How can we improve Azure Storage?

Azure Files - Access/Size Limits

Azure Files - Access/Size Limits

Please provide access to the Azure Files service from on-prem. users/devices over 2S2 VPN/ExpressRoute connection.

Also, 5TB size limit is a deal breaker for many organizations. They need to scale higher. Although a workaround would be to provision a different storage account when the size limit is hit.

216 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jon Sykes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jake Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft Azure Storage Team.
    We migrated to Azure File Sync, and now really have a problem on our hands with the 5TiB limitation. Is there any update on when this will be upped to 100TiB?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISP's blocking 445 make this a no go for our distributed offices, though, it would be a great solution.

• Toma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The actual problem is that many ISPs block port 445 for unknown reasons (probably some silly admin heard it is dangerous). I do not completely support the suggested solution of using VPN as this adds to the overall cost of the file share. But in any case will allow access in a cheaper way than provisioning a VM as VPN server

• Eric McStravick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping this gets some traction at some point. Already have S2S setup, but port 445 is blocked by my ISP, so connecting my backup software (Altaro) to Azure File Storage is not an option currently. It would be nice if we could connect via a different port or over VPN to avoid this issue.

• Omar Ramos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 5 TB limit is also a deal breaker for us I would think (we're already backing up locally to a storage system that has 20 TB available...if Azure Files supported the ability to scale to higher numbers, we could simply create one share in Azure mount it locally, and switch our backup program (Altaro) to start saving backups to it pretty much immediately. With the smaller limit I guess we'd have to create multiple shares and mount each of those to the server and then split the backups in some way? I'm not really sure yet.

• Michael Thorstensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also when you want to use the CloudBerry disk mount tool. You get 128TB but unfortunately the file size is limitted to 200 GB.

I really see the potiential in opening this feature - I do have alot of customers queries for this, because they use it for theier off site backup with VEEAM backup and Replication.

Feedback and Knowledge Base