Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for HTTPS endpoints to Azure Storage Emulator

The Azure storage emulator doesn't support HTTPS endpoints. That means that when we develop locally under SSL, we either have mixed content warnings or get broken links.

"Note that the storage emulator supports connection via HTTP only. However, HTTPS is the recommended protocol for accessing resources in an Azure production storage account."
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-configure-connection-string/

127 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/38. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Support multiple storage accounts in Azure Storage Emulator

The Azure Storage Emulator only supports a single fixed account (devstoreaccount1).

This makes integration testing and development on the same machine a pain, as we would like to be able to clear the integration testing account entirely before and after each test sequence, without removing development data.

The connection string to the new account could use the extended syntax (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-use-emulator#authenticating-requests-against-the-storage-emulator - not "UseDevelopmentStorage=true"), with the same account key but a different account name, and if need be, different ports for blob/table/queue endpoints.

81 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/40. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Storage Emulator with storage transaction counting and billing simulation.

This enhancement would help to estimate production runtime costs and catch issues like excessive queue polling during development.

64 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/39. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Changing the maximum URL length for the development storage emulator REST api

I'm making a request to the local storage which is over 300 characters in length. (Pretend this request is over 300 characters)

http://127.0.0.1:10002/devstoreaccount1/MyTableName(PartitionKey='MyReallyLongPartitionKey',RowKey='MyReallyLongRowKey')

I receive the following error message:

Bad Request - Invalid URL
          HTTP Error 400. The request URL is invalid.

Now, if I shorten the keys for a total length of 300 for the URL, I receive the ResourceNotFound error, which is fine, of course, as there is no such entity.

Obviously, it's allowable to have valid PartitionKeys and RowKeys queries exceeding the length of 300.

Is there any way to change the maximum URL length that the…

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Cool and Archive tiers for Page Blobs and managed disks

I need to keep an archive of VHD files for old Virtual Machines which are currently unused, but may be needed in the future. I would like to use the Archive tier for this, I can wait a few hours if the Virtual Machines are ever needed again.

I see in Azure Storage explorer that changing tiers is supported for Block Blobs, but not Page Blobs. It should also be supported for Page Blobs. Also, newer VMs use Managed Disks, so this should be supported for managed disks too.

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Implement a check for version compatibility between Emulator and WindowsAzure.Storage library

Implement a check for version compatibility between Emulator and WindowsAzure.Storage library.

When there is an update of WindowsAzure.Storage nuget package and I update it I frequently start getting 400 Bad request from the library.

The last time was just calling container..CreateIfNotExists(BlobContainerPublicAccessType.Off);

Then I spent an hour investigating the strange behavior until I tried to install the latest Emulator. Then the exception disappeared.

This type of exception has come to me again and again for the last 4 years.

My humble request if anybody from Microsoft Azure Storage Emulator team sees this - Please add a check for development mode and…

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Support latest rest version in Azure Storage Emulator

Currently you cannot use the latest Azure Storage Emulator (5.2) with the latest Storage Client Library (8.3.0) because the SCL supports '2016-05-31 REST version' and ASE doesn't.

You will receive the error 'Invalid storage account 'devstoreaccount1'. Please make sure your credentials are correct.' if you try and connect to it.

It is suggested by others to downgrade to SCL 7.2.1, but that is a no go if you happen to be using .NET Standard 1.4 in your project.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Fix Azure Storage Emulator security issue by enabling a custom or random storage key

We are not allowed to provide the storage emulator to our developers because of the security issues of its design!

Possible to have a custom storage key for devstoreaccount1 (or a randomly created one) via e.g. "AzureStorageEmulator newKey"?

Current implementation is a security issue because a) it is a default password, which against almost all compliance frameworks, b) you are storing it hardcoded in cleartext in the configuration file.

The hashed form (preferably via SHA256 or SHA512) can then be stored on local file system instead of the cleartext one. (a good idea could be using SHA512CryptoServiceProvider for preventing errors…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Fix NullReference exception when user signs out in Windows and emulator is running

When Emulator is running on Windows 10 and then I sign out I see the exception (NullReferenceException) over signing out screen.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Provide a warning before any apps including VS2017 upgrades wipe out your azure storage emulator data and structure

I'd like to be able to work on my Azure storage design in a dev environment without a sudden requirement to upgrade my VS2017 that also decides to wipe out my Azure storage emulator environment. The only way to get it back seems to be a complex revert and manual steps. It's quicker to spend 30 mins to re-create the table structures.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Ensure enabling Azure Storage Emulator debug log does not cause it to crash

If the Azure Storage Emulator is installed on the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system and started, it terminates unexpectedly after a period of time, if the following config directive, is set within the "<root:\<user name>\AppData\Local\AzureStorageEmulator\AzureStorageEmulator.5.5.config" file (see attachment):

<LoggingEnabled>true</LoggingEnabled>

The status message "The storage emulator was successfully started." is never displayed (see attachment).

I switched this capability on hoping it would assist with debugging a connection issue.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base