How can we improve Azure Storage?

ACL's for AzureFiles

I've started experimenting with Azure Files. One of the features I'm lacking is the fact that you cannot give access to Folders/Files on AzureFiles based on Active Directory credentials. If you setup a typical fileshare one would like to be able to grant/revoke access to folders and files based on information of users in AD.

2,382 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

103 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking for the same as everyone else. Would love to use Azure File Share/SMB but we can't have our data sitting out on the internet where anyone with the correct key can access/download it and where we need to distribute said key to anyone who needs to interact with these files (disgruntled employees ripping off data anyone?). Either we need access restricted by ACLs and AD users or be able to restrict access to only our vnet.

Please add support for source IP restrictions - SMB is still exposed to zero-day vulnerabilities

• Ken Yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you add IP Restrictions to Azure File Storage to prevent all connections except a white list of addresses?

I'm aware of SAS Tokens, but this does not meet the requirement, as we want to use Azure File Storage as a generic File Share and not have to code anything to use it.

One of the changes we are evaluating for our app is how to get off of the IaaS fileshare model we currently use, and move to a PaaS model. In a perfect world, we would like to use Azure File Services, however, they do not support ACLs at this time, and we need to be able to leverage this.

• Kimev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on when you might get this implemented? I have 50+ shares I would love to move, but need ACLs enabled.

This is desperately required in order to allow us to remain cloud-based only. I don't really want to use on-prem AD when Azure AD does such a good job.

• Justin Mirsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an ETA on being able to integrate Azure AD into the authentication for Azure File Shares? This is the last component we need to be able to fully move customers from on premise to 100% cloud based services. We cannot allow all users to have the same access level to file shares, we need to be able to apply permissions at share/directory levels.

• Ankush Chouhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to have User authentication with Azure file share. this will help us to minimize lot of workload.

• Gerald Wiltse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you share any information about the target use cases? For example, is there any chance of bringing azure files into the user space with a sync client?

• Lukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are building File Share on a client and need this feature to restrict access on the different File Shares. Otherwise for each access group a dedicated Storage Account needs to be created. Due to security standards, we cannot have two business critical applications sharing the same access keys and the only way to mitigate that is to create individual Storage Accounts.

• Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature to ensure that when an employee leaves, they no longer have access to storage accounts.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

posted almost 2 years ago.... how is this not a priority ?

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without ACL for Azure fileshares I can't use this for any kind of solution really, which is a shame because it's almost there.

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also using Azure Files with Azure RemoteApp and are in need of ACL support.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using Azure Files with Azure RemoteApp and we would really like to see ACL support so we can make better use of the storage without having to create individual storage accounts to isolate data

Feedback and Knowledge Base