Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Install MSI from azure file UNC path

If you install an MSI from an Azure file storage SMB you need to map it on a drive. If you do not map it the MSI will result in an MSI error 1619 “This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor the verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package”. We like to install MSI directly from the UNC path.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SFTP (and FTPS) protocol support for Azure Files

Exposing the SFTP protocol would facilitate a bunch of scenarios where today 2 VMs (with all the management overhead that implies) are required.

4,466 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    178 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are interested in collecting feedback on this request – please vote for it if this is something you like to see.

We’re also interested in learning more what people want to use the SFTP/FTPS for and which protocol they prefer. Please feel free to leave us a comment letting us know more detail!

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

3. azcopy with move feature from on premise to Azure Blob Storage

Hi Team,
    Thanks for having such a great tool.
    I've one concern, This just copies the data and does not delete the data from source. This feature was available in older version of azcopy but was removed because someone tried to do the azcopy from multiple machines and it deleted the source data as one of the move operation had succeeded.
    Can you implement this feature once again. as we've setup task scheduler to copy the data to azure blob for archiving purpose and have to verify the data and then delete the source files once manual verification is completed.

138 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  AzCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Storage Explorer

The customer finds that the storage size is growing too fast and wants to go through the directory size list. can we provide a function to compute the total storage size of a folder for ADLS gen2? current version has 'Folder statistics' for common storage type, but for ADLS Gen2 is not supported this feature. Can we add this feature?

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Storage Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. consider azure premium files share for desktop applications which need heavy worloads, latency < 1ms, high I/O but only need 100gb size

We have a .net desktop application for exporters. and run it well in our pc and Area network. We now built a premium files share storage with 500g
    and make a share path with our local machine, we found it works become very slow. if we only open one database file and edit,update one item, it only a little slow. but when we will open,create,update many item and many files. it become very very slow. We also do it from vm machine. when we excute out desktop allpication in vm machine. it is fine. but when we link files share…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

While we have made premium file shares generally available, we agree there is ongoing performance work associated with them.

One of the big performance related items is one you touched on in the description: performance when doing activity on many files at once. Azure Files, on both premium and standard, performance best for read/write operations with few handle/metadata operations (i.e. databases) and less good for scenarios that require lots of handle and metadata operations. We are working to improve this performance category and hope to have more to share soon.

Thanks,

Will Gries
    Program Manager, Azure Files

6. Enable immediate sync after changes on the Azure file share for Azure File Sync

When I make a change on my server endpoint (Windows File Server), Azure File Sync initiates a sync session very quickly after file save, however for changes on the cloud endpoint (Azure file share), I have to wait at least 24 hours to have changes get synced down to my server endpoints.

Please invest in features to initiate a sync session immediately after changes are made cloud-side, or at least increase the interval of sync from the Azure file share.

1,528 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    90 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As you mentioned, we initiate a change detection job once every 24 hours to enumerate the Azure file share and scan for changes. This is required for the Azure file share because Azure Files currently lacks a change notification mechanism like Windows Server has. Long term we will add this capability and have automatic immediate sync.

There is now a way to trigger sync to happen on files that are placed directly in the Azure File share. With this new cmdlet you can point sync to particular files or directories and have it look for changes right then. This is intended for scenarios where some type of automated process in Azure is doing the file edits or migrations are done by an admin (like moving a new directory of files into the share). For end-user changes, the best thing to do is install Azure File Sync in an IaaS VM…

7. Ignore Conditional Headers on File Storage requests via Browser

Conditional Headers are added to requests made by Edge and some other browsers. This means after the first visit, a file stored in Azure File storage cannot be accessed again as the browser sends Conditional Headers in the request (specifically the "If-range" header).

The URL-based file access is a documented and supported method of access. Perhaps the service should ignore the conditional headers if not supported instead of erroring out.

This request is not asking for support of the headers, simply that it doesn't error and serves the original file when such conditional headers are sent.

This is documented here,…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Memory-Optimized off-row storage issue

I have a problem because of data row-size of some tables greater than 8060bytes, so there was some off-row storage in internal xtp DMVs and those tables allocated a memory about 120GB.
    I alter that tables and reduce row-size to less than 8060bytes, the memory allocated to those tables reduce and the allocated memory to object_id=0 is being grow in sys.dm_db_xtp_table_memory_stats. I think The garbage collector thread cant find this orphaned object , thus it cant deallocate memory.
    another issue is 'Memory Allocated To Memory Optimized Objects' is 25GB where 'Memory Used By Memory Optimized Objects' is 62GB,

I offline…

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support blob updates on Event Grid

It would be great if you could support blob updates on Event Grid. A blob change means we need to reprocess the blob.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow adding headers to static website hosting in blob storage

The static website hosting is fantastic, to make this feature even more awesome please allow adding of custom headers like CSP, HSTS etc secure the static website.

338 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have File level soft delete in Azure Files

Implement file level soft delete for Azure files

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make storage service logging ARM managed

Currently, it appears that the storage account diagnostic settings are controlled via service provider API and not ARM API. Therefore, Azure Policy cannot enforce storage service logging settings, although such logging can be a security requirement. From that perspective, it would be better if storage service logging (and perhaps the diagnostic settings generally) were moved under the control of the ARM API and given Azure Policy aliases.

This is a similar request to:
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217298-storage/suggestions/34242376-azure-policy-for-preventing-public-blob-containers

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Static sites: add support for URL rewrite rules

Simple URL rewrite rules are very common in static site hosting, especially rules to map any request to a common index.html page. This allows client-side script to handle the route URL. For example, here's a rule in an Azure Website web.config to do exactly this:

<rule name="Route page requests to index.html" stopProcessing="true" patternSyntax="Wildcard">>
    <match url="*" />
    <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll">
    <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" ignoreCase="true" negate="true" />
    <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" ignoreCase="true" negate="true" />
    </conditions>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="/index.html" />
    </rule>

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Raise the default storage signed version for anonymous requests to above 2011-08-18

My customer used blob to serve anonymous request for their video site. They noticed that users using chrome or android could not adjust the playback progress, which is caused by the low default storage signed version 2009-09-19 not supporting Range in HTTP header.
    Is it possible to raise the default signed version from 2009-09-19 to at least 2011-08-18 so that customer would not need to set the default signed version manually in this case?

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable life cycle management for append blob

Currently life cycle management is only supported for block blob. We are using Azure SQL DB auditing feature and this is creating huge amount of blob files.But these are of append blob type and that is not supported by life cycle management. Please provide support for append blob so that we can manage these log files properly.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Azure File Sync Persistent error alert

Create a metric to generate alerts of persistente errors.
    "Files not syncing" metric include queued files, and is not a error.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. configure more than once-daily scheduled backups of Azure File Shares

I think all of us migrating from "StorSimple devices" require similar backup capabilities with Azure File Sync. The constraint of 180 daily snaps shots limits capabilities & redundancy. As this is the Microsoft preferred & Microsoft recommended migration path from "StorSimple devices", then a similar capability of having daily snap shops, weekly snap shots & monthly snap shots for backups makes more sense & greatly enhances AFS capability. Right now to retrieve a file from any deletion point, I require 180 snapshots to go back 6 months. If I were allowed to have daily, weekly, monthly & perhaps even annual…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable Authorization to the Azure Static Websites using Azure Active Directory

Right now, there is development done to use Blob storage for a static website (known as Azure Static Websites). The feature is in preview.

However, the downside of this is that the website is public. There is no built-in to restrict the access to the website.

In my use case, I would have used Azure Static Websites to store the static documentation produced by DocFx (https://dotnet.github.io/docfx/). This documentation includes the classes as well including technical documentation and wikis.

I would be great if I could use my Azure Active Directory to control who can actually see the pages…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blobs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable Storage Account Firewall to access from App Service without ASE

Currently it is not possible to configure storage account firewall to accept requests from App Services event whitelist outbound IP addresses of Appservices.
    It is great if above is possible

297 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Conditional Access Support for Storage Explorer

Is it possible to add support for the following?

"Conditional access is not supported when Storage Explorer is being used on Windows 10, Linux, or macOS. This is due to a limitation in the AAD Library used by Storage Explorer."

We are blocking non-administrative accounts to access any cloud app except for the ones we want to allow.

However some of our non-administrative users need access to a file share without using a windows vm using SMB. So we want to let these accounts use the Azure Storage Explorer to access these file shares.

However with our current conditional access…

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Storage Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base