Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Extend Table Storage Property Limit

Currently, Azure Tables only support 255 properties (columns) on a single entity (row) and a max row size of 1MB. This should be greatly extended (e.g. 10x+), particularly since Azure does not offer Join query support. Without Join support, devs are forced to span large data structures across multiple tables. When querying the data, devs have to manage this extra complexity as well as suffer the performance penalties of querying against N tables and then performing their own post-join operation. Azure Tables scale great in one dimension (# rows), but horribly in the other (# columns). While Azure Tables should…

195 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support deduplication of Azure storage objects (blobs and files)

Add support for deduplication of files stored in Azure Files to save storage space (cost). General file savings are about 50% when using deduplication in Windows Server

195 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mounting BLOB storage in file system like NFS

I just would like to mount a BLOB storage directory in a Linux file system like it was an NFS drive. Thanks to FUSE, a userlevel driver can be made to share files across machines.

Currently, if you need to share files between VMs you have to set up SAMBA or NFS having a "master" node that holds the main copy of the files, and other VMs mount these shares in their file systems.

Proposal: "see" a BLOB storage directory like a directory in the main file system. This idea can be extended to Windows VMs using shared folders

188 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Table Storage permissions to prevent deletion

It would be nice to be able to lock certain areas of Azure Storage to prevent operators/developers from deleting a table/container/queue by accident. Our specific need right now is for Azure Storage Tables but could potentially be for containers and queues. For example, it would be nice to lock a table to not allow deletion.

159 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Entity Framework provider for Azure Storage

Even if clearly impossible to have all relational features implemented, a mapping between EF entities and Azure Storage tables would be great, as would simplify the migration of the data layer to Azure.

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Infinite TTL for Queue Messages

Currently messages in your Queue are discarded after 7 days. I'd like to have the option of messages living in my Queue until I get around to processing them no matter what..

150 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add support for HTTPS endpoints to Azure Storage Emulator

The Azure storage emulator doesn't support HTTPS endpoints. That means that when we develop locally under SSL, we either have mixed content warnings or get broken links.

"Note that the storage emulator supports connection via HTTP only. However, HTTPS is the recommended protocol for accessing resources in an Azure production storage account."
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-configure-connection-string/

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/38. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

8. Support "skip" in Azure Table

MSDN says the "take" operator is only supported for the first 1,000 rows...

I need to access row number 5,000 in a highly partitioned storage layout. Support for "skip" is a requirement if we are to continue development.

140 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support TCP connections to table/blob storage from within the datacenter (low latency, ultra fast).

We have the need for ultra-fast record range retrieval from table storage (a la on-site SQL Server) from our web roles in the same data center. This is driving a data-intensive BI engine that relies on low-latency access to massive streams of data. Currently, we are looking to MongoDB to fill this gap.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Support for Lists/Arrays in Azure Tables

Azure tables need an option to support lists/arrays for per entity instance.

Both Google App Engine (http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/typesandpropertyclasses.html#ListProperty) and Amazon's simpledb both already offer this.

It enables an effective way to relate entities without the over head of traditional SQL.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions

ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions directly from the backup vault

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mobile client for Azure Files

Create a mobile client for iOS and Android for accessing files on Azure Files. It could be part of OneDrive, Outlook or just a completely new app.

Read-only offline copy support would also be great

100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support multiple storage accounts in Azure Storage Emulator

The Azure Storage Emulator only supports a single fixed account (devstoreaccount1).

This makes integration testing and development on the same machine a pain, as we would like to be able to clear the integration testing account entirely before and after each test sequence, without removing development data.

The connection string to the new account could use the extended syntax (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-use-emulator#authenticating-requests-against-the-storage-emulator - not "UseDevelopmentStorage=true"), with the same account key but a different account name, and if need be, different ports for blob/table/queue endpoints.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/40. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

14. Allow me to pay for increased entities/second from a table storage account

Amazon's DynamoDB offers the ability to scale access to a single table, while Azure Table Storage is limited to 5000 entities/account. With Azure Federations now in place, this seems like the last remaining bottleneck for my application as it grows.

Spreading my data across multiple accounts is a suboptimal solution because (1) it requires an additional layer of complexity in my application, (2) these accounts are not free in that I must request more of them from Microsoft myself every time I need more, (3) I'm not guaranteed to get more than 20 (5 to start, 20 if you go…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Now that you've released Managed Disks, allow us to specify IOPS

This has been requested in other forms, but now that you have Managed Disks you're most of the way there. I would like to be able to say "I want a Managed Disk using standard storage, 1TB in size, with 2500 IOPS." Then you figure out how to configure storage to deliver those IOPS without me having to stripe disks, or whatever.
    Or perhaps "I want a 1TB Managed Disk using premium storage with 15000 IOPS." Again, you figure out how to configure and provision that, so I don't have to. That would be awesome!

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Attach VHD(x) to more than one VM at the same time

Attach VHD(x) to more than one VM at the same time

Having an option to attach the same VHD to a set of VMs would allow creating real HA clusters for single node applications - like databases. Storage could work just like iSCSI/FC/SAS SAN, being presented to two nodes, mounted on one. Also that would allow usage of GFS/OCFS2 filesystems to share data between cluster nodes if desired. AzureFiles suffers from every problem SMB have and is unreliable at best. The only other option is shared-nothing filesystems like moosefs/glusterfs.

as far as I know there is "Shared VHDX" functionality in…

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Unmanaged Disks Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Storage Emulator with storage transaction counting and billing simulation.

This enhancement would help to estimate production runtime costs and catch issues like excessive queue polling during development.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Providing this functionality is on our backlog but there is no ETA we can share at this time. We have logged this request in the GitHub repository for the new open source storage emulator, Azurite. Please continue the discussion there: https://github.com/Azure/Azurite/issues/39. We will provide updates when they become available on this ask as well as in the GitHub repository. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

18. Enhance Azure Files / Azure File Sync to include document icons

In Azure Files (specifically with Azure File Sync), it would enhance the user experience if the document icons would show what we're used to on a File Server vs the generic icons.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Azure File sync compatibility with Windows Server 2012

Please add Azure File sync compatibility with Windows Server 2012

Till today there are only agents for Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016.

Windows Server 2012 supports SMB 3.0, WMF 5.1 (and Powershell AzureRM 4.3.1) as listed System Requirements.

So maybe it should work? Thanks a lot

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Although 2012 and 2012 R2 are quite similar from a user perspective, we don’t believe that it’s a completely trivial port to get Azure File Sync running on Windows Server 2012.

We are however very open to bringing this to 2012, so please help us prioritize this work based on your continued votes!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

20. Provide retention policies for Azure File Sync Snapshots

Provide retention policies for AFS snapshots.
    Retention policies define the time period/interval and define the total amount of snapshots retained.
    These amount of (retained) snapshots should be categorized in Hourly (h:00), Daily (0:00), Weekly (Sunday), Monthly (1st day of month) and are part of the retention policies.
    Garbage collection takes care of removing expired snapshots.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Azure File Sync automatically takes share snapshots and file snapshots for internal use. We also have our own logic about when to remove these snapshots. We’re interested to know what you think about this – please vote for this item and comment below if you think we need better/different controls/reporting for this.

If what you actually want is the ability to do snapshots and have retention policies for snapshots for the purpose of Backup, please vote on this item: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217298-storage/suggestions/31827694-schedule-snapshots-of-azure-file-shares

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base