How can we improve Azure Storage?

Global File Locking for Azure File Sync

For Azure File Sync on multiple geographically diverse servers, lock files across the enterprise to eliminate conflicts.

For example, a user in Chicago opens a spreadsheet on a local server, and that server is running Azure File Sync to a share that is also mounted by a server in Atlanta also running Azure File Sync. The file lock for the spreadsheet should be global, preventing write access in Atlanta when opened in Chicago.

See Panzura.com for reference.

534 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GT shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

This is something we are actively investigating, and would appreciate your feedback on the need to do this, and especially how to ranks compared to other items we could pickup for Azure Files and Azure File Sync.

We’d like to hear from you on this item. Please send us an email at AzureFiles@microsoft.com, and of course vote for this item if you would like to see it.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Caleb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of file locking makes collaborating on data and unreliable process. This Is highly needed and the similar tech should be used in one drive as well.

• Brian Rivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have multiple customers where this is the only thing stooping them from moving to Azure.

• Robin Simons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for an MSP and we have a few use cases where this is the only thing blocking them from moving to azure. Would really like to see this happen soon.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't make me reconsider Panzura for this simple feature. Option 2 is to build my own on prem VDI solution with VMWare and I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want me to spend more money with VMWare.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for an MSP and we have multiple firms that have 4 to 5 offices in different cities that often work on files for projects in other cities. AFS looks like a great way to have the local servers all synced, but the lack of Global File Locking seems to be the common hang up. They work with an array of file types: Docs, XLS, CAD, FileMakerPro, etc.

• RyanC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Count me in. I work for an MSP and have 2 opportunities for this. 2 Different companies, with 4-5TB data each, with many remote offices, using CAD,Solidworks. File locking is a critical need. I just voted. Make sure you get people to vote.

• Grant Klaaysen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure File Sync sounds awesome but without Global File Locking it misses the mark.
        I think this is the single most important feature to add next and will simply make this product a no brainer for virtually any company still using and needing to use file shares.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are we with this? Anything to assist in file locks between endpoints is a real world need.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a need for global locking due to the nature of the files we work with....mostly CAD related, but we would see a need with other applications.

• STRiCT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the status is well past Under Review, and should be changed to Planned. Please advise...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would very much like this feature for collaborating across offices where teams are working on the same files. Not having this prevents many use cases involving cross-office collaboration.

• James Stetson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is seriously needed. The reality is that Microsoft Customers experience both the pros and cons of local office file servers. Pros: speed of access, speed of creating, and speed of re-organizing content. Cons: duplicate/redundant files and inability to perform effective collaboration. SharePoint is all well and good, but, at the end of the day, it is far too heavy for most users. Storing files in the cloud is great, except that it's painfully slow. The combination of a local Windows Server with a central cloud storage and global file locking is what we need. The Windows Server in an office would transform into a caching, print, and systems management (DHCP/SCCM/Intune) node. There is no question that having a solution like this would be wildly popular at Microsoft-centric companies.

I would like to +1 on the specific use case for Autodesk products. Our files are large, they are worked on in real time by teams in different geographic locations. This is a real problem, and AFS could be a real solution as long as they get file locking right in terms of how Autodesk uses file locking. As I understand it Autodesk uses file locking a bit different than most programs. Unfortunately I cannot find the Autodesk KB where it details that. If anyone can find that KB, please post here.

As I understand it, this feature has moved passed 'Under Review', and it would be important to see the status here be updated to something that better indicates where MS is at with this much needed feature. Thanks for all the hard work on such game changing technology!

I think a comment like 'cannot figure out a perfect system before they offer it' is wildly unrealistic. You cannot steer a ship unless its moving, and you are more then welcome to wait for General Availability, and/or the features you want or need before you play in a sandbox you don't like. Certainly no need to muddle up comments with impatient and useless criticisms.

• Procomp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just amazed that a company like MS cannot figure out a perfect system before they offer it to public. Beta, non beta, testing whatever they want to call it, this is exhausting and disappointing.

Imagine, you are presenting a project update to your upper management and telling them the project completed, is in production but no one can start using it just yet.

AArrggghhhh, and they have the audacity to present it to us...

• Martin Gudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Will Gries,

file locking is something that prevents some of my customers from using Azure File Sync as their file server replication partner.
        I was very glad to see this request, but now I understand that this is under review for 2 months.

What I really need is a feature that sets a file locked when a writable copy on one oft the replication instances is opened.

What exactly is the information you need to proceed?

Best regards,
        Martin Gudel

• Brian Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just coming up on Panzura. If Azure File Sync had the file locking and centralized management we'd possibly go with it over Panzura. We are a VMware shop so Panzura and its Linux based system fit nicely. We are definitely going to keep an eye on Azure File Sync in the same way we are keeping an eye on Hyper-V.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base