How can we improve Azure Storage?

SFTP (and FTPS) protocol support for Azure Files

Exposing the SFTP protocol would facilitate a bunch of scenarios where today 2 VMs (with all the management overhead that implies) are required.

2,850 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vincent-Philippe Lauzon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are interested in collecting feedback on this request – please vote for it if this is something you like to see.

We’re also interested in learning more what people want to use the SFTP/FTPS for and which protocol they prefer. Please feel free to leave us a comment letting us know more detail!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

124 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello , im in the process of building a cloud native workflow engine, Azure Function based, that receives files into its ingestion pipeline VIA sftp. And as the poster said above it would be nice to be able to trigger a Azure Function invocation from file drop from SFTP. And that would be without to standup VMs running some SFTP appliance, writing CLI code the watch and wait on the event and then trigger the Azure Function. Any info on approach would be great. Of course a seamless Function Trigger would be great.

Yes. We need native support from Azure on this front.
        Why should we invest in a VM, for such a small item.

• Sanjay R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Management overhead" is real. We could use only one service instead of the three VMs we use today and increasing, just for ftp. Also, sharing data among these ftp servers is a pain as for some reason FileZilla server doesn't recognize drives made of Azure File System. A service like this would be a boon.

We are implementing this using blobfuse to linux mount it and then generic ftp server software on the linux machine.

• Beau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sharefile.com is a citrix file sharing service can receive files at an FTP endpoint. Clients/partners can send FTP their files to the service and you can retrieve them via FTP or an API.

• Jacob Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a customer who needs to setup SFTP for themselves and other 3rd parties to upload .CSV files to. A SaaS application is then pulling these files from the SFTP site on scheduled intervals to perform tasks. It sucks that i am going to need to build a VM and install IIS on it to make this work.

• Mike Fife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An SFTP service would be a great addition to Azure Event Hub as an additional method of data ingestion.

• Kris Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless I am missing something it seems like the only way to get SFTP into Azure is through setting it up on a VM? This is a major shortcoming from an integration standpoint. Are there any other viable options to upload through SFTP directly to Azure?

The future is server-less. Please help us get there. +1 for a PaaS solution to SFTP

• chetan m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we use SFTP and that server under host under Avaibility Zone or Set we need two VMs accessing same Azure File store. SFTP is one more requiremen to send my NAV server data to banks. i am planning to setup nav2016 server in availability set. without share its not possible . if i use share and map it to NAV, and then i use webservicde to write xml to that mapped drive it is not working. its not able to find mapped drive. SAmehing happen when we try to use same mapped drive for WINSCP code. so ?SFTP is very much essential.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for SFTP as a service. One that our different customers can log into and access files that we create for them (and for us to process the files that they upload). Individual file storage per customer.
        Features like IP filtering (whitelist), upload public key and create username for each customer. Integration with Azure Functions so when a file gets uploaded, it triggers a function to process the file.

• Chris Coddington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SFTP. While the Azure Storage Explorer is a great tool (Mac & Windows), I need support for automation for our clients that dictate to us (sadly) how they can upload files with SFTP being a common request for us. I won't give you guys too much **** since AWS/S3 doesn't offer this option either.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base