Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Exploring Storage in the preview portal

Perhaps I am missing something but it looks like there could be some circular logic as I explore storage I can explore more storage and loop around to the storage I am exploring.

That and I cannot seem to explore into containers just at the root. So what is inside the containers does not appear to be surfaced.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for copying spanned blobs

We have needed to delete/create a number of VMs for a variety of reasons - change affinity group, vnet, data center, you name it. It's easy enough with single disk blobs. Unfortunately this doesn't work with spanned or striped disks. I drop all the disk spans from the VM, but cannot reassemble on the next VM.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unmanaged Disks Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support for gzip and/or deflate on Table Storage

I noticed that the Storage team has gone to great lengths to reduce bandwidth usage by switching to JSON. Take this to the next logical step and add support for the Accept-Encoding header in the client libraries and have the server return content gzipped or deflated. JSON compresses quite nicely, especially if the entities returned from a query are similar, which they nearly always will be if you're querying on PartitionKey and RowKey

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable symlinks in Azure Files (SMB)

There is no posibility to create symlinks on Azure Files Samba Shares. It must be enabled on Samba server. Maybe it should be an option?

387 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. View only access to queue, table content in the preview portal

Every time I try free trial and use azure queue and table for practice - I feel that view only access to azure table and queue is not available and I end building my own. It will easier to continue exploring similar azure features if view only access to contents are available - for example, for azure queue - view currently queued messages. If Azure portal is not suitable for it, then may be some Microsoft tool do the same - something like MMC in windows server.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. give the user an option of publish a queue message once a blob is uploaded to container, so that the users don't have to writing cod

give the user an option of publish a queue message once a blob is uploaded to container, so that the users don't have to writing code explicitly to pushing queue message, make this configurable will be perfect. Since the blobs uploaded will probably (what i am doing now) be consumed by other process in some case.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Like (Contains) Operator for Azure Table

It would be very useful to use like (Contains) operator to query for rowkeys or partitionkeys, if it's not possible for partitionkeys then it could just be for rowkeys.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Scanning historical documents that can be keyword search to access

Just as I said above. We have 57 years of historical community foundation information on Donors and Grants to non-profits. We want to put them into the cloud and be able to access the data by keyword or date searching

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Increase the maximum message size of 64k. I know, Sb queues support 256k, but they are too darn slow. We don't need all of the features of

Please increase the max message size limit of 64k. I know SB queues support 256k, but we don't need all the extra features and they are way too slow for our needs. We are in fact moving from SB queues to Storage queue now because of perf issues, and the only thing nipping at us is the reduced message size. 256k would be perfect and would make for a nice parity between the queue.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support sharing database for storage emulator

For team work, we hope we can share the Storage Emulator to use the same database, maybe host on a center test machine. By running command 'wastorageemulator init -server MyServerName -inprocess', it only allows one person to init the storage emulator database (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23127580/can-multi-azure-storage-emulators-config-to-use-same-sql-server).

It's very convenient for team to developer/test the features locally before deploy to cloud.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Paging issue in Azure table Storage 4.0

While using the Azure Table Storage 4.0, i discovered an issue with the paging functionality.
    If fire a query which returns more than 30 records, I have to move to the next page to view the excess records.
    Suppose i was on Page 2 and now i fire a query which returns less than 30 values.
    In this case, I am unable to see any records because the page isn't reset and it still shows me page 2 which has no records.
    I hope you will look into this issue and fix it in the future release.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow batch insert and upsert of rows with different partition keys

Really self-explanatory. This is currently presenting a big bottleneck in my system because I must do up to 100 hundred separate roundtrips where I otherwise could have made a single.

This would also make it a lot easier to choose a proper RowKey/PartitionKey architecture for systems, where both performant insertions and retrievals are important.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve table projection

Table projection is great, however using query-select produces a side effect with entities that don't have the properties defined, as these aren't returned in the resultset.

Query-select should narrow returned properties, not entities...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Queues - Add Multiple Messages in a Single Transaction

“Enhance the Queue API” (http://feedback.windowsazure.com/forums/217298-storage/suggestions/1574639-enhance-the-queue-api) had two features. One was to be able to update the invisibility timeout of a message, which is now completed. The other was to be able to add multiple messages in a single request. If you want that feature, please vote here.

256 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support If-Modified-Since precondition in blob enumeration APIs

(Unless I've missed it somewhere) It would be real nice if last modification time filtered blob enumerations could be applied server-side.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. reduce the minimum Maximum Bandwidth on the Azure Backup Services Backup Agent to less than 512kbps

The Backup Agent for Azure Backup Services includes a feature whereby the maximum bandwidth to be consumed by the agent can be set (according to whether part of the working day or not).

This is a useful feature, but the minimum that the maximum bandwidth can be set to is 512kbps. This is higher than the upstream bandwidth available on many ADSL connections used by small businesses, rendering the feature useless. I suggest that the minimum maximum bandwidth is reduced, say to 128kbps or even 0kbps.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Queues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bulk Retrieve From Table Storage

A number of applications require querying for a set of non-contiguous records. However, for Table Storage, the only way to accomplish this is to issue a single query per record, or filter out the ones that are not needed after the query. In either case, this adds significant latency to getting the final result set.

It would be desirable to have a single bulk retrieve operation (analogous to the rest of the Bulk operations) which can handle non-contiguous retrieves within a single call. It would be completely reasonable to restrict it to a single partition, similar to the other bulk…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix Bug: Azure Blob Client has issues when reading a stream that is larger than StreamMinimumReadSizeInBytes and the buffer is not base2

See attached example C# file that illustrates the issue.
    When using an pageBlob.OpenRead(), along with a non-base2 buffer (i.e. 15 vs 16 bytes) to read the stream ( blobStream.Read(blobBuffer, 0, blobBuffer.Length); ) it will fail when you cross the boundary defined by StreamMinimumReadSizeInBytes

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base