Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Now that you've released Managed Disks, allow us to specify IOPS

This has been requested in other forms, but now that you have Managed Disks you're most of the way there. I would like to be able to say "I want a Managed Disk using standard storage, 1TB in size, with 2500 IOPS." Then you figure out how to configure storage to deliver those IOPS without me having to stripe disks, or whatever.
    Or perhaps "I want a 1TB Managed Disk using premium storage with 15000 IOPS." Again, you figure out how to configure and provision that, so I don't have to. That would be awesome!

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow smaller premium drive sizes for VM

Currently the smallest premium disk size when creating a VM is 128 GB. We have many VM's that are used solely for computation intensive workload and large amounts of data are not stored to the operating system drive. A 64 GB option would be sufficient for the space we are using and help to reduce some of the premium storage costs.

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • A feature to enable storage diagnostics on / off when creating VM or Storage.

I have some complaints from users that they can not specify Diagnostics settings On / Off at the time they create a storage account.

When users create a new storage account, the storage account diagnostics is enabled by default and billing for storage analytics tables occurs because those tables are created automatically. Moreover users can’t notice those table storage being charged during usage if they are not familiar. Please add a feature to allow users to specify storage diagnostics On / Off when creating a storage account.

14 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Increase the number of attached Disks per Core

Please allow attaching more disks per core, or increase the max size of disk (1TB by default) without forcing upgrading the VM instance.
          For my project I use A1 Standard VM instance and CPU/memory is sufficient for my project, but it needs more storage (up to 10TB).
          I can't attach more disks without spending more on CPU/memory that my project doesn't require.
          I think, we should be charged for capacities/storage we really use and not for what we're forced to use!
          Please support it!

13 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Customer Managed SSE Keys for Managed Disk

Please provide the capability of using Customer Managed Keys for Storage Service Encryption (SSE). This is required for customers who need the ability to manage keys but seek to leverage the scalability and manageability advantages of Managed Disk.

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • allow snapshot multiple managed disks at the same point in time

We have database linux vm with multiple premium managed disks. We have software raid on top of these disks inside the Linux guest vm. We need a way to take snapshots of these multiple managed disks at the same point in time coordinated at Azure storage level so all the writes are captured at the exact same point in time across all disks.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Provide scheduled backup capability for Azure Managed Disks

Please backup and copy OS disk only by schedule with portal (not AzCopy Command). I would like to back up OS disk only. Currently Azure image capture and back up service take snapshot and backup by VM unit. AzCopy makes it to copy OS disk only. For me, AzCopy takes much time. Please make it much easier, I mean operation from management portal would be much preferred.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • encrypt backup of managed disks

We have managed disks encrypted at rest with SSE, but the backups to recovery vault of those VMs are not encrypted at rest. This is a security issue for us.

A native feature for this would be great to get rid of the workaround to encrypt those with external tools (BitLocker, dm-crypt,..)

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Provision Managed OS Disks without VM Shell from Generalized Image

Currently, the only way to create an OS Disk from a generalized image is by creating it at the same time as a VM shell.

The ability to spin up Managed Disks without attaching them to a VM from a generalized image would be incredibly useful and allow for dynamic resizing of disks via ARM templates without affecting the VM itself.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Mananged disk export directly to storageaccount instead of creating URL

It is not yet supported to directly migrate a managed VM from one subscription to another.
                        It would be nice to have export directly to a storage account instead of creating an URL.
                        It will just make migration so much easier and more secure, than having an URL, that is public accessable..
                        kind regards
                        Asger

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base