How can we improve Azure Storage?

AzCopy should support /MIR option like robocopy

I would like the performance of AzCopy and the functionality of robocopy /MIR which will incrementally copy a local folder to Azure block blobs including deleting blobs that no longer exist in the local folder. The scenario is wanting to one-way sync a local directory with a blob container. The reverse would also be helpful of one-way synchronizing block blobs to a local directory. Currently I don't believe AzCopy can delete files from the destination.

349 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Greg Galloway shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Thomas Maurer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi we need this also to work from blob to blob and not just from local to blob :)
    Any comments when this will be available in the preview?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AzCopy is a command-line utility designed for copying data to/from Microsoft Azure Blob, File, and Table storage, using simple commands designed for optimal performance. You can copy data between a file system and a storage account, or between storage accounts....i currentlu use gs rich copy 360 which able to natively have data stores in Azure as either a source or a destination. Any unique functionality of AzCopy should just be ported to Robocopy

• Nisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make Robocopy Azure aware and you can scrap AzCopy.

Robocopy should be able to natively have data stores in Azure as either a source or a destination. Any unique functionality of AzCopy should just be ported to Robocopy.

• Nikola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very valuable must have feature, has there been any update on this request?

• bdcoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed -- it would make doing backups from one storage account to another painless --I am relatively new to Azure storage and have just moved over 300,000 files to blob storage and cannot find ANY MS utility that can keep my source account in sync with a backup account.

• RSMITH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would go one further: Just add azure support to robocopy. Let us use a single tool for local, "owned", and cloud file movement.

Feedback and Knowledge Base