Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a Chocolatey package for Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer

Chocolatey makes it easy to install and upgrade programs. This should be easy to create with each deployment

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Storage Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to specify IP range in the SAS URL when exporting Managed Disk

Managed disks is really great feature, however it seems that user can't specify IP ranges from which to accept requests in SAS URL when exporting the disk.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unmanaged Disks Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CloudStorageAccount.Parse(): Support SafeString

CloudStorageAccount.Parse(): Today takes string as parameter, as it contains username/password, I think it would be better if it took a SafeString.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Now that you've released Managed Disks, allow us to specify IOPS

This has been requested in other forms, but now that you have Managed Disks you're most of the way there. I would like to be able to say "I want a Managed Disk using standard storage, 1TB in size, with 2500 IOPS." Then you figure out how to configure storage to deliver those IOPS without me having to stripe disks, or whatever.

Or perhaps "I want a 1TB Managed Disk using premium storage with 15000 IOPS." Again, you figure out how to configure and provision that, so I don't have to. That would be awesome!

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Managed Disk Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add support for distributed and/or centralized BranchCache mode for Azure Files

Add support for distributed and/or centralized BranchCache mode for Azure Files to provide better end user experience and remove some of the issues with latency.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support deduplication of Azure storage objects (blobs and files)

Add support for deduplication of files stored in Azure Files to save storage space (cost). General file savings are about 50% when using deduplication in Windows Server

251 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mobile client for Azure Files

Create a mobile client for iOS and Android for accessing files on Azure Files. It could be part of OneDrive, Outlook or just a completely new app.

Read-only offline copy support would also be great

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. "Snapshot if exists" function

At the present time, running the "Snapshot Blob" operation against a non-existent blob yields an error.

It would be very useful to have a "Snapshot if exists" operation (or indeed an option on the present "Snapshot Blob"). So that if a blob does not exist, no error is generated.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the lease start datetime as a property of a blob

That will allow us to calculate the age of the lease, which will help in determining if we should break the lease. For example, if a job is terminated an infinite lease will stick on the blob. But if we can calculate how old is the lease, then we can determine whether to break it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SAS behavior for replacing/overwriting blobs

It would be useful to define in the SAS token what to do in case of creating a blob with an existing name. The current behavior replaces/overwrites the existing blob.
    Furthermore the default behavior is somehow a security threat, because a hacker having a SAS could replace existing entries.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. Today, a write (w) permission would be required in the SAS for replacement of existing entries. We have work planned to automatically generate snapshots on overwrites to save existing data in this case. We will provide updates when they become available. For any further questions, or to discuss your specific scenario, send us an email at azurestoragefeedback@microsoft.com.

11. ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions

ability to backup file service storage with automatic retentions directly from the backup vault

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. can we have lable or drive creation on MAC OS currently no support

can we have lable or drive creation on MAC OS currently no support

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Import/Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Access to file storage configuration to use alternate port instead of often blocked port 445

Allow Access to file storage configuration to use alternate port instead of often blocked port 445

1,287 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    92 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

We are evaluating what we can do to address this feedback and would very much appreciate your continued votes and suggestions on it.

One alternative to mounting the share on-premises over port 445 is Azure File Sync, which enables you to create a cache of an Azure file share on an on-premises Windows Server. Azure File Sync only sends data over the Azure Files HTTPS (using the File REST APIs). You can learn more about Azure File Sync here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-sync-files-planning

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

14. storage diagnostics connection info

When storage diagnostics is enabled, show a link or connection info to access the logs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support "Last Accessed" timestamp in blob metadata

With the new "Cool Storage" feature announced recently, it would be useful if we could tell when our "Hot" blobs were last accessed, so we could push them to Cool storage where appropriate. We could achieve this with a proxy service and SAS signatures, but having this automatically updated in the blob metadata itself would be much simpler and remove the requirement for any compute resource being required for simply accessing a blob.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. hotlink prevention

Preventing others to consume my Azure resources via HTTP_REFERER header validation.
    This is a common scenario for blogs, websites etc.

Scott Hanselman has even written a blog post about it: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BlockingImageHotlinkingLeechingAndEvilSploggersWithIISUrlRewrite.aspx

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. move pageblobs already in the cloud to cool storage, you can't!

I was on the phone today with Microsoft Azure. I have 12TB of data in pageblobs that I would like to move to azure cool storage for archiving. Well, the only way to do that is to download them to local HDD and then convert and upload to cool storage. You can not at this time transfer from your azure storage files "in the cloud" over to cool block blobs. Plus, another limitation is that block blobs have a size limit of 195GB due to its internal architecture. I have plenty of pageblobs over 1tb that I would like to…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. See total size used by container/share and by storage account

We have multiple storage accounts each with blobs and other objects. The dashboards should show the total disk usage at every level: across all storage accounts, when clicking on a blob, the total for each folder, etc. Right now, one needs to get to the individual file level to see the size and manually sum it up.

322 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please implement static IP address or Reserved IP address for Blob, file, table, queue services in Storage Account.

We use IP address filtering on our firewall settings in our company network. Now, we need to download IP address range which Microsoft Azure uses once a week and reconfigure our firewall settings if they have any change. That is burden on us. Please implement static IP address or Reserved IP address for Blob, file, table, queue services in Storage Account.

389 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSD storage pricing is way high and the calculator in no way captures the actual cost that's incurred

The SSD pricing is way too costly for us - I tried the calculator ( https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/ ) but when I started using it, it went off charts!! When I got in touch with the customer care, I was told the charge of the disk is list price which is used to multiply the consumed units.

I've been using a single premium storage (SSD) which means I should be charged at $19.71 per month ( 1 X $19.71) and any the consumed units to be charged at $0.0036 per unit, so for instance if I have consumed 2.7 units it should…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base