Storage

How can we improve Azure Storage?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to backup blob storage with automatic retentions

Support snapshot or backup feature from Azure backup vault for blob storage including deduplication feature

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Blob storage Soft-Delete will allow you to configure automatic snapshotting of blobs and allow you to specify retention periods for those snapshots. Soft-Delete will be configurable directly from the storage account. This feature is currently being worked on. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

• 717 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure Storage now provides a comprehensive set of security capabilities which together enable developers to build secure applications. Data can be secured in transit between an application and Azure by using Client-Side Encryption https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-client-side-encryption/, HTTPs, or SMB 3.0. Storage Service Encryption https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-service-encryption/ provides encryption at rest, handling encryption, decryption, and key management in a totally transparent fashion.

• Add a way to copy the contents of an entire storage account to another storage account

Say your application stores important data in an Azure Storage Account, perhaps spread across both Table and Blob containers.

It would be very handy to be able to copy the entire contents of a storage account to another storage account. So that you could duplicate your azure storage environment between your stage production environments easily, allowing you to test updates to your application on a copy of your live production data before actually deploying it to production.

I know that bits and pieces of this functionality exist already, via things like Copy Blobs and Blob Snapshots, but nothing built in…

82 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  AzCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide me with full text search on table storage

Does what it says on the tin....really need better search capabilities over azure table storage.

913 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            43 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A common need for users of Azure Table Storage is searching data in a Table using query patterns other than those that Table Storage provides efficiently, namely key lookups and partition scans. Using Azure Search, you can index and search Table Storage data (using full text search, filters, facets, custom scoring, etc.) and capture incremental changes in the data on a schedule, all without writing any code. To learn more, check out Indexing Azure Table Storage with Azure Search: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-tables

• Ability to create new Azure Storage containers, tables, queues from the Portal

Add the ability to create new Azure Storage containers, tables and queues from the Azure Management Portal. Right now it's only possible to create new file shares. Having to create a table by code simply to insert data is not convenient.

25 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Email Notifications of Storage/Capacity

have email notifications of storage limit or service capacities. Recently ran out of space w/ no warning...

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • highlight how to disable Nagle's algorithm in your performance optimization MSDN articles

The MSDN article that describes Nagle's algorithm (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh697709.aspx) should highlight the performance gains from disabling Nagle's algorithm.

In our case, disabling that algorithm yielded an order of magnitude improvement in latency (from 300 to 30 ms). This is a vital piece of information that is not highlighted in performance optimization documentation for Azure.

It may even be worthwhile to consider disabling Nagle's algorithm by default, or provide some default configuration examples that remark on this algorithm.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)