Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Azure File Sync RBAC aware

I've been evaluating Azure File Sync within my organization and noticed that you need to be a co-administrator on the account to deploy the Storage Sync Service. This is an adoption blocker for my organization as we would like to enable our IT staff in our branch offices around the world to deploy and manage Azure File Sync. Please make Azure File Sync RBAC-aware.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure File Sync on resubmission of same file name

I'd have expected Azure File Sync to ignore syncing a file that's already been copied from a server to Azure Files, but if I upload a file with the same file name, but different content (e.g. corrections to that content), File Sync still ignores it, I'd have expected the content hash to determine whether to sync not file name?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Azure Files SMB for MAC OSX

To make the MAC OSX customers adopt Azure, I strongly suggest Microsoft to create the following features by the end of 2021:

1. Azure Files SMB components for MAC OSX, so users can easily access company files by smb:// path

2. Azure VPN Client for MAC OSX with AAD authentication, another crucial feature for Apple users.

These 2 features prevent us from migration a lot of customers, I sincerely think this will provide Microsoft with even more long term growth.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Update Azure File Share (and other Azure services such as Azure Data Factory) to use encryption algorithms that are FIPS compliant

There are many organizations (specifically those in the government) that requires their systems to be FIPS compliant. Azure File Share cannot be mounted on a Linux VM where FIPS is enabled. Azure Data Factory cannot communicate with a Self Hosted Integration Runtime running on a Windows VM where the FIPS policy is enabled. These policies on the Operating System basically enforces that communication with the server uses FIPS compliant encryption algorithms.

Currently there are no work-arounds for these issues except to disable FIPS on the servers that need to communicate with these services. For organizations that require compliance with FIPS,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow sync of only files to be cloud tiered

Rather than a sync of all the files and folders in a given path it would be handy to have an option for it ONLY sync files that are marked for cloud tiering - effectively making this an archiving solution.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Append to the end of file content stored in Azure Files using REST API

Append to the end of file content stored in Azure Files using REST API

I propose a function that can be added to the end of the file content stored in Azure File Storage using REST API.

I have confirmed the following document, but they have modified the contents of the existing files and did not append them.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. sharepoint

We have two ways to access Sharepoint document libraries. OneDrive Sync and Sharepoint Browser. Both have limitations, and it would be great to have Azure files work with Sharepoint document libraries. Especially for our on premises file servers, which we are in process of migrating to Sharepoint. Because when we map a drive letter in Windows PC to a sharepoint webdav UNC the mapping fails after a couple weeks. And we have to log back into Sharepoint, click open with explorer browser. Only after that does the mapped drive work again as a new session gets created that lasts couple…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow replication of storage accounts with large fileshares

Once the option for enabling large file shares is enabled on the storage account, you no longer can select any replication other than LRS. I have our critical business shares in Azure and they are stuck in region! I can't address any DR for them. Please allow replication for these storage accounts.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Prevent files to be viewed from azure portal

The files present in the Azure File share can be easily viewed by simply logging in to the Azure portal. there should be some mechanism by which the data/files present on the Azure file share should be visible in an encrypted format and for downloading the data it should ask for a decryption key or some kind of authentication.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Read/Write access logs with respect to Files in Azure Portal Diagnostic settings

There are hour and minute metrics for API and stuff but like in Blob/Table/Queue, there are no Read/Write access logs with respect to Files in Azure Portal Diagnostic settings. Please bring this up soon. Please provide an ETA on this as it looks to be underway.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Azure File Sync Can't sync the File Share's sharing property

I am using Azure File Sync to create a DR environment between the on-premises file server and Azure file server, the azure files Sync services can sync the folders' NTFS but can't sync the sharing property. So when my on-premises file server goes down, I have to set the folders' sharing property again at the azure file server. I think Azure File Sync team should upload this issue. Thanks

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Azure File Sync support long pathnames

Add support for long pathnames in Azure File Sync.

The 255 max character limit is exceeded when transitioning from on-prem shares that were already at that limit, as we typically add some characters for the folder name that holds the sync endpoint.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Azure File Sync support long pathnames

Add support for long pathnames in Azure File Sync.

The 255 max character limit is exceeded when transitioning from on-prem shares that were already at that limit, as we typically add some characters for the folder name that holds the sync endpoint.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Issue/Bug: Last modifies date of folder is not updated during sync.

We have a folder structure in azure file share. The last modified date of folders are not reflecting correctly. When new files are copied the folder date still shows as old.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can we have the read-write access of Azure File in multi region?

We created the Azure File on region West US since we have the requests from there. But we also need to connect the data from China.

Due to the block of network, we can not mount the Azure File in China directly. And we can not found any possibility of read-write access region redundancy (or data sync).

There must be some kind of solution for this common situation.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. The ability to lock folder so their content is not tiered

It would be useful if you could lock a folder so that the content residing within the folder is excluded from cloud tiering. This would be similar to the OneDrive feature where you can opt to "always keep on this device". However, I would imagine for the AFS it would be a PowerShell that would be managed by IT rather than at the end user level.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to sync changes immediately using Azure File Sync without closing the file

We currently have 2 servers (1 remote, 1 branch) that's syncing using AFS agent.

At the moment, every time we change a file (whether it's a dwg or any MS office files) the changes will not sync automatically because the file is in use (error code 0x80c80018). We need to close the file, wait for it to sync to other site, and then that's the only time that we can open and modify the file again. Sometimes the file size is to big that it takes us few minutes to just close and open it again.

We know that this…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. FileSyncErrorsReport.ps1 not checking current logs

FileSyncErrorsReport.ps1 is checking for log files with %4 in their name:

Microsoft-FileSync-Agent%4ItemResults.evtx
    Microsoft-FileSync-Agent%4ItemResults.evtx

These log files are not currently being updated in any of our Windows Server 2019 VMs.

Instead, the correct, updated log files are:

Microsoft-FileSync-AgentItemResults.evtx
    Microsoft-FileSync-AgentItemResults.evtx

Without modifying the FileSyncErrorsReport.ps1 file, we do not receive the correct troubleshooting information.

We are using the most up-to-date agent (at this time of writing) 11.1.0.0

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Increase frequency of fileshare sync from Azure to endpoint.

Currently the sync down is set to 24 hours. this needs to be either triggerable or increased significantly for any kind of work to be done to the files.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Files longer than 6 months

Hello,
    I think it would be interesting to have some tool that we can sync with Azure, just files that exist in our local file systems longer than 6 months.
    So this synchronization would copy to the cloud those files that were not accessed for more than 6 months and leave it as if it were a "shortcut" on the local file server, then when the user clicks on that shortcut, the file server automatically downloads that file directly from Microsoft Azure and leaves it stored locally for another 6 months until you copy to azure again.
    It's like it's…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base