How can we improve Azure Storage?

ACL's for AzureFiles

I've started experimenting with Azure Files. One of the features I'm lacking is the fact that you cannot give access to Folders/Files on AzureFiles based on Active Directory credentials. If you setup a typical fileshare one would like to be able to grant/revoke access to folders and files based on information of users in AD.

1,655 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian Edgar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any more information on a date for release yet? Without this feature several of my customers won't go near Azure file shares. Wasted revenue opportunities.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting for this core feature for Azure file hosting - a key part of any security strategy.

"Azure File Sync is an effective stop-gap option until full support for Active Directory-based authentication and ACL support arrives."

• Gary Bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on when this might become available?
        Last update from MS is June 25 2015 it's on the backlog.

• Jonathan PREVOT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now Azure Active Directory is perfectly launch can we hope this feature will be really planned? It's a very important and interesting for most of our customers.

• Ravi Patil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have so many customers looking for storage with user access policies. Following features required. File versioning, file modifying/deletion logs (Ex: which user modified files).

• Scott M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep.. Move it up! AD integration should have been on the top of the list. If I cannot assign permissions to files and directories in a file storage resource using AD credentials. The resource is useless.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

763 votes and this has been open for approx 3.5 years.

Can we have a "real" update on this ? i.e. 3.5 year delay seems like its not going to happen and the current status of "planned" is not correct.

• tim D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would highly recommend that Microsoft raise the priority of this functionality. This is very much preventing us from furthering our research into using Azure active directory. Without proper and adult access controls on file shares, this is not even a remotely viable option. Meaning migrating from premise active directory to AAD is a non-starter until we begin to see proper security controls, patch management and access controls on files.

• Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something our organization needs. I hope is a feature that gets added soon!

• JG-03 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Storage becomes useless without AD integration. AWS can do it, why can't you Microsoft, why can't you?!?!?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to use file storage as on-pre file server.
        Please give file storage much more flexible access control.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base