How can we improve Azure Storage?

Available Disk Space monitoring and alerts are not sufficient

The current available tools for visualizing and alerting on available Disk Space for Azure Virtual Machines should be expanded. In the Dashboards module, there is no Live Tile that would allow you to see a Virtual Machine's disks and available space. You can get some data through custom queries, but these queries are manual-refresh only and are not truly suited to a live Dashboard environment.

Similarly, there is no way to create an Alert for low disk space in the current Alerts module. In Alerts (Classic) there was a % Free Disk Space - this is not sufficient because it would not alert you to an individual disk being full. In Alerts (non-classic) there is no Alert Criteria in either Disks or Virtual Machines that would allow you to monitor the free space associated with any disks on a Virtual Machine.

165 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Todd Davis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rob Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just suffered a great deal of downtime and corruption due to one of my local drives filling up. (This was NOT the main OS "/" partition.) If the Azure Platform had a possible way to monitor available free space for INDIVIDUAL DISKS, then I could have setup an alert to notify me of this critical event long before these catastrophic fatalities ruined everything.

But for simplicity in implementation, I would suggest designing a metric for "Least Available % Free Disk Space".

For example, let's say there are 5 disks mounted within the VM:

15% /
    30% /mnt/resource
    40% /run
    35% /boot
    90% /mnt/smb

Thus, the metric would ONLY consider the /mnt/smb partition, (which should report "10%" free), and ignore all the other less-used devices. If the /mnt/smb partition didn't exist, then it would consider the /run partition, (which would report "60%" free).

Then it would be easy to create a Monitor based on this metric to send a notification about the imminent impending doom before it's too late.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just looking to do this today as one of my Azure VM's data drives was low on space and would have been nice.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Ren and Todd - This is what I would consider pretty basic resource alerting/monitoring functionality, and is of far more use to me than some of the more esoteric things I *can* set "non-classic" alerts for. Please address this issue by adding a functional "free disk space threshold" alert. Thanks, Microsoft!

Feedback and Knowledge Base