Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Secure Azure Storage access using WAAD/ACS

I'd like to expose access to Azure storage resources directly to my tenants, but I need to use the same security mechanisms that my users use for accessing other parts of my system (e.g., web apps).

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. make it possible to use SSL on blob storage using custom domains

Currently you can use SSL but you have to user the standard URL. You can create a CNAME to your storage account but most browsers complain that the traffic was rerouted and is possibly an attack. There should be a way to install a domain certificate to your containers.

4,934 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    162 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now use the Azure CDN to access blobs with custom domains over HTTPS. See the following article for instructions on how to do so: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-https-custom-domain-cdn. Having talked to a number of customers, we concluded that this solution addresses many scenarios where the need for HTTPS access to blobs with custom domains exists.

Native Azure Storage support for using SSL to access blobs at custom domains is still on our backlog. We would love to hear about your scenarios where using the Azure CDN is not an acceptable solution, either by posting on this thread or sending us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

3. Please give us Count(), TakeLast(int i), Skip(int i)

There are many Scenarios were count is useful. Ich I write logs to Azure Tables most of the time i want to retreive the last n entries. It would be great if there would be something like TakeLast(int i) or Skip(int i) for doing something like Skip(count - take).Take(take).

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow adding custom headers to Azure Queue messages to support tracking of distributed business transactions

AppDynamics, our Application Performance Monitoring software, needs to be able to add headers to Azure Queue messages, so we can track them as they are picked up and processed by worker roles. This will allow Azure users to see the full, profiled view of their business transactions as they go from role to queue and then to other roles that process them. Such insight into application performance can be invaluable for monitoring and debugging complex Azure deployments.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure Table Storage permissions to prevent deletion

It would be nice to be able to lock certain areas of Azure Storage to prevent operators/developers from deleting a table/container/queue by accident. Our specific need right now is for Azure Storage Tables but could potentially be for containers and queues. For example, it would be nice to lock a table to not allow deletion.

166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Changing the maximum URL length for the development storage emulator REST api

I'm making a request to the local storage which is over 300 characters in length. (Pretend this request is over 300 characters)

http://127.0.0.1:10002/devstoreaccount1/MyTableName(PartitionKey='MyReallyLongPartitionKey',RowKey='MyReallyLongRowKey')

I receive the following error message:

Bad Request - Invalid URL
    HTTP Error 400. The request URL is invalid.

Now, if I shorten the keys for a total length of 300 for the URL, I receive the ResourceNotFound error, which is fine, of course, as there is no such entity.

Obviously, it's allowable to have valid PartitionKeys and RowKeys queries exceeding the length of 300.

Is there any way to change the maximum URL length that the…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Storage Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow me to pay for increased entities/second from a table storage account

Amazon's DynamoDB offers the ability to scale access to a single table, while Azure Table Storage is limited to 5000 entities/account. With Azure Federations now in place, this seems like the last remaining bottleneck for my application as it grows.

Spreading my data across multiple accounts is a suboptimal solution because (1) it requires an additional layer of complexity in my application, (2) these accounts are not free in that I must request more of them from Microsoft myself every time I need more, (3) I'm not guaranteed to get more than 20 (5 to start, 20 if you go…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to delete from Table Storage by Partition

There is no good way to delete multiple entries in Table Storage. All you can do is delete one at a time. For logging tables this can become VERY expensive. It would be great if we had the ability to use Partitions as a way to delete logical groups of data in Table Storage in a single transaction.

This would allow for a partitioning scheme for grouping data in units that can easily be deleted. For example, logging data in WADLogsTable or rolling tables of data captured on a given partition can be archived easily and cleaned up.

753 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to set Proxy Server

Allow the ability to set the proxy server for requests on windows azure storage

I will say yes you can set the global but this isn't always ideal in all environments.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add metadata support to storage queue messages

Please add the capability to add custom metadata to storage queue messages so that we can more easily implement additional communication features on top of them (correlation, header based routing, ...)

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. CloudPageBlobs should have a CURRENT snapshot name that always points to the latest

CloudPageBlobs should have a CURRENT snapshot that always directly follows the latest version of the blob it is refrencing. This would allow for many read-only mounts of the VHD with out having to manage the create/delete cycle of time stamped labels. Additionally this mount would reduce the unmount/remount cycle that moves around drive letters and can mess up previously opened files.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add DataSync for Windows Azure Storage so affinity groups under Traffic Manager can stay in sync

If I choose to use Table Storage with an application that is under Traffic Manager, I would still like to maintain an affinity group for lower latency. In order to do this today I would need to syncronize data between the each of the storage nodes

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Extend Table Storage Property Limit

Currently, Azure Tables only support 255 properties (columns) on a single entity (row) and a max row size of 1MB. This should be greatly extended (e.g. 10x+), particularly since Azure does not offer Join query support. Without Join support, devs are forced to span large data structures across multiple tables. When querying the data, devs have to manage this extra complexity as well as suffer the performance penalties of querying against N tables and then performing their own post-join operation. Azure Tables scale great in one dimension (# rows), but horribly in the other (# columns). While Azure Tables should …

213 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. add metadata to Table Storage tables

It would be very useful if table could have metadata associated with them beyond just their name. A user-defined metadata entity (just like a table entity) would be awesome.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support TCP connections to table/blob storage from within the datacenter (low latency, ultra fast).

We have the need for ultra-fast record range retrieval from table storage (a la on-site SQL Server) from our web roles in the same data center. This is driving a data-intensive BI engine that relies on low-latency access to massive streams of data. Currently, we are looking to MongoDB to fill this gap.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow complex types in Azure tables storage

Currently azure tables only support simple properties and flat entities. It would be great to make it more of a "object/graph" database with the ability to cascade entities, and do deep oData queries.

You could just make RavenDB available on azure.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. create an API method for getting the number of BLOBs in a Container

As far as I understand, there is currently no method for getting the total number of blobs in a single container.

And there is also the maximum number of blobs per request (5.000).

We have containers with 10k - 100k blobs so we would really need a way of quickly checking the number of blobs that are in a container.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our apologies for not updating this ask earlier. Storage analytics at the container level is on our backlog, but is unlikely to be released in the coming year. Currently, account level analytics are available. In order to monitor, diagnose and troubleshoot an Azure Storage account, please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting. In .Net you can now use the Analytics class to process these metrics. The API can be referenced at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/microsoft.windowsazure.storage.analytics.aspx. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

19. Tool that can help migrate existing on-premise relational database to Azure table storage

This tool should understand the on-premise relational database schema and generate equivalent tables in Azure table storage (with rowkeys as current primary keys and partitionkeys based on the indexes on the current relational table).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base