How can we improve Azure Storage?

SFTP (and FTPS) protocol support for Azure Files

Exposing the SFTP protocol would facilitate a bunch of scenarios where today 2 VMs (with all the management overhead that implies) are required.

2,379 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vincent-Philippe Lauzon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are interested in collecting feedback on this request – please vote for it if this is something you like to see.

We’re also interested in learning more what people want to use the SFTP/FTPS for and which protocol they prefer. Please feel free to leave us a comment letting us know more detail!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for SFTP as a service. One that our different customers can log into and access files that we create for them (and for us to process the files that they upload). Individual file storage per customer.
        Features like IP filtering (whitelist), upload public key and create username for each customer. Integration with Azure Functions so when a file gets uploaded, it triggers a function to process the file.

• Chris Coddington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SFTP. While the Azure Storage Explorer is a great tool (Mac & Windows), I need support for automation for our clients that dictate to us (sadly) how they can upload files with SFTP being a common request for us. I won't give you guys too much **** since AWS/S3 doesn't offer this option either.

• Pete Appleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(S)FTP is not a legacy protocol, and it's also a lot more efficient than HTTP. The statement "The need to support direct FTP and SFTP access to Azure Blob storage decrease over time as customers move to REST based tools that provide greater throughput and better security than legacy protocols. " is risible. Internet != HTTP.

• trailmax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to integrate 2 systems - one is fully on Azure, another is legacy on prem. The legacy system needs to push data into Azure system and the only way it knows how to do data pushing is SFTP. When I asked about REST API - they were like "What is REST?", so no chance of getting around this.

If storage can be accessed through SFTP/FTPS this would mean I can have a direct connetion to the storage without having to set up a VM for just having ports open for SFTP to push into storage.

• Chris W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to use a Mac client (Monosnap) that doesn't have native support for Azure Blob store, but does support SFTP/FTP/WebDav. Without SFTP to my Azure Blob, I need to shift back to Dropbox or Google Drive as a destination.

• Guillaume Justier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SFTP and FTPS support should have been a v1 feature: So many legacy apps that won't be modified, or apps that would need a cost of dev that is not justifiable.
        Not to mention there is not a single viable app on Mac and windows to browse azure files, whereas there are tons of very good FTP clients.
        At the moment we have to spin VMs just to do SFTP and FTPS, and it is not a very "cloud" solution.
        We need a serverless solution.

• Brian Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to replace my on premise Managed File Transfer product for exchanging files with our business partners via Afro!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge! There are a lot of big industries (I won't name them) that are technically behind and need a legacy solution, such as SFTP to transfer secure data. Then there are integrators who leverage modern technology such as Azure and need a serverless sftp option to securely receive external data from a lower-tech/legacy mechanism, but process it through a high tech, modern app service that consumes the data through azure blob storage.

• Tom Gilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In large enterprise lift and shift projects to azure there is a mandatory requirement to support legacy systems do not lift and shift (legacy partners) and have ftp file drop requirements. Very common in healthcare, finance, industrial, telecom...

• Vincent-Philippe Lauzon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The requirements were:
        1- Have a PaaS (no VMs to setup / maintain) solution
        2- Enable FTP and the popular flavours of Secured FTP (e.g. SFTP & FTPS)

I've seen FTP cropping up in many customer solutions. FTP still is massively popular as an integration mechanism. A lot of solutions, when ported to Azure, do require FTP for integration

• Nathon Plumlee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It sure would be helpful to support some of our legacy applications as well, same story as others, sftp is our only direct option. With no sftp support i am forced to setup intermediary systems in order for azure storage to be an option and i'm less likely to use azure storage if it complicates the process by requiring intermediaries, please help us to keep it simple and consider adding support for sftp.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SFTP would be a great solution. Right now we have an IaaS VM with third party software and having it all serverless would be nice, Especially when we want our some apps like Biztalk that needs a FTP to connect to a non VM/storage.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The future is server-less. Please help us get there. +1 for a PaaS solution to SFTP

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unencrypted FTP would be nice as well. It's great to push SFTP, but it's not always an option for legacy systems where we don't want to (or can't) touch the code of a 20 year old app, we can only point it at a new IP address and it will use the protocol that we love to hate - FTP.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base