How can we improve Azure Storage?

Allow setting Archive tier at the account and container levels

Currently the archive tier can be set only at the blob level. There are plenty of uses cases for having entire storage accounts or containers for archival where setting the tier for each blob is tedious and non-value-adding.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben Virkler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lester Waters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Azure Storage team really messed this one up. I asked for: (a) allowing the "archive" tier to be a global default, just like "cool" is; and (b) allowing inheritance of the tier by setting it at the container level. The storage team insisted that the "apps" would be able to handle it... yeah maybe one day. We abandoned using the archive tier as a result.

• Skullsoldier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a powershell script about putting everything in the container to archive. i have not tested out it.

https://tech.xenit.se/azure-archive-storage-manage-access-tier-blobs-container/

i am still missing the option to store everything directly to archive access tier.

If i remember correctly competive company Amazon has something called Glacier that gives the possibility to backup from S3 directly to Glacier for archiving purpose.

• Derek Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This missing seems foolish. How hard could it be to cycle through the blobs when I enable this on the container? I assume I can do it through the API, so just add a check box that saves me the time....

Feedback and Knowledge Base