How can we improve Azure Storage?

Global File Locking for Azure File Sync

For Azure File Sync on multiple geographically diverse servers, lock files across the enterprise to eliminate conflicts.

For example, a user in Chicago opens a spreadsheet on a local server, and that server is running Azure File Sync to a share that is also mounted by a server in Atlanta also running Azure File Sync. The file lock for the spreadsheet should be global, preventing write access in Atlanta when opened in Chicago.

See Panzura.com for reference.

893 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
GT shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dave Carlyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been an ongoing issue in site-to-site file replication for over a decade. Each vendor says they are "working on file locking" but nothing ever happens. Kinda like here. Don't hold your breath!

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice in hopes that this will be seen and addressed with higher priority (slight as the increase may be). Thank you in advance for addressing this!

• RyanC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very happy to see this is being worked on, i just filled out the survey too. I urge everyone to fill out the survey.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in the same position as @Brian Cook, a global company with multiple offices needing to collaborate on the same projects. We currently use a 3rd party solution, which offers replication and file locking but it's not great; unreliable, slow, buggy and requires a lot of baby sitting. Looking forward to the preview of this feature. Hopefully the timescales are aggressive and this feature will get deployed quickly.

• Brian Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We put Panzura project on hold to see if Microsoft will be addressing in the Azure File Sync service. We are a global manufacturing company. We utilize engineer drawings that are shared across the WAN. Very slow and cannot collaborate. We are using Autodesk and Solidworks 2D and 3D files. They are large and Global File Locking is SUPER important and only having the bits sync that change during collaboration is desired. We must have file locking or no go.

• AH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be the most useful function that is missing from Azure files today.

• JMH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My clients simply won't consider this service until global file locking is a reality.

• STRiCT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed... how can under review from one year ago be the last official word on this?

• Caleb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of file locking makes collaborating on data and unreliable process. This Is highly needed and the similar tech should be used in one drive as well.

• Brian Rivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have multiple customers where this is the only thing stooping them from moving to Azure.

• Robin Simons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for an MSP and we have a few use cases where this is the only thing blocking them from moving to azure. Would really like to see this happen soon.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't make me reconsider Panzura for this simple feature. Option 2 is to build my own on prem VDI solution with VMWare and I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want me to spend more money with VMWare.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for an MSP and we have multiple firms that have 4 to 5 offices in different cities that often work on files for projects in other cities. AFS looks like a great way to have the local servers all synced, but the lack of Global File Locking seems to be the common hang up. They work with an array of file types: Docs, XLS, CAD, FileMakerPro, etc.

• RyanC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Count me in. I work for an MSP and have 2 opportunities for this. 2 Different companies, with 4-5TB data each, with many remote offices, using CAD,Solidworks. File locking is a critical need. I just voted. Make sure you get people to vote.

• Grant Klaaysen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure File Sync sounds awesome but without Global File Locking it misses the mark.
    I think this is the single most important feature to add next and will simply make this product a no brainer for virtually any company still using and needing to use file shares.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base