How can we improve Azure Storage?

See total size used by container/share and by storage account

We have multiple storage accounts each with blobs and other objects. The dashboards should show the total disk usage at every level: across all storage accounts, when clicking on a blob, the total for each folder, etc. Right now, one needs to get to the individual file level to see the size and manually sum it up.

234 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Luke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael García commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can I get this information using PowerShell?
    I have an automation account that get my reports about my usage and I would like to get a report of all my storage accounts and used capacity.

• Jabs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one of the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storagerp/operations/list#operation

It is mentioned that in jason response to following rest API call:

GET https://management.azure.com/providers/Microsoft.Storage/operations?api-version=2018-07-01

we can get used capacity of storage account:

{
    "name": "Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts/providers/Microsoft.Insights/metricDefinitions/read",
    "display": {
    "provider": "Microsoft Storage",
    "resource": "Storage Accounts",
    "operation": "Get list of Microsoft Storage Metrics definitions",
    "description": "Get list of Microsoft Storage Metrics definitions."
    },
    "origin": "system",
    "properties": {
    "serviceSpecification": {
    "metricSpecifications": [
    {
    "name": "UsedCapacity",
    "displayName": "Used capacity",
    "displayDescription": "Account used capacity",
    "unit": "Bytes",
    "aggregationType": "Average",
    "fillGapWithZero": false,
    "category": "Capacity",
    "resourceIdDimensionNameOverride": "AccountResourceId"
    }
    ]
    }
    }
    }

But REST API i not taking Storage Account name and access key. So how to construct GET REST API for my storage account: STGACT1 and access key: AKey1 to get the used capacity of my storage account?

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"it should be at storage account level instead of container level." - Why, the need for a container size and other stats can be very helpful, especially in planning. What an obtuse statement.

• Rahul Naik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User should get stats about the storage account usage as their size limitation of 500TB on storage account.

• Nuno Coimbra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It is often of uttermost importance having that ability in a simplified way. I urge you to consider this.

• alon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's very messy to check all your storage size for every storage name !
    i'm using cerebreta "azure explorer" and always have to check the folders inside the containers and wait for the property of size.
    can't wait for that :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure initially provided 100TB capacity per account. It has now increased it to 200TB.

We need maximum account capacity and capacity used to calculate the free space available in the account.

API exists to give capacity usage for an account. But there is no API to return maximum capacity for an account.

If Azure increases its capacity to 500 TB in its next release, there is no way to calculate the free space available.

Please provide an API that will return the maximum capacity of an Account.

(moved to Storage feedback area)

Feedback and Knowledge Base