How can we improve Azure Storage?

make it possible to use SSL on blob storage using custom domains

Currently you can use SSL but you have to user the standard URL. You can create a CNAME to your storage account but most browsers complain that the traffic was rerouted and is possibly an attack. There should be a way to install a domain certificate to your containers.

3,184 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tobin RysengaTobin Rysenga shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now use the Azure CDN to access blobs with custom domains over HTTPS. See the following article for instructions on how to do so: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-https-custom-domain-cdn. Having talked to a number of customers, we concluded that this solution addresses many scenarios where the need for HTTPS access to blobs with custom domains exists.

Native Azure Storage support for using SSL to access blobs at custom domains is still on our backlog. We would love to hear about your scenarios where using the Azure CDN is not an acceptable solution, either by posting on this thread or sending us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

81 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rune SynnevågRune Synnevåg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: Anything new here?
        Azure is great, but it looks better using our own domains when distributing files etc.

• Justin FrenzelJustin Frenzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems silly that custom domains would be supported, but not SSL for those custom domains. It makes custom domains useless for anything secure. Please working on delivering this feature, as I think it is must-have, and is something other platforms (AWS) supports.

• OkokOkok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. July 17, 2012. Almost 4 years. That is insane. This must really be a superhard one to *****, or if at all.

Dear Microsoft:

I am currently architecting a new large enterprise e-commerce application and one of the requirements is https and custom domain for blobs. Everything is planned to be hosted in Azure but we need this feature. What do you recommend?

Regards,
        /P

• takeostakeos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazon has had custom TLS on their CloudFront (SNI and non-SNI) for ages, while here this has been "under review" for two years. Reminds me of the lack for IPv6 support, which also has seen no updates for 2+ years. Seems to be good for the competition, but hurting Azure and its most loyal customers and supporters?

• Matt HirstMatt Hirst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Confused why so many of your services offer the SSL right next to the Custom Domain setting yet storage excludes it? Please add this feature as soon as possible - can't tell you the number of times our customers ask what "blob" means!

• Expert Azure ArchitectExpert Azure Architect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally need this! If you provide this it will totally change the architecture of an upcoming project I'm working on, for the better.

• Concerned Azure UserConcerned Azure User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to be the hottest topic on how to improve our use of Azure Storage. It's been under review for nearly two years now. It would be incredibly helpful to have this feature. Any status update from Microsoft whether they plan on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the new azure portal there is new Storage account (non classic), but we cannot make custom domain with it..

I hope it's because Microsoft is working on the new custom domain with ssl feature..

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add my voice to this feature request. The majority of our websites are now SSL at all times yet we cannot use our own custom domain when using blob storage.

Feedback and Knowledge Base