Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove storage account quota per subscription

Our application uses multi-tenant architecture. To provide better service/security to our customers we use one storage account per customer. Quota in 50 storage accounts per subscription makes difficulties to support such schema, because you need always to monitor the used number of accounts, ask support team to extend quota, in case when it is possible, if not then create new subscription for new ones.

639 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Currently you can create up to 200 storage accounts per region per subscription with the option to increase this to 250 by contacting Azure Support. You can check out service limits here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits#storage-limits.

For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Provide storage emulation for Mac and Linux

Storage emulation is Windows only. There should be something to be able to simulate blobs and tables for developing. This could be as simple as a SQLite database. The internet dependency slows testing and development.

455 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide support for append blobs in the Azure Storage Emulator

Currently Append Blobs aren't supported in the Azure Storage Emulator. Attempting an operation on an append blob returns a FeatureNotSupportedByEmulator error (HTTP status code 400 - Bad Request).

187 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Virus scanning for Blob Storage

Need the ability for real-time virus scanning on blobs.

97 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • One-time use SAS tokens

Essentially, I'd like to be able to create a Shared Access Signature that's only available for one-time use in addition to the existing time-based expiration.

81 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Be able to set custom HTTP Headers to a Blob

I want to be able to set http headers to a specific file inside a blob container such aa "Cahe-Control" and P3P Headers...

63 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                7 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we do not plan to add this feature to our platform at this time. Please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/fileservices/Set-Blob-Properties?redirectedfrom=MSDN#request to see a list of supported headers. We will provide an update if the status of this ask changes. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Naming storage accounts, not able to use hyphen's

We use a naming convention for our resources in Azure "***-sydney" for virtual networks, "***-apollo" for VM's... but with storage accounts we cant use a hyphen when naming in the new portal.

Be cool if this was fixed!

63 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Blob storage API should be case insensitive, like NTFS

I wrote an IFileSystem implementation that uses a blob container as backing storage. Unfortunately I found that the api to be case sensitive, which makes it difficult and less performant to write.

According to http://www.deveducate.com/blog/post/2010/11/23/Azure-Blob-URIs-are-case-sensitivee28093just-ask-your-shrink.aspx this is because it is consistent with rest apis.

Whatever standards may state, since blob storage is a hierarchical path-->contents system, it should behave like other such systems (NTFS) and return the blob regardless of the casing of the path from the container.

For now, the workaround for me is to always lowercase (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/24cc9b63-6781-4371-b2ee-89067ffda381/is-there-a-way-to-remove-the-case-sensitivity-from-blob-storage?forum=windowsazuredata), but this means my filesystem can not be reused…

53 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we do not plan to add this feature to our platform at this time. Using the Azure Files service you can address Azure Storage like a network share using the SMB2.1 protocol.  This enables usage of normal Windows API’s to rename files and directories.  You can get started with the Files service by visiting https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files. We will provide an update if the status of this ask changes. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Limit the number of times SAS can be used

Hello,

I would like to say that being able to limit the user per time frame for SAS requested resources is great. It is already implemented and works as intended. Great job and thank you for that!:)
                    I was also thinking that it would be great to be able to limit a number of times a particular SAS can be used. So for example if a SAS expires after 1 hour from now, I want to be able to say that during that hour, a user can make no more than X requests for the resource. A SAS then, would…

49 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide ability to limit the size of the payload being uploaded to a blob storage using a sas token

Currently there are only handful of limitations one can associate with a SAS token generated for Azure Storage Blob. Those are time period, access type, IP address filtering as well as protocol. It would be great to add a new option to limit the amount of data which can be uploaded to the storage.

47 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow Azure Files shares to be mounted using SAS signatures

Currently you must specify the storage account key when mounting Azure Files shares. Storage account keys are a very highly privileged secret that must be managed carefully in an enterprise. Please allow users the ability to mount shares using SAS signatures so that it's possible to manage access to Azure Files shares at a more granular level.

45 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • SAS tokens for blobs with restricted file types and maximum file size

When issuing a Shared Access Signature (SAS token) there should be(optional) parameters for maximum file size and restricted whitelisted file extensions so that clients can upload files only with any of the whitelisted extensions in token with not bigger than maximum size mentioned in SAS token.

40 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) Uploads

Using BITS, which ships with all supported Windows clients, to upload large blobs, helps overcome many obstacles when uploading over unreliable networks. It is easy to rely on to upload large files. It would be very useful to use it to upload blobs to Azure without having to build and install a similar system to resend failed blocks.

38 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Enable blob type conversion

It would be nice to be able to change the type (block <-> page) of a blob after uploading it to storage without the need of downloading and reuploading it again with the correct type.

33 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow POST requests from an html form to upload directly to Azure Blob storage

Allow HTML forms' POST requests to write blobs directly to blob storage, removing the need to have compute roles receive the data and then move it to BLOB storage.

This can be done using the HTML5 files API (and using XHR2 PUT requests), but a method for older browsers without the files API (IE9 and lower) would be great.

32 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add rsync/WAN optimization support for Azure storage

It would be amazing if the blob/files storage supported rsync semantics for incremental upload.

Scenario: I have a large file, one local copy on my mobile device and one copy in blob storage. The local copy can be modified by my app. I want to continuously synchronize the change to maintain an up-to-date copy in blob storage.

Currently I have to always upload the entire file for any changes (unless my device does local change tracking).

With rsync support my device could query blob storage for the file's rsync signature, then generate an rsync delta based on that signature and…

32 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • SMB over BLOB storage

Azure Files looks like an interesting technology but unfortunately doesn't suit my particular scenario. We have files sitting on a VM that we need to get into BLOB Storage so that they can be processed via a HDInsight cluster. I had hoped that Azure Files would simply be an SMB interface over the top of existing BLOB Storage but it turns out that's not the case, its another area of storage entirely.

What I'd like is an SMB interface over BLOB Storage so that I could simply drop files into BLOB Storage using SMB. (Either that or give HDinsight the…

28 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we do not plan to add this feature to our platform at this time. Currently you can move files from your VM to Blob storage using AzCopy (documented at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-use-azcopy). AzCopy also supports moving data from Azure Files to Azure Blobs. You can set up an Azure File share to take advantage of SMB and then migrate to Azure Blobs using AzCopy. We will provide an update if the status of this ask changes. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• Decouple storage account URL from storage account name

I want to be able to create a storage account with a name decoupled from it's URL for the following reasons .

1) I don't care about the URL, make it random.
                                      2) I want to name storage accounts what I like without having to have them globally unique.
                                      3) I rarely want an external HTTP endpoint anyway.

26 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow short container name on Azure Storage

The container name on azure storage need to have at least 3 characters.

Currently i have a javascript file which is used on houndreds of differents sites which link looks like that:

domain.com/v1/script.js

I am not able to move it to azure storage, as i cannot create container named v1.

It is also not possible to use root container as you cannot use / in blob name in root container.

The resolution would be to allow shorter cotnainer names - even 1 character.

Min 3 character name seems to be somehow strange constraint.

24 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Mount Cloud Drive with Specific Drive Letter (say C:)

We have very large SilverLight based applications. Where our applications are dealing with large amount of data. And we are planning to host our applications on Cloud. Our Main application is base for few other application. But due to some reason we always need a Cloud Drive with Drive Letter C. But Cloud Drive every time assign the arbitrary drive letters.
                                          And we think this is very important requirement for those who are using Silverlight based project with Cloud Drive.
                                          So Please Azure Cloud Drive team look at this request and process it as soon as possible and let all…

23 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base