Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ACL's for AzureFiles

I've started experimenting with Azure Files. One of the features I'm lacking is the fact that you cannot give access to Folders/Files on AzureFiles based on Active Directory credentials. If you setup a typical fileshare one would like to be able to grant/revoke access to folders and files based on information of users in AD.

2,922 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    121 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

We have shipped a public preview of integration with AAD DS: https://azure.microsoft.com/blog/azure-active-directory-integration-for-smb-access-now-in-public-preview/

What we have in preview is a first step along a much larger roadmap for integration with AAD/AD for authentication and authorization. As the blog post says, this initial preview is really about Windows cloud VM access to the Azure file share with an AAD identity. Future refreshes to this feature will add non-Windows (Linux, macOS, etc) support, and the ability to mount the Azure file shares on-premises with your AAD identity. You can learn more about this in our Ignite session as well (at around 22:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMzh2M66E9o

We’ll keep you updated on our progress. In the meantime, don’t hesitate to continue posting feedback on this feature below.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

2. Global File Locking for Azure File Sync

For Azure File Sync on multiple geographically diverse servers, lock files across the enterprise to eliminate conflicts.

For example, a user in Chicago opens a spreadsheet on a local server, and that server is running Azure File Sync to a share that is also mounted by a server in Atlanta also running Azure File Sync. The file lock for the spreadsheet should be global, preventing write access in Atlanta when opened in Chicago.

See Panzura.com for reference.

893 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Files - Access/Size Limits

Azure Files - Access/Size Limits

Please provide access to the Azure Files service from on-prem. users/devices over 2S2 VPN/ExpressRoute connection.

Also, 5TB size limit is a deal breaker for many organizations. They need to scale higher. Although a workaround would be to provision a different storage account when the size limit is hit.

216 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  11 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide an actual "read-only" role for Azure File Service

The reader role available in RBAC doesn't really do what you think it'd do when applied to Azure File Service. A user with this role can't even see the Azure File Service when browsing the storage account.

As I understand it this is by design as the reader role works on Azure objects and not on files and folders.

What I need is a method that prevents users from accidentally deleting files or folders by giving them read-only access to the actual files and folders. I don't need fine grained control over access to files and folders, just a straightforward…

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this feedback!

We’re working on or have shipped several features that we think will satisfy this request.

First, we have shipped the share snapshot feature, which enables you to protect a point-in-time for a file share. If a user were to delete a file, you can restore from the previous snapshot. To make this easier, Azure Backup will soon support scheduling share snapshot.

Second, and more to the specific ask in the initial post, we are working on AAD authentication and authorization for Azure file shares. When we ship this feature, you will have the ability to set share ACLs that prevent deletes or modifications.

Thanks,

Will Gries

5. Appliance for Azure File Sync

I want to use Azure File Sync on easy/small server.
    no-RAID, less-storage, less-price, less-install, less ITpro,
    and order at Online store, or order at PC shop,
    and starting Azure Files within few minutes.

I hope a appliance for using Azure Files Storage with Azure File Sync.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

I have this update marked as “started” as we have 100 TiB available through premium and through limited regions for standard (see public announcement of this coming soon – should already be available).

For File Sync, we test with number of items (files/directories), as we don’t really care about file share size (it doesn’t affect the performance of sync – just upload/download). With v7, our current tested threshold (not a hard limit) is 50 million objects. This was done on ~20 TiB shares, but you should be able to go larger without issue.

We plan to continue to scale up this tested threshold with future versions of the agent as we continue to test.

Thanks,

Will Gries

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base