1st day of month) and are part of the retention policies.
                                      Garbage collection takes care of removing expired snapshots.

15 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Azure File Sync automatically takes share snapshots and file snapshots for internal use. We also have our own logic about when to remove these snapshots. We’re interested to know what you think about this – please vote for this item and comment below if you think we need better/different controls/reporting for this.

If what you actually want is the ability to do snapshots and have retention policies for snapshots for the purpose of Backup, please vote on this item: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217298-storage/suggestions/31827694-schedule-snapshots-of-azure-file-shares

Thanks,

Will Gries

• Please remove the dependency on storage account per each devtest lab

1. One storage account is created for each devtest lab, may be provide option to use existing storage account while creating devtest lab.

2. Please provide a ability to choose an image from Managed Images in the subscription when creating vms in devtest labs. (rather requiring to have devtest lab image)

3. Remove the requirement to copy custom .vhds into each devtest lab storage account to use them for VM deployments.

9 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Store storage account key last generated date

It would be helpful if Azure tracked the last time a storage account's keys were regenerated. This would allow us to enforce policies around key lifetimes.

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base