How can we improve Azure Storage?

Static website hosting in Azure blob storage

This would require supporting default file to render and somekind of redirect from root to a particular container.

1,420 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Abhay SAbhay S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our apologies for not updating this ask earlier. Static websites is on our backlog. This feature will include more detailed error messages as well as support for a default Storage Blob. As soon as we have updates to share on Static Websites we will do so. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mattmazzolamattmazzola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also interested in the feature. Please send update on progress as soon as possible.

Is there a recommended work-around to at least appease us until the feature is implemented?

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can realize this with Azure Functions Proxies that route to the blob storage.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Static websites is on our backlog" up to now I am waiting 7 years for default object and 404Error return custom object when not exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
        HOW LONG?
        I have 14 years until I got my pension.
        Hope I do one project with Azure, I have already with Rackspace and Amazon

• Darrell EnnsDarrell Enns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does this need to depend on custom SSL domain support? Even without SSL, it would still allow serving unencrypted content, serving https using the azure domain name, or serving HTTPS with custom domain names by chaining it through CDN.

• FreeFree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was happy to see that https is supported by default (unlike AWS), but less happy to see that I cannot even set a default page (well... also unlike AWS).

If you're not planning to implement this in the next few months, please do provide at least an explanation or a workaround to all the frustrated people here.

• Steffen GammelgårdSteffen Gammelgård commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is simply a necessary feature for costeffective hosting of singlepage applications. unless ofcourse we like **** routes like [blobaddress]/index.html/#/[Something]/[SomethingElse]

Considering it's there in Google Cloud Storage AND Amazon AWS S3 it should make sense to make it here too.

I did in fact look into altertative ways to get the functionality (through a CDN) but no luck.
        I guess there is no problem in hosting the singlepage application from Amazon or Google with a backend somewhere in Azure, but it just shouldn't be necessary

• RobertoRoberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, nothing yet? I don't believe, I'm going to move my blobs to Google Cloud.

• Nathan EvansNathan Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just asking again - when is this going to be added? Becoming unacceptable now. It is standard functionality of basically any HTTP document server since what 1994? Shall I open a priority support case since this is arguably a bug in Azure really?

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear mother of god. Welcome to people begging for something obvious, simple, should-have-been-there-from-the-beginning, now for S I X Y E A R S.

That's Microsoft.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base