Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support "Last Accessed" timestamp in blob metadata

With the new "Cool Storage" feature announced recently, it would be useful if we could tell when our "Hot" blobs were last accessed, so we could push them to Cool storage where appropriate. We could achieve this with a proxy service and SAS signatures, but having this automatically updated in the blob metadata itself would be much simpler and remove the requirement for any compute resource being required for simply accessing a blob.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Possibility to migrate a Storage Account to an Affinity Group

It would be very practical to be able to move or migrate a storage account into an affinifty group after it's creation.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow monitoring and alerting for IOpS consumption for Storage Accounts and individual BLOBS

Allow monitoring and alerting for IOpS consumption for Storage Accounts and individual BLOBS.

There are capacity limits in Azure for these items but no meaningful way to measure them.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now offer a “Usage” blade that allows you to view capacity for the blob portion of a Storage account. We also offer alert rules for blob capacity and total requests as well. There are no plans to extend this to individual blobs at this time, but this is something we will look into periodically. Thanks for your feedback!

4. to install Silverligh ClientAccessPolicy.xml on table storage and provide an editor

to install Silverligh ClientAccessPolicy.xml on table storage and provide an editor. That way we can use table storage from within Silverlight.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jeff Irwin responded

While this is not possible today for table storage, it can be done for blob storage using the root container (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh488356.aspx). Additionally, Table Storage can be accessed from JavaScript running in a browser using Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) Headers (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2013/11/27/windows-azure-storage-release-introducing-cors-json-minute-metrics-and-more.aspx). Adding support for ClientAccessPolicy.xml in Table Storage is under review.

5. Improve Session support with TableStorageSessionStateProvider

The November '09 TableStorageSessionStateProvider could be improved in a few ways:

1.) Make it use DataConnectionString instead of blobServiceBaseUri, tableServiceBaseUri, AccountName, and sharedKey.

2.) Make it clean up old entries in the Sessions table and blobs in sessionprovidercontainer.

3.) Improve performance.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Diagnostics trace viewer in management portal

Right now if you need to see logs, you have to query azure table WADLogsTable. This is a bit wired. I think it will be good addition to the management portal if it will show this logs in more adequate way. If it will also support search it will be even more awesome.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add DataSync for Windows Azure Storage so affinity groups under Traffic Manager can stay in sync

If I choose to use Table Storage with an application that is under Traffic Manager, I would still like to maintain an affinity group for lower latency. In order to do this today I would need to syncronize data between the each of the storage nodes

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bulk Retrieve From Table Storage

A number of applications require querying for a set of non-contiguous records. However, for Table Storage, the only way to accomplish this is to issue a single query per record, or filter out the ones that are not needed after the query. In either case, this adds significant latency to getting the final result set.

It would be desirable to have a single bulk retrieve operation (analogous to the rest of the Bulk operations) which can handle non-contiguous retrieves within a single call. It would be completely reasonable to restrict it to a single partition, similar to the other bulk…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make Join on the Table storage

Allow join feature on table storage.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Server side delete, rename of virtual folder

Currently if I have millions of documents inside a virtual folder, there is not way to delete them without actually iterating through everything, which is extremely time consuming (weeks to process deletions)

For example, if you have multiple containers, which in turn have multiple virtual folders with millions of blobs, moving, renaming or deleting the "folder" is impossible without some painfully slow iterating through everything.

thanks!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow control of storage account DefaultServiceVersion through Azure Panel for true HTTP/1.1

By default, when a new Storage Account is created, the DefaultServiceVersion property is set to 2009-09-19, which is really old. Many storage accounts created now don't need backwards compatibility with this very old version.
    It would be very useful to allow control of DefaultServiceVersion through Azure control panel or better, when creating a new Storage Account (same way you can select Windows release when creating VM) so that one can select it to a more recent version and thus allow storage account to respond to HTTP/1.1 Range request.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Secure Azure Storage access using WAAD/ACS

I'd like to expose access to Azure storage resources directly to my tenants, but I need to use the same security mechanisms that my users use for accessing other parts of my system (e.g., web apps).

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow adding custom headers to Azure Queue messages to support tracking of distributed business transactions

AppDynamics, our Application Performance Monitoring software, needs to be able to add headers to Azure Queue messages, so we can track them as they are picked up and processed by worker roles. This will allow Azure users to see the full, profiled view of their business transactions as they go from role to queue and then to other roles that process them. Such insight into application performance can be invaluable for monitoring and debugging complex Azure deployments.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support If-Modified-Since precondition in blob enumeration APIs

(Unless I've missed it somewhere) It would be real nice if last modification time filtered blob enumerations could be applied server-side.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Optimise retrieving of multiple entities across partitions

If I request multiple entities, for example with the filter

(PartitionKey=1 AND RowKey=2) OR (PartitionKey=3 AND RowKey=4)

then a full table scan is performed. Of course, it's more performant to make two queries for fast access to the specific records, but when the client is miles away, perhaps on a mobile device, the extra network traffic for two requests is itself problematic. I'd like the API to internalise the need to split this request into two, retrieve the two entities, then combine them into a single response rather than performing a full table scan. This would provide the best performance…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support mounting Azure file shares in FreeBSD

Support mounting an Azure file share in FreeBSD. Currently FreeBSD is unable to mount Azure file shares.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! In this case, the reason why an Azure file share cannot be mounted on FreeBSD is because of the SMB support provided in the OS distribution rather than a limitation we have on the Azure Files service side. That said, we have contributed to Linux to support SMB 3.0 with encryption in the past, so we would like to investigate how to make Azure Files work on FreeBSD as well.

To help us prioritize this ask, please continue to vote for this item.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

19. Mark TableEntity as Serializable

There is no way to expose AzureTable data directly via WebAPI due to Serializable requirement. Unfortunately TableEntity class doesn't have that attribute and forces to create a duplicated class. Please mark TableEntity class as serializable.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. SSD storage pricing is way high and the calculator in no way captures the actual cost that's incurred

The SSD pricing is way too costly for us - I tried the calculator ( https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/ ) but when I started using it, it went off charts!! When I got in touch with the customer care, I was told the charge of the disk is list price which is used to multiply the consumed units.

I've been using a single premium storage (SSD) which means I should be charged at $19.71 per month ( 1 X $19.71) and any the consumed units to be charged at $0.0036 per unit, so for instance if I have consumed 2.7 units it should…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base