How can we improve Azure Storage?

Enable immediate sync after changes on the Azure file share for Azure File Sync

When I make a change on my server endpoint (Windows File Server), Azure File Sync initiates a sync session very quickly after file save, however for changes on the cloud endpoint (Azure file share), I have to wait at least 24 hours to have changes get synced down to my server endpoints.

Please invest in features to initiate a sync session immediately after changes are made cloud-side, or at least increase the interval of sync from the Azure file share.

808 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Prabath Anuradha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! As you mentioned, we initiate a change detection job once every 24 hours to enumerate the Azure file share and scan for changes. This is required for the Azure file share because Azure Files currently lacks a change notification mechanism like Windows Server has (we watching the USN journal on Windows Server to automatically initiate sync sessions on the server after changes are made).

Long term, we would like to build a change notification mechanism directly into Azure Files. Shorter term, we could use your feedback to understand how painful the once every 24 hours change detection is for you. Please vote and/or leave comments on this item to let us know we should invest in work to make the change detection job run more frequently/faster.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hadriel Tzuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Eric - My use case was that the "Endpoint" didn't sync immediately the change to Azure Storage Account until i upgraded the Agent to 4.1.0.0

• Eric Mucci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Hadriel - When a file is changed directly in the Azure Share (via SMB, Storage Explorer, Azure Restore, etc) the change can take up to 24 hours to sync down to the Server Endpoint. This behavior has not changed with the update to the Sync agent. To be clear, any changes done to the Server Endpoint always synced "immediately" to the Azure Share and to other registered Server Endpoints. The fix in 4.x is related to cloud tiering - in some scenarios files on the Server Endpoint could take up to 24 hours be tiered (ie not stored on the Server Endpoint). This thread is about improving the Cloud --> Server Endpoint sync time, NOT the syncing between Server Endpoints.

• Hadriel Tzuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys,

I can truly confirm that after uninstalling my old FileSync Agent and installed the 4.1.0.0 Agent the FileSync sampling intervals for sampling the folders around 5 seconds. so yes it works.

• Ramonito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's almost a year now and still no action from Microsoft. This feature is the only way for us to migrate TB sized data to Azure and make it available on-premise using FS with GB sized disk.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone confirm this is in 4.1.0.0? I'm not seeing faster change detection from share changes back to server

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually check this post ever couple of days. Hoping that today will be the day that Microsoft changes the status to completed. We have "SEVERAL" projects on "HOLD" due to this issue. I honestly can't believe that when the engineers were in the brainstorming/developing phase of this product that a 24 hours sync time was acceptable. I know Microsoft has more brain power than that?

• Adrian Pletosu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest pain by far is the restore from Azure Backup. As others have mentioned, the files are restored from Azure Backup to the Azure Files fileshare in a few minutes but it takes more than 24 hours for the files to sync back to the end user on the Windows file server (file server endpoint). It's a pain for every end user to have to wait at least 24 hours for a simple file or folder restore.

• Almir Moreira Ribeiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Undoubtedly, it is one of the main missing resources, it should already be a native resource, given the nature of use of the service.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, even just being able to manually trigger the sync via PowerShell or from the console would go a long way and should be straightforward to implement. I need to be able to initiate a sync on another server if the primary one fails. Ideally they would always be synchronized, but kicking off a sync job would be a great first step.

• AC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Would love to have a sync frequency at least at 4 hours.

• Stefan He commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far, the only way I've found to pull a file from Azure Cloud is to create a duplicate file over 26kB with the matching name. This seems to cause a conflict and causes the FileSynced server to pull down the version on the cloud with a -Cloud appended to its name.

So if I have "Example.csv" uploaded on the cloud. I can create a file called "Example.csv" on the server.
        This causes the file sync to pull "Example - Cloud.csv" from the cloud.
        Then you just delete "Example.csv" and rename "Example - Cloud.csv" to "Example.csv"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - any update on when this will be delivered? My product won't move to this until this issue is resolved. No updates or a possible release schedule is only hurting yourselves as we look for alternatives elsewhere. We can't wait forever...

• Tim Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How painful? Here's a scenario for you.

Field Employee says: "Hey boss did you get the contract I just put in azure files? It needs to be reviewed and signed right away."

Boss: "Sorry I have to wait 24 hrs to get the file on our local server."

Field Office: "Okay I'll just hand deliver it because it is faster."

Do you see the problem here? You can snail mail something in 24 hrs. How painful is it? What a silly question.

• Dou Yan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How painful? pretty pretty pretty pretty much!!!!
        I don't believe Microsoft doesn't enable it.
        It's a must have basic requirement.

• Peter Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like Microsoft to address this problem asap. It's not a big job for MS but it really improve the user experience a log.

• Yong Peng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this to be implemented as soon as possible. It's quite painful to wait until 24 hours, especially for mass files processing.

• Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 'd like to sync those changes down to endpoints immediately. Its painful to wait 24 hrs...

• mvigil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have clients that write to an Azure File Share and would like to sync those changes down to endpoints. Its painful to waif 24 hrs... need this done much sooner!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base