How can we improve Azure Storage?

Azure Control Panel functionality for snapshots or incremental backup

I know that data is replicated but that doesn't protect against logical errors, accidental removal by admin or hacker screwing up the data.

So I really would like to see this done natively from Azure instead of building my own backup systems like these:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2010/04/30/protecting-your-blobs-against-application-errors.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2010/05/03/protecting-your-tables-against-application-errors.aspx

1,045 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Antti Makkonen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We view this ask as a set of related features.

Soft delete for blobs enables you to save and recover your data where blobs or blob snapshots are deleted. It does not protect against container or account deletion. This feature is currently generally available. You can see the announcement here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/soft-delete-for-azure-storage-blobs-ga/ and the full documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-soft-delete

Object versioning will also offer object-level protection, and will offer a few incremental improvements to soft delete. Specifically, it will make recovery of deleted data easier. This feature is planned for the coming year.

Container soft delete will protect against container-level deletion and modification. This feature is planned for the coming year as well.

Native support for blob backup will protect against account-level deletion and modification, and is currently on our backlog.

We will provide updates when they become available. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AWS has snapshot backups on their storage. I'm not sure why Azure is lagging here. This is a huge oversight and liability.

• Keith Holloway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me add my voice to the chorus. At present, I have cobbled together my own backup solution that snapshots table and blob store. You can read about it here:

http://www.eastfive.com/2016/03/01/automated-backup-of-azure-storage-tables-and-blobs/

I would much prefer that this be supported natively in Azure. To be able to set a service to snapshot at a user-defined frequency and then restore would be very useful.

• Monne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this solution cover only block blobs or append blobs as well? And what about table storage?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should cover table storage and whatever backup option is planned, it should be able to survive a storage account delete.

Recovery vault enables snapshots on VMs why can't it include storage backup, too?

• Hovard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really missing integrated (Azure portal) storage backup functionality. As previous posters are saying; I find it very strange that there is not much interest around this topic.

• Simon Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also want a much better backup story. There are regulatory and policy requirements that organisations retain daily, weekly and monthly backups of files and there needs to be a native approach for this within Azure storage.

• thvuong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly. I posed that to support and they send me links to .Net code and some third party copy solutions which does not seem could handle a storage account that is 11 TB plus to back up.

Lack of backups for your Storage accounts is quite disappointment. If Microsoft wants enterprises to move their infrastructure to the Cloud, the absence of backup tools without coding is essentially a non starter for some workloads. Replication to multiple datacenters is great for High Availability but does nothing for encrypted files due to ransomware or inadvertent human errors and a need to restore from a previous backup is not available. This is usually available for on premise infrastructure.

For on premise storage, one usually have snapshots of their storage to backup devices of the like (Netapp, Compellent, EMC) etc. The lack of these features on Azure storage does not lend a good argument to move storage to the cloud.

• thvuong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of backups for your Storage accounts is quite disappointment. If Microsoft wants enterprises to move their infrastructure to the Cloud, the absence of backup tools without coding is essentially a non starter for some workloads. Replication to multiple datacenters is great for High Availability but does nothing for encrypted files due to ransomware or inadvertent human errors and a need to restore from a previous backup is not available. This is usually available for on premise infrastructure.

For on premise storage, one usually have snapshots of their storage to backup devices of the like (Netapp, Compellent, EMC) etc. The lack of these features on Azure storage does not lend a good argument to move storage to the cloud.

• Oliver Hamou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah , please add back up on 14days like Sql Azure ! , to restore if a user delete by error.

thanks

• Michel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this possible, and strait-forward, for both Table and Blob.

The backups should be possible to be stored onto a second Subscription Account, just in case...

• Michel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide a way to automate Table and Blob backup into another account.

• Oliver Hamou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's important to get an option on Azure Storage , to backup all container in other accountstorage, if the user delete file.

Redondance is not a backup

• Tolbin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that it would be a great feature if Azure provided the ability to backup a storage account from 1 to another. Though I know Azure offer native resilience through replication, this does not provide protection from accidental deletion

• Bassem Mohsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come this request is 2 years old and it does not seem to be getting much interest? You people do not need to backup your data?!!!

• Bassem Mohsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if all the data in the storage account can be periodically uploaded to an FTP server. I prefer to keep some backups outside Azure in case something goes wrong with the Azure subscription.

• Nitramafve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to correct previous incorrect information form other posters: This is not yet implemented. The snapshot functionality will not actually address the issues referenced in the original post, such as an hacker screwing up the data or accidental removal by admin. Even if you create snapshots, an administrator can delete the container or the account without any errors. A hacker can of course also do this. The snapshot functionality can be seen as a light-weight versioning system, not as a form of backup.

• John Garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the interest here - had a colleague call me to ask about how to handle Table data loss - they were working on in VS and didn't realize that the solution had gotten checked in with the connection string pointed to actual storage instead of local dev storage. It wasn't a hardware issue, and they should have had either a vendor-provided or self-wired backup solution in place, but isn't one of the Azure "tenets" the idea of minimizing worry related to infrastructure?

• Kravtsov Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The strange thing is that this very usefull feature is available for blobs only. But there are also tables that have to be backed up. Today the backup of 1 table with million records takes not less than 8 hours. This is because you've got to read and then update/insert records via table service that's to slow.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base