How can we improve Azure Storage?

Provide me with full text search on table storage

Does what it says on the tin....really need better search capabilities over azure table storage.

922 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    andybritcliffe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A common need for users of Azure Table Storage is searching data in a Table using query patterns other than those that Table Storage provides efficiently, namely key lookups and partition scans. Using Azure Search, you can index and search Table Storage data (using full text search, filters, facets, custom scoring, etc.) and capture incremental changes in the data on a schedule, all without writing any code. To learn more, check out Indexing Azure Table Storage with Azure Search: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-tables

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Cosmos DB (formerly Document DB) has indexing on all properties, and they recently announced the ability to use the Azure Table API and SDKs with it (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/table-introduction), so in theory you should be able to migrate any existing tables to Cosmos without too many changes to code (in my case, I should be able to simplify a lot of code that deals with optimizing query performance).

I have not actually worked on this, so I don't know how well it works or how complicated it is, but it may be a good path for those of us who have been struggling with Tables for a while.

That said, I think you can also take this as a hint that significant improvements to Azure Tables are not forthcoming.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had actually given up on table storage years ago because this wasn't getting implemented well I guess it's good it's eventually getting implemented.

• Fernando Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a joke. Requested in 2009. It is almost 2015, and not implemented yet. I bet we will arrive in 2020, and this is still under review.

• Chris Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So glad this is under review, we really need the ability to index specific fields on tables. You can do a lot with a solid partitioning strategy today, but in almost every case, I still need this feature to maximize performance.

• Akash Kava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Storing any textual data on Table Storage is useless until this feature is provided, also we want this to be on Table Storage, not on SQL Azure.

• Robert Dytmire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is a big deal MS...it's been a feature of SQL Server for a LONG time, why the delay in Azure?

• Luke Merrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the ETA on this request? I haven't seen any activity or blog posts regarding this planned feature for over a year; despite it being commonly requested for SQL Azure.

• Chris Dostert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Will: you can use AWS CloudSearch service with ANY data store.. you just send your object to both storage medium(In-Memory, Azure TableStorage, AWS DynamoDB, SQL Server..etc) and the CloudSearch service. Because search as a service is probably going to be offered by all of the players in the game shortly(Google is also working on theirs and per this page Microsoft as well) I didn't want to tie my most recent project to AWS CloudSearch so I wrote a Search library that abstracts away your search implementation from any specific provider. Hypothetically speaking; when Microsoft and Google catch up and release their Search/Indexing as a Service offerings this library will allow you to use any or all of them without changing any of your dependent code. I haven't taken the time to publish any of it but if there were enough people interested i could publish the source on GitHub or equivalent and maybe put together a Nuget package with some documentation. -CD

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this coming? I will be happy if the answer is "today"--even happier if the answer is "yesterday".

• JIm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This is now on the SQL Azure roadmap" ????? Hello??? We are asking for this on Azure "Table" Storage. What's the roadmap for this? It will be 3-years soon since it was originally asked for!

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So glad to hear this is coming, but it needs to be a high priority, as in this CY. Amazon just released a full scale cloud search which is compelling to say the least. We use AWS for everything else we do, and are looking at moving our TS data to AWS DynamoDB and indexing it with AWS Cloud Search unless full text comes to Azure soon.

• ray247 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This is now on the SQL Azure roadmap, though delivery will be post CY12.", but what about people using Table Storage??? Does this mean there will be no Full Text Search feature out of box coming to Table Storage anymore? How do we who are using Table Storage as a backend have this search capability or do we need to re-write everything we did for Table Storage to Sql Azure now? Could you please clarify?

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important! I've tried to use Lucene with Table Storage but the costs are too high!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base