How can we improve Azure Storage?

Azure Control Panel functionality for snapshots or incremental backup

I know that data is replicated but that doesn't protect against logical errors, accidental removal by admin or hacker screwing up the data.

So I really would like to see this done natively from Azure instead of building my own backup systems like these:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2010/04/30/protecting-your-blobs-against-application-errors.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2010/05/03/protecting-your-tables-against-application-errors.aspx

929 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Antti Makkonen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our apologies for not updating this ask earlier. We view this ask as a set of related features. Soft delete and automatic snapshots will help protect against accidental deletions and overwrites. Write Once Read Many (WORM) will disable modification (by anyone, including administrators and hackers) for a specified period of time.

This work is planned for the coming year, and we will be delivering it in multiple phases. As soon as we have progress to share, we will do so. We will continue to provide updates at least once per quarter. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Keith Holloway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me add my voice to the chorus. At present, I have cobbled together my own backup solution that snapshots table and blob store. You can read about it here:

http://www.eastfive.com/2016/03/01/automated-backup-of-azure-storage-tables-and-blobs/

I would much prefer that this be supported natively in Azure. To be able to set a service to snapshot at a user-defined frequency and then restore would be very useful.

• Monne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this solution cover only block blobs or append blobs as well? And what about table storage?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should cover table storage and whatever backup option is planned, it should be able to survive a storage account delete.

Recovery vault enables snapshots on VMs why can't it include storage backup, too?

• Hovard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really missing integrated (Azure portal) storage backup functionality. As previous posters are saying; I find it very strange that there is not much interest around this topic.

• Oliver Hamou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah , please add back up on 14days like Sql Azure ! , to restore if a user delete by error.

thanks

• Michel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this possible, and strait-forward, for both Table and Blob.

The backups should be possible to be stored onto a second Subscription Account, just in case...

• Bassem Mohsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come this request is 2 years old and it does not seem to be getting much interest? You people do not need to backup your data?!!!

• Bassem Mohsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if all the data in the storage account can be periodically uploaded to an FTP server. I prefer to keep some backups outside Azure in case something goes wrong with the Azure subscription.

• Nitramafve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to correct previous incorrect information form other posters: This is not yet implemented. The snapshot functionality will not actually address the issues referenced in the original post, such as an hacker screwing up the data or accidental removal by admin. Even if you create snapshots, an administrator can delete the container or the account without any errors. A hacker can of course also do this. The snapshot functionality can be seen as a light-weight versioning system, not as a form of backup.

• John Garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the interest here - had a colleague call me to ask about how to handle Table data loss - they were working on in VS and didn't realize that the solution had gotten checked in with the connection string pointed to actual storage instead of local dev storage. It wasn't a hardware issue, and they should have had either a vendor-provided or self-wired backup solution in place, but isn't one of the Azure "tenets" the idea of minimizing worry related to infrastructure?

• Kravtsov Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The strange thing is that this very usefull feature is available for blobs only. But there are also tables that have to be backed up. Today the backup of 1 table with million records takes not less than 8 hours. This is because you've got to read and then update/insert records via table service that's to slow.

• kevinsbennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We offer a testing environment for our cloud users to preview a new version before we release it. This is an important part of our release process.

Right now our biggest pain point is setting up the testing environment such that the customers doing the testing have access to their real data. It would save us alot of effort if we had the ability to copy a whole storage account to a new one, or backup to a new one. Whatever you want to call it, we need it!

• Antti Makkonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to point out that I really am not worried about hardware failures here. I know that those are handled pretty well in Azure already.

One of my concerns is that admin pressed delete service and answers yes to confirm question...

Feedback and Knowledge Base