How can we improve Azure Storage?

Avoid auto-generated duplicate files in Azure File Sync

I use Azure File Sync to keep a couple web sites synchronized between a local VM and 2 Azure VMs. The files are stored in an SMB share on Azure Files and accessed directly by IIS 10.
The issue I had a couple times recently, is that a modified file gets automatically duplicated. For example, in the "App_Code" folder of my ASP.Net site, I have a file named "footer.cs". After modifying it locally or through one of the Azure VMs, after a few hours, a new file appears named "footer-Cloud.cs", containing an older version of the same file. This breaks the site as a duplicate class definition is detected...
Would it be possible to prevent this? Or use another naming convention? If the alternate file were named "footer.cs.cloud", I would not have had any issue,
Thanks for this great feature.

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frédéric Mauroy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! After reading your description, this seems like by design behavior we would be hesitant to change. When files are modified in multiple places, Azure File Sync will pick a “winner” file and a “loser” file based on whichever file was written to last.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frédéric Mauroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Azure File Sync to keep a couple web sites synchronized between a local VM and 2 Azure VMs. The files are stored in an SMB share on Azure Files and accessed directly by IIS 10.
        The issue I had a couple times recently, is that a modified file gets automatically duplicated. For example, in the "App_Code" folder of my ASP.Net site, I have a file named "footer.cs". After modifying it locally or through one of the Azure VMs, after a few hours, a new file appears named "footer-Cloud.cs", containing an older version of the same file. This breaks the site as a duplicate class definition is detected...
        Would it be possible to prevent this? Or use another naming convention? If the alternate file were named "footer.cs.cloud", I would not have had any issue,
        Thanks for this great feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base