How can we improve Azure Storage?

Enable multiple custom domains for storage accounts

I would like to register 2 or more custom domains to point to 1 storage account.

For example, foo.com, bar.com both point to blob.etc.windows.net

219 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jonathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the challenges this would help to address is uniform performance for all target users.

As an example, certain CDNs may provide better bandwidth and/or response times for known regions for providers. Being able to simply use the better suited CDN in these scenarios would provide a superior user experience.

This could also serve as an escape hatch should a caching mistake be made. Allowing a zero downtime fix for a problem that could otherwise prove extremely difficult to address.

• Gavin Harriss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At present it's possible to only map a single CNAME record to blob storage. It would be useful to map multiple CNAME records.

There is a work-around if you don't mind spending the extra money though: Create an Azure CDN for the storage and then map multiple CNAME records to the CDN instead.

• Radoslav Ivanov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important and needed feature.

Just two Real World scenarios:

1. HA - When I use CDN, I need more of one CNAME record pointed to the BLOB storage - if the First CDN no respond, fallback with Second/N one.

2. Performance - The limit in browsers like Chrome, Firefox and IE is 6 concurrent downloads from the same domain/subdomain. 30 is the global max concurrent connections of most modern browsers, and this equals 5 hostnames times 6 connections per host. If I can point 5 CDN CNAME records to One BLOB storage I can get maximum download parallelism for my site.

I encourage all users to vote for this multi-domains proposal, because this is important and cost Nothing to Azure to add it.

I really hope someone from Azure Team read this and really implement it in production ASAP.

• Andreas Breitschopp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be really a useful feature!

It's also possible to have different domains pointing to a website deployment - why not also to storage accounts?

Feedback and Knowledge Base